Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Brake problems W22

I should think you are all getting fed up with this subject SORRY!

We have a 2005 winnie voyage,W22 chassis about 15 months ago I replaced all the phenolic 66mm pistons in the calipers, new pads, both rear rotors, all hoses, both rear abs sensors, flushed brake fluid. sailed through the MOT x 2, great.
2 weeks ago drove some 160 miles on motorways, no problem last 11 miles a lot of twist and turns, brake burning smell unable to stop along the road, to narrow, arrived on site, LHF and RHR rotors cherry red, cooled off and working
Question one I noticed the gasket on one section of the master cylinder vent was collapsed against the cap, (boiled brake fluid pressure ? ) according to my info, the brakes are split front and back where as the problem would indicate diagonal brake lines ? can anyone confirm which it is please?
I am going to replace all the brake components , I can get hold of reman calipers with 73 mm steel pistons, has anybody done this? As we are a damp area of the world(UK) I am not inclined to go down the phenolic route again.
I know this is going to cost me a packet, with shipping to the UK and all, but we are full timing and I am a retired Truck engineer, so will do all the work myself, (you only have to mention RV and you can see £££s signs in their eyes)
Sorry this is so long.

Regards
All the good numbers

John
Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like more of a brake balance/master cylinder problem.
I doubt the issue is with the individual brake components unless they were installed incorrectly or the RF and LR have a lot of air in the lines.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Brake issue

I owned an 05 Winnebago with the Workhorse W-22 chassis. I went thru the brake problems. The only difference with the fix was the calipers (not just the pistons) were replaced along with along with pads , rotors and fluid. Every thing was good until I sold it.
I have never hears of diagonal breaking on a workhorse chassis.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have you had the Bosch brake recall (50901-C) performed? Workhorse will replace all 4 calipers at no charge.

Tags
brake, ems, problems