Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Cat. Converter DELETE? What about the o2 sensor?

I'm about to have the hole in my exhaust filled. The Cat was cut out about a month ago. I've been thinking about how to protect it from being stolen again on a different thread.

A different option is to have it replaced (covered by insurance) then take the cat out and store it for whenever we sell the unit. In the mean time make a section of straight pipe to bolt in its place. Next time someone slides under to cut it out they wont find one

But i think there might be a couple of problems.

First, there is an o2 sensor mounted on the Cat. So i could weld a mount onto the straight pipe and put an o2 sensor in there.

Thoughts?
Would the reading be correct?
Would it send a code?
Would an incorrect reading tell the computer to send more/less
fuel?

Second, not put sensor in at all. I'd have to look at the "check engine" light all the time because I'm pretty sure it would send a code.

Thoughts?
Would no reading tell the computer to send more/less
fuel?

I may still go back to the idea of putting on a plate to make it difficult to remove. I like the idea of wrapping the area in barbed wire (one of the suggestions) but not too sure how i would do that without ripping my body apart

Thanks in advance

Edit. We don't have emission testing here anymore.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
Thoughts?
Other than it's illegal to operate a vehicle without out one you mean?

Sure you'd probably never get caught - but why stop there. This opens up a whole new way of thinking of stuff. If I probably won't get caught then why not do it?

Oh and there is this: It may throw an engine fault code as it does look for the catalyst to filter before reaching the rear oxygen sensor present in your exhaust system to adjust fuel curves or Air to Fuel ratio.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Question

Heck just move to Vancouver Island, but with a replacement cat converter on so you can register it in British Columbia, then convert to a full egr delete Cummins like some of the red neck Dodge Ram heads do around here. They take pride in shaking the windows of the buildings while driving down Douglas street and choking every kid in a stroller and anyone that is driving behind them. Or just run it in Nevada where excessive air pollution is perfectly legal.

I am being a jerk, hell yes. Having a cat stolen is not a very pleasant way to open a season on the road, I wish you the best in replacing it and do hope that you still have an intact wallet after putting the bill(s).

Cateleptic corn burner theft for the high dollar scrap value platinum is turning into an industry and is maddening as hell to say the least for those of us who try to keep our exhaust gas output as clean as is possible.

On the bright side: there are ways to ward off thieves. Or at least scare the crap out of them. For instance: an alarm circuit that detects the difference in impedance that happens when you remove a component as large as an exhaust segment with platinum in it. Or more simply, extra trigger sensor wires that would also need to be snipped along with the O2 sensor line that needs to be snipped or broken off just to remove the cat.

High powered outdoor hidden speakers could easily go off shouting out that a thief is attempting to steal the motor home. Or if your intention is to wake up the dead then place hidden air raid level siren horns on the roof of the motor home that go off with the music system in the motor home. That is until the police and/or military show up and shoot the motor home dead!

There are many ways to alarm something as huge as a house on wheels that has large battery capacity. I am certain that tamper alarms are coming in the very near future to your local RV dealer department stores.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Funny that ..

I just ordered a new cat the other day. Insurance will pay for the tow, cat, labor etc. (minus $300cdn deductible). But i don't want the inconvenience nor the worry or aggravation so I spent a lot of today looking for solutions.

Deleting it isn't really an option. Alarming it or making it more difficult and therefor more likely a thief will go somewhere else is.

So where am i leaning after all this?

Well if you want to throw some money and total piece of mind I'd suggest the Cat Clamp for $200 - $900USD I think that a thief seeing the cat clamp would just slid back out and leave.

Another very good option with a sound alarm is the Cat Strap for $200 - $300USD. A thief seeing the cat strap might try to cut his way through it if you didn't have the sound alarm option. If alarmed, they would slide away to an easier target. Without the alarm they might try to cut their way through until they realized they couldn't. Then you wouldn't have an insurable claim (not stolen nor worth more than $300 to fix) and would have to have the damage welded up. The sound alarm also creates the complexity of having to remember to turn it off and on.

I've also seen where people have welded bars across the frame to and around the cat. Again, the thought being the thief would just roll out and go somewhere easier. I was thinking about looking into hardened steal bars. I'm not a steel salesman or welder so don't know if, dollar wise, it would be just simpler to buy one of the options above. Anyone know?

I've also seen covers/skid plates made of aluminum, wire and expanded steel. again, not being a steel sales person etc etc.

That's where I'm at as of this holiday Easter Friday. tomorrow I'm planning on contacting a couple of muffler shops to see what they suggest. Maybe they have been welding or installing cat straps or .......

Ill keep you informed.

BTW, this Covid crap has really screwed up getting things ordered out of the states. I'd usually take advantage of the cheaper shipping within the USA and ship to Point Roberts Wa. Because we cant do that right now shipping costs are just stupid.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you have a bad case of the lower mainland blues, Park just about anywhere close to Surrey and walk away from an rv and chances are something will be different when you get back to your rv. Sister in law in Surrey tells us that light old bolers and other light fiber glass trailers without brakes are a really hot ticket for the back woods rv sales market. So it isn't just the black market in scrap cat converters that is heating up.

The midnight auto wrecker crowd is still alive and kicking in BC, they are not just filling shipping containers with pieces of beemers and Porsches now they have added the rv parts recycling resale racket to their resume. Some of the best of the worst even had the gear and could lift a whole car into the back of a waiting stake side in minutes. Like when the BCIT crowd nabbed the statue of Gassy Jack. Simple trick if you have a hiab crane truck.

Great to hear that you have comprehensive on your motorhome.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter