Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brake controller

I have a 2000 winnebago adventurer on a f53 chassis i am trying to find a connection for a brake controller but not having much luck i know someome has done one out there somewhere please help
OSSKOBRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSSKOBRET View Post
I have a 2000 winnebago adventurer on a f53 chassis i am trying to find a connection for a brake controller but not having much luck i know someome has done one out there somewhere please help
my moho is on the wh chassis so may be different from yours.
the brake wire i was looking for under the dash was supposed to be blue.
after much searching, i was unable to find it.
i ran a new 14 gauge wire along the frame rail and used ty wraps to secure it to the existing wire bundle.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Same thing here... we're on a Workhorse chassis and had to run a new wire from the controller back to the trailer plug. Our previous MH was a class C on a Ford chassis though and there was a wire already there. You might start at the trailer plug in the rear, look for the wire coming out of the terminal for a brake controller and trace it to see if it goes all the way up front.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On the Ford chassis there isn't a single wire that goes to the brake controller but rather a plug with several wires (can't remember the number). The plug is generally taped to the steering column or to the wiring harness that runs by the column.

We use a Tekonsha Prodigy controller. It requires a short jumper harness since the plug and the receptical aren't identical. I just looked for a plug that matched the socket end of the adaptor harness.

I doubt the brake wire (#10 blue) is terminated in the trailer hitch socket unless someone has towed a trailer or car with this unit before. Ford does not install the hitch socket it's dne by Winnebago. Ford leaves all wires going to the rear of the coach (brake lights, tail lights, trailer lights, trailer brakes, etc) taped in the harness at the rear of the original frame.

When Winnebago extends the frame they terminate all the wires (except the #10 blue brake wire) at the proper places. The brake wire is taped off and folded back toward the front of the chassis and tucked back into the original chassis wiring harness. On our coach I had to add about 4' of #10 blue wire and terminate it in the trailer hitch socket. The whole process of installng the controller and extending the wire took about an hour.

When we went to the Winnebago GNR the next year I asked a Winnebago rep why they terminated all the wires except the one for the brakes. His response was that the dealer was supposed to extend the wire if they were aware that the customer planned to tow a trailer or dolly that had electric brakes.

I hpoe by now they terminate ALL the wires. It was a real head scratcher trying to figure out why the brakes didn't work after the controller was installed. When I found and terminated the last wire all was well.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs has it right. I remember now that there was a plug hidden under the dash by Ford and I purchased the jumper with the proper connectors from Tekonsha to connect to the Prodigy brake controller. At the rear of the motorhome the brake wire running from the front stopped where the frame extension started. Once I found and connected that cut end to the trailer plug wire everything worked.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks ill have a look at it monday,when i called ford they were not sure if they provided a hookup on that year.There are alot of wires bundled up in front of the box for the levelers so ill have to dig into it and see what i find, again thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Brake controller

well got back of motorhome wired........looked for about one hour under dash ........and i mean looked like crazy for adapter plug i figured if the factory has a wire labeled brake controll under the coach they gotta have one wired up front.............almost gave up took one more look insid dashpod and there it was all taped up and hiden smakc dab in the middle of all the wires on top under dash pod....funny thing is the parts person sold me the wrong connector.....well at least now i know where all the wires are for everything HAHAHA A BIG THANKS TO YOU THAT HAVE REPLIED