Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bent axles?

We purchased a new Micro Minnie 2100bh on 4/3/21. My wife claims that the tires look wobbly when it is being towed. I checked their torque and had the tires balanced, and she still sees the wobble. I crawled under the trailer and noticed that both axles are bowed upward toward the the trailer floor. Is this normal? I would have thought that the axles would be straight, but I don’t know. It could be a torsion thing. Does any body know anything about this?
tstormsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Take your MM back to the dealer immediately. Your situation is not normal. You need to know what your axle settings are. There are three settings. Could be dealer did not properly align axles with your preferred lift setting. Dangerous to travel as you are.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The wobble does not sound good at all. The axle curve is pretty normal. I'd have it checked out.

https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-axles-101/

https://www.etrailer.com/question-154877.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	982
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	178432  
Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Info from a service manager

Thanks for your responses. Turns out the axles are curved for a purpose (camber weight distribution). The wobble appears from a change in camber of the tires when the twin axle trailer is turning sharply.
tstormsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Twin torsion axles behave independently and are not coupled so the track is set by their separation distance. Too close together and skidding on slick pavement or gravel can be a problem because the weight is point loaded closer together and there will be a slightly less traction factor. Spread out independent single axles and the opposite occurs the lateral forces are distributed over a wider area and a greater load will increase the lateral loading of the tires during a turn.

With trailers over 2 tonnes they are much safer option on slick pavement and gravel than a single 5200 lb axle setup if the weight transfer to the axle is wider. In the case of the Winnie drop 6'5" wide series the weight is not as close to being directly over the tire so the 8 foot wide single axle is safe at speed because the weight cause less sideways motion and is transferred to the tires across the frame of the trailer without the use of torsion bars. Your trailer is heavier still and has a 7' wide profile so a single axle is not a good idea because side to side sway can become a real issue with that profile. Either way, high speed turns are not a good thing for tire wear on any RV... that is unless you compete in chuck wagon racing.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just to confirm as stated already the axle curve I believe is normal. I was one of the lucky ones who got an under rated axle and had it replaced. Both axles are curved.
Dnalyr91 is offline   Reply With Quote