Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brake caliper fire

Good Morning. I have a 2012 Adventure 37F,24,000 I believe on a 2011 chassis. Wife and I left Sunday for Hilton Head Island. Stop in Selma, North Carolina first night everything fine with the motorhome. Second day Wife and I head out travel about 330 miles and are about 1 mile from our destination sitting at a toll booth when we started smelling rubber burning and when we reach the booth the toll collector tells me my wheel is smoking (drivers front wheel). I pull over get out sure enough the wheel is on fire. Long story short, I put out the fire and wait a while for wheel to cool down, then continue on the last mile with no problems but the bad smell. I have a mechanic that works for the resort coming to take a look and will hopefully know more later. Any one out there had problems with the calipers or brakes locking up on the Ford chassis.I'll get back when I find out what happen. Thanks Steve.
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Steve ; did you check on the " Ford Chassis " forums for any reposts of brake lock up or fires? Or possible Recalls ?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You will most likely need a new rotor and caliper after this happened. I had an Adventurer on the P-30 chassis and the same thing happened to the front right wheel. I pulled off the road, let it cool down and continued on my way home but did have to do the replacement afterwards. That 1997 chassis had lousy brakes in my opinion. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This is a very common problem with the Ford chassis.
The calipers slide on a metal bar and that bar is known to rust, especially in an infrequently used motor home. The brake slides need to be clean, rust free and lubricated. The rust tends to bind the caliper after application and the pads then "ride" on the rotor, causing heat.
If yours are/were rusty, they should be replaced.
I concur that your rotors and possibly the caliper be replaced. Especially if you put out the fire with water. The heat/shock cycle with the water probably did the rotor no good.

This problem comes up frequently. Since the brake pads tend to last many years (due to limited mileage), I would recommend making this a maintenance item on anyone's list. Have a brake shop remove the caliper from the caliper bracket and have the caliper mating surfaces cleaned and lubed. It would take a competent mechanic about one hour to do both sides.

Good luck
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

SKIP426,530KTM AND SUPER LUCKY. Thanks for your input. I'm having everything replaced, rotor, caliper , bracket and pads and may due the same on the passenger side to feel safe. Have not received a price yet,(have no choice), but the mechanic here at the resort I have used in the past is fair and has experience with diesel's and large trucks. I did use a fire extinguisher, and yes it does sit more then it should. Said to say my old 99 challenger on the Ford chassis, that I had for 12 years, never gave me a problem and it sat longer. Before I sign off is there a site on replacing and repairing, maybe part numbers. Thanks, Steve.
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4539 View Post
SKIP426,530KTM AND SUPER LUCKY. Thanks for your input. I'm having everything replaced, rotor, caliper , bracket and pads and may due the same on the passenger side to feel safe. Have not received a price yet,(have no choice), but the mechanic here at the resort I have used in the past is fair and has experience with diesel's and large trucks. I did use a fire extinguisher, and yes it does sit more then it should. Said to say my old 99 challenger on the Ford chassis, that I had for 12 years, never gave me a problem and it sat longer. Before I sign off is there a site on replacing and repairing, maybe part numbers. Thanks, Steve.
Workhorse had a similar problem with calipers "hanging up" and dragging the pads until the wheel ends over-heated and melted/damaged other components. Those were BOSCH calipers with 66MM pistons, and it was finally determined to be caused by the phenolic pistons swelling inside their bore and not releasing when the braking pressure was released. Bosch modified the calipers and Workhorse recalled over 100,000 chassis to replace all 4 calipers. I don't KNOW if your F53 chassis used the Bosch 66MM piston calipers or not, but there is a casting number and other info about the recall in the Workhorse forum here on iRV2.com Click on the first link in post #1 HERE: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/offic...1-c-75575.html
Old 09-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Steve

I don't have any part numbers but I would strongly suggest that your mechanic inspect/clean/lube the other side. If one side hung up, there is a great chance that the other caliper is in similar condition.
It shouldn't take long, nor cost you much additional money for the peace of mind.

Good luck

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake