Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #21

Lets take the tires;; Go to Utube check RV accidents :"" We blew Out 2 On our Advantage; Less then 3 years old. While traveling at 65 MPH.... I would like to make it clear. As we have lost friends that were To cheap to Buy new tires;/ If you can't afford New tires. DO NOT MOVE THE COACH;;; I know it sounds Harsh . I am trying to save a LIFE;;;; Your House Must have a good foundation;;;; Not sand;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I would:
Service the brakes (include cleaning calipers and bleeding). It's better to not be able to get it started when you want than to not be able to get it stopped when you need.
The tire ripples look like the seams where the tire is fused during manufacture - might not be an issue. The date code is on the tires somewhere (DOT number).
Engine is probably a 454 - a good engine but the carb is going to eat a lot of gas (like about 6MPG). Put a couple hundred local miles on it prior to your trip.
Get Coachnet roadside assistance insurance prior to leaving.
While on the road drive slow - below 60MPH - You'll get used to it:>)
One more - figure out what you have for a parking/emergency brake, learn how it works and make sure it does work.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymon3x6 View Post
Thanks guys, we looked very hard to find a date (serial number last four digits = week/year) but could not see one. I could not tell you how old they are and neither could the owner. Had plenty of tread though, easily 1/4-1/2in

If we are going to Cali from CT, we want everything to work right. Thing is, we are on a budget, so 6 tires at $300 a pop won't help. If it is just mild ripples, than that puts my mind to rest.

Here are a few pics of the rotor with the issue, pretty hard to see much but maybe a trained eye could spot something.

Rotor 1

Rotor 2 (one with issue if I remember correctly)

Anyone else chime in on the brake/tire issues? Thanks!
The age of these tires is very important. The amount of tread almost doesn't matter. Motorhomes are generally not driven enough to wear out the tires before they age out. Tires between 7-10 years are in need of replacement and 10 years or over should not be in service.

The date code will only be on one side of each tire, so could be toward the inside. If manufactured after 1/1/2000 there will be a 4 digit code. It will appear on a line of numbers and letters. The line starts with DOT and the last 4 digits will be in an oval ended block. 2206 is the 22nd week of 2006.

If manufactured before the end of '99 the date code will be 3 digit. 229 is the 22nd week of '99.

If this thing works out for you, make double sure the tires and brakes are in good shape, lube the chassis, change the oil & all filters and watch your speed. It's an old machine and you will be stressing it to its capacity.

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

From your pics it looks like the rotors are pitted with rust. You may be able to get them turned if there is enough material on them.
I agree with most on this post, replace the tires for a cross country trip. Dry rotted tires are hard to spot and they just don't go flat, they explode. Look very carefully at the sidewalls, if you see hairline cracks or tires are stiff.....I would replace for sure.

Are you going across the middle of the country or along the coast?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info. When we looked at the tires - they appeared fine. No cracks, just the slight ripples. But I will get that stuff checked out along with the brakes should we choose to purchase this one.

Our trip route is going from CT - through PA - under Chicago - through Denver - Utah - Las Vegas and arrive in Santa Monica.

On the way back, we are planning to go the southern route through Arizona - New Mexico - Texas - Oklahoma - head back up to Missouri - Ohio and then PA and back to CT. Not too sure if we will due this due to the heat, but if we can make it through Utah/NV on the way down then we may be able to make it through NM and AZ on the way back. I would really like to see route 66.

Basically map it out on google maps: start out from CT and throw in Santa Monica CA. First route is what we will take down, second/third route (under the selection menu) is the one we plan on taking on the way back.
Waymon3x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Looks like nice RV. Get the 2 front tires replaced as well as front brakes turned and slides lubed. Get a new snorkel hose on the air cleaner so it can get fresh air from outside instead of engine air. Mileage will SUCK if you keep speed down it helps a lot.

To start give 5 pumps crank 10 seconds 5 more pumps. Mine took 3-4 times like this in the spring to start. You might even consider driving at night when its cooler to keep tire heat down and take a little strain off the engine.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Those do look like internal seams on those tires. (Broken belt generally shows as a localized bump/swelled area on the sidewall.) Check the date codes and replace the tires if they're too old; not worth the risk. Get the front brakes serviced; even if the caliper has to be replaced it's not that expensive. (Chevy truck calipers are probably cheaper than the ones on a lot of cars these days!) If the brake drags and runs hot, it can overheat the wheel bearing and seals.

You said the brakes are hard? Is the power steering also stiff, or giving noise from the belt? If so, check the power steering belt and replace it if in doubt. The brake boost is supplied by the power steering pump. Poor or no power steering will kill your brake boost. Personally, I've found that changing and tightening the power steering belt on the 454 in a motorhome is a monumental pain because it's in an awful spot to get wrenches on. As a result, lots of owners defer this essential maintenance point, and you'll find it ready to let go on old rigs. NOT good to have happen on the road -- you loose steering boost, brake boost, and the shredded belt will tend to wrap up into the fan and alternator belts and take them out, too. Bottom line, get the power steering belt checked and replace it if at all in doubt. If the owner doesn't know when it was done last, get it replaced.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Try a few moderately hard applications of the brake pedal (while stopped) and then a couple from 30mph (check road clear in front and behind) because if the calliper isn't retracting because of lack of movement, doing that may free it up enough so the piston seal deformation does retract the pads clear of the rotor.

Tyres - call by a reputable tyre dealer and get their opinion. Won't cost anything and there is no compulsion to accept their advice. No call to replace tyres based on age either. If there was, it would be made into law.

Have fun.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #29

There are things to talk about and things to do;; A mentioned in prior Posts the tires are Not fit to be on the road.... Second The Calyipers Need to be taken apart cleaned and a new O ring installed. Or let some one you don't like take it on a trip;; As they maybe will not make it back... I know it sounds cold but, I have a hard time Inspecting A coach When it has a tire problem. ( $400.00 a piece Times 6== $2400.00 for tires. It seems the tire issue is put on a back burner and the rest of the coach is admired.. The issue is the TIRES and the BRAKES; Top of the list. No more needs to be said. I just call it commom scense; No more no less
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Tires are a no brainer as they should have been replaced 6 months ago. After 5 years you are riding on borrowed time.

Brakes should be flushed and refilled every 2 years and the caliper guide cleaned and greased with hi-temp silicone brake grease. When you purchase a 32 year old vehicle you need to go through it with a fine tooth comb and verify all systems on the chassis and in the coach.

Grease, lube, adjust and then double check. Pay very close attention to rubber brake lines and fuel hoses especially and clean off any oil build up in the engine compartment so as to not have additional fuel for a fire.

Coollant hoses, belts and all other rubber items should be checked. The propane system should be leak tested too.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymon3x6 View Post
Thanks for all the info. When we looked at the tires - they appeared fine. No cracks, just the slight ripples. But I will get that stuff checked out along with the brakes should we choose to purchase this one.

Our trip route is going from CT - through PA - under Chicago - through Denver - Utah - Las Vegas and arrive in Santa Monica.

On the way back, we are planning to go the southern route through Arizona - New Mexico - Texas - Oklahoma - head back up to Missouri - Ohio and then PA and back to CT. Not too sure if we will due this due to the heat, but if we can make it through Utah/NV on the way down then we may be able to make it through NM and AZ on the way back. I would really like to see route 66.

Basically map it out on google maps: start out from CT and throw in Santa Monica CA. First route is what we will take down, second/third route (under the selection menu) is the one we plan on taking on the way back.
When I bought my coach in Florida I inspected all the 5 year old tires very well, no cracks and no defects at all. When I got to New Mexico I lost the tread off one of the rears. I then looked at all the other 5 and every one of them had weather cracks. It hadbeen sitting inside a garage and the tires had dried out I guess. Then after hard use and high heat conditions they started showing the age. So just because they look good does not mean they will make a cross country trip. I would really suggest new tiresand a brake inspection and forsure a caliper lube and fluid change, this is your life we are talking about.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

First,,, I understand being on a budget... BUT,,, being an old trucker,, you do NOT want a steer tire to blow out... We paid just under $1200 for 6 new Cooper tires on our class A , so depending on the size, (I might have missed that), you won't spend $400 a tire ... (ours are 16") You might think about two new steer tires, then keep an eye on the drive tires...If one of those blow out, it may damage the coach, but won't put you in the ditch,,, or worse... Every gas or rest stop, first thing I do is a walk around, feel the tires and wheels, look for leaks,, etc... The hot wheel is REALLY something to fix... Like said before, probably a brake caliper sticking due to age or sitting. Jack the front end up and try turning the tire by hand. If the brake is dragging, replace the caliper, not that expensive, 1 hour maybe including bleeding the brakes... Look at the belts and hoses on the engine. Take a roll of duct tape and water in your tank... I want you to be safe,,, BUT you can do it without spending thousands of dollars like it's water... Now,, let me get flamed.... LOL.... Now days we are in a posistion we have done a Bunch of "prevenetive maintenence" on our 95,, and I'd take it across country (again) tomorrow,,, but it wasn't cheap... Have a great time !!!!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #33

I would like to make my position clear. You can Buy cheaper Tires, Yes you can.. If I cannot pernounace the name I will not put it on My vehical;; I like Firestone , Goodyear, Mich; Cooper , and a fuw others.. I dont' like Kazzmetmato or Roadexplodo, Or TokylyfeInhand, Goumbie; Enjoy. No matter how it is said. Do the right thing. Life is good.

Tags
tires