Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Freightliner Evolution chassis owners: I have noticed a clunk about half-way through the air bag inflate process (after storing jacks.) The loud "clunk" from the air bag area happens once during the inflation cycle.

It doesn't happen every time, maybe every other time during the jacks-store/bag-inflate cycle.

???????

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Freightliner Evolution chassis owners: I have noticed a clunk about half-way through the air bag inflate process (after storing jacks.) The loud "clunk" from the air bag area happens once during the inflation cycle.

It doesn't happen every time, maybe every other time during the jacks-store/bag-inflate cycle.

???????

--John

Old 08-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

John,
Yes, we have the "classic" clunk as well! I believe that comes from the air bag seating in the metal cap at the top of the bag, much like a tire that is being inflated on a metal rim. I have looked under the coach after the air has been dumped for leveling, and the air bags are collapsed (scrunched up) significantly. Hence, the analogy of inflating a tire. If this is indeed why the clunk happens, I hope the air bag seats properly during inflation.
Rihcard

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Could it be one of the levelers "clunking" into place? I have noticed it a couple of times after being parked for a few days. ?????
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same noise, sounds just like a tire popping into the rim when being inflated. I have always assumed that's the air bag seating.

Robert
Old 08-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine can pop or clunk pretty loud, especially if I press the 'rabbit' button which inflates the bags more quickly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreyDog:
John,
Yes, we have the "classic" clunk as well! I believe that comes from the air bag seating in the metal cap at the top of the bag, much like a tire that is being inflated on a metal rim. I have looked under the coach after the air has been dumped for leveling, and the air bags are collapsed (scrunched up) significantly. Hence, the analogy of inflating a tire. If this is indeed why the clunk happens, I hope the air bag seats properly during inflation.
Rihcard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! Give that man a cigar.

It is nothing more than the bag settling in, and the sound of air escaping out of a pocket as it reinflates.

Generally, nothing to be concerned about.

Also, if you had parked on a slope (we all know campsites are perfectly level) and there was torque applied to the leveling legs, they may well make a sound as the coach is raising up and the torque is released. Not quite the same popping sound, but a loud and disconcerning sound no less. It may also be joined with a little unwanted coach movement.

Good call as well!

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys - that was a pretty scary noise the first time I heard it. An explanation in the Winney owner's manual would have been nice and saved me an anxious moment or two.

--John

Old 08-09-2005, 04:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

John,

Unfortunately, many things are omitted from the Winney manuals. For that reason, this forum is invaluable for us....We can easily connect with others who have or are having similar experiences.

Hopefully, Winnebago Industries reads some of our posts! The company can learn a tremendous amount about the good, bad, and the ugly of products produced in Forest City.

Isn't this more fun than reading soporific manuals eventhough the manuals do have useful info?

Richard

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hey Richard,

It is certainly faster in most cases to come to the forum - that's for sure! I have learned things about RVing and about the coach that would have taken me years to pick up on my own. I know some RV manufacturers read user forums - don't remember which ones (might have been Tiffin.) If Winnie doesn't take advantage of the customer comments/feedback/problems here on the forum, they are realling missing some valuable data.

--John

(I'm weird - I don't mind reading the manuals!)