Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Brake Recall Question 2002 Winnebago 35U

Hi folks,

Not a Winnebago owner yet, but hoping to be soon. So we hope it's ok to post here.

We're looking at purchasing a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. After doing some research on this board we saw that there was a brake recall for units on the Workhorse Custom Chassis along with a suggestion to input the VIN and see if it was "on the list"

So we did and it turns out that the website says, Is my motorhome affected by the Workhorse Voluntary Brake Recall?

When entering the VIN it simply says "Your VIN is included"

So it would seem to us that our potential motorhome is affected by this recall, but we can't tell if the work was ever performed or not.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring View Post
Hi folks,

Not a Winnebago owner yet, but hoping to be soon. So we hope it's ok to post here.

We're looking at purchasing a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. After doing some research on this board we saw that there was a brake recall for units on the Workhorse Custom Chassis along with a suggestion to input the VIN and see if it was "on the list"

So we did and it turns out that the website says, Is my motorhome affected by the Workhorse Voluntary Brake Recall?

So it would seem to us that our potential motorhome is affected by this recall, but we can't tell if the work was ever performed or not.

Next step would be to call their customer service number and talk to a person.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hi folks,

If you will provide me the last 8 digits of the Chassis vin #, I can check that for you. Ed
Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Ed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If you will provide me the last 8 digits of the Chassis vin #, I can check that for you. Ed
Here are the last 8 digits Ed. Thank you!

Respectfully,
Old 12-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'll get the info and get back to you later tonight. Ed
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks again.

Quote:
Really appreciate it Ed, thank you again. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have the "build sheet" data & warranty records. For that vin# it shows a 2002 W-22, but the GVWR is 20,700 which makes it a W-20, IMO. If you want to see all the info, send an email to [email protected] so I can attach it to a reply (it does not display correctly in a PM here).

Regarding the recall, actually there were TWO(2) recalls related to the Bosch brakes on those early W models. The "first" recall, 50401-C, was to replace only the slide pins on which the calipers move. Originally they were described by Bosch as ZOPS style pins, and these pins were blamed for some early caliper sticking issues. BOSCH decided to replace them with a new style pin design called ZOH-T. The second recall, 51101-C, became necessary when, even with the ZOH-T pins, owners were still experiencing caliper sticking / brake dragging problems and the number of units affected was growing. BOSCH "redesigned" these 66mm calipers and Workhorse ASCs have replaced them on thousands of chassis. The WCC records show that the caliper recall 51101-C is still open on that chassis. However, some of the repair history has me confused about the certainty of this, therefore: The best way to know for sure is to look at the backside of all four calipers for a date code greater than 0154A stamped below the casting number.

I will be happy to continue this off-forum via email.
Ed
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Wow! Thank you!

Quote:
I have the "build sheet" data & warranty records. For that vin# it shows a 2002 W-22, but the GVWR is 20,700 which makes it a W-20, IMO. If you want to see all the info, send an email to [email protected] so I can attach it to a reply (it does not display correctly in a PM here).

Regarding the recall, actually there were TWO(2) recalls related to the Bosch brakes on those early W models. The "first" recall, 50401-C, was to replace only the slide pins on which the calipers move. Originally they were described by Bosch as ZOPS style pins, and these pins were blamed for some early caliper sticking issues. BOSCH decided to replace them with a new style pin design called ZOH-T. The second recall, 51101-C, became necessary when, even with the ZOH-T pins, owners were still experiencing caliper sticking / brake dragging problems and the number of units affected was growing. BOSCH "redesigned" these 66mm calipers and Workhorse ASCs have replaced them on thousands of chassis. The WCC records show that the caliper recall 51101-C is still open on that chassis. However, some of the repair history has me confused about the certainty of this, therefore: The best way to know for sure is to look at the backside of all four calipers for a date code greater than 0154A stamped below the casting number.

I will be happy to continue this off-forum via email.
Ed
Ed, you are so kind to take that kind of time. Brittany and I really appreciate it. I'll be sending you an email this morning. The email should be coming from eshighland [@] gmail dot com.

Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have the "build sheet" data & warranty records. For that vin# it shows a 2002 W-22, but the GVWR is 20,700 which makes it a W-20, IMO. If you want to see all the info, send an email to [email protected] so I can attach it to a reply (it does not display correctly in a PM here).Ed
Wow! That's a lot of MH for a W20 chassis! If it were me, I would pass on that one unless it were on a W22 chassis. JMHO.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The chassis size is OK for a 35U. Personally I had to settle for the equivalent Ford F53 when I bought my 2001 35U and it has been very low cost to maintain. Good old Kelsy Hayes brakes that I can maintain myself with the only problem I have had being a cheap set of pads that the previous owner installed loosing the friction media while I was out in Fayette Alabama stuck on an abandoned airfield. Was able to get all the required parts from the local Napa store and take care of it myself with little drama.

I really did not want the Ford and have to admit they are not that bad. Actually this one has been pretty good.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you are buying from a private sale, Ask them and if the answer is "Done" get it in writing.

Dealer: Same thing

NOTE: often when they pull the calipars, if the problem has in fact affected your MH, the rotors (EXPENSIVE) will need replacement as well.. Workhorse will not cover this even though everything I and many others know about brakes say they should.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When mine was done. the Workhorse dealer (Redlands in my case) put a decal under the hood in a very obvious spot.

My 35U is a W20 which has been OK, I am about 500 pounds under my GVW with all of my stuff loaded.

I wanted the Workhorse mostly because of the Allison 5 speed and a bigger engine was fine by me (as compared to the Fords)
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Ed, you are so kind to take that kind of time. Brittany and I really appreciate it. I'll be sending you an email this morning.......
Thanks again!
I replied to your email with the info attached.

Let us know what you decide.
Ed

Tags
brake, recall, winnebago