Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Balancing Beads

Am going to put new tires on my Itasca 34D motorhome.

Having a hard time finding a dealer (at a decent price) that can balance
245/70R19.5.

Two dealers have suggested "balancing beads" which I had never heard of.

Research on the web yields, as expected, both rave opinions and scorn.

Anybody on the list use them and recommend them?

Thanks,

Allan
ahobgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I used DynaBeads in my pickup (17" wheels) and in the motorhome (22.5" wheels). Their webpage, DynaBeads has a chart of suggested amounts for various vehicle types. They are based here in Rochester. They work very well. The main competitors are EQUAL and CENTRAMATIC. My research steered me to DynaBeads. Videos on youtube show these products in action.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am using DynaBeads in my front motorcycle tire as others have also done. They are ceramic beads so if you have to add air they will not lump together. In my Itasca Suncruiser I had balancing powder put in. The bad part here is you should use dry air or the powder will lump up, thus the ceramic. I would not be afraid to use DynaBeads, as they will re-balance the tire everytime the tires start rolling. GREAT PRODUCT!!!
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My tire guy will be balancing my tires with those Dynabeads, just as soon as I ever take the MH over to him. He says they work great in these bigger size tires.....better than lead or steel weights on the rims.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Three ways to balance (Well 4 but I don't hear much about liquids)

Powder
Beads
Lead weights. (my personal choice)

I hear of issues with powder from time to time, it gets in the valve stem and causes loss of pressure, it messes up TPMS sensors and such.

I don't hear those things about beads though.. If I were to try one of the non-lead weight methods, it would be beads.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #6

We used beads in our adventurer, they even gave us a better ride. We will do it again next time we buy tires with out hestitation.
Lakebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had equal beads put in our new tires and never had any problem with it lumping-noticed no vibration in front end (1991 Bounder 19.5 tires) I have heard people say it lumps up if it gets wet-I air my tires as needed and haven't had a problem-talked to a few truckers and they swear by equal on steer tires-I suppose ceramic balls would be as good or better but I wasn't exposed to them till after tires were already mounted and had driven couple thousand miles--RICH
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

I also recommend DynaBeads.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I highly recommend dyna beads. I have them in all 8 tires. FANTASTIC ride.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #10

Altho not on subject, I must share;; We had a lot of handleing problems (viberation/shacking) I tryed everything. it seems at every gathering some one had the solution :WRONG; I finely took all the tires off the rims. (stamped steel) And had them Miked For run out. There came the suprise They all exceeded .120. some .180. That is 3/16 run out. so we mounted the tires on the wheels. Man it was even worse; The tire shop said they could fix that by shaving the tire.. I said NO; The other solution was . Alcoa aluminum wheels. Now at $150.00 per wheel it was a desicion .. WE went with the Alum wheels... What A differance;; As the tire shop said . One can NOT make an egg Round. The point is ,it may be in balance but it is NOT round;; . So don't throw any eggs at me;; Life is good..And EGGS are good with Bacon..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just did the new tire saga with new Michelin 22.5 on our motorhome. Went with Dynabeads and certainly am not sorry. Very smooth. A concern here in the great white north is the salt laying on the road from winter. The salt reacts with the steel clamps of lead weights and causes severe corrosion of aluminum wheels. I switched my Denali over to the balancing beads after destroying one of the stock wheels. As well I have a Jeep TJ with factory GSA Goodyear on a wheel that has never been mounted-it is corroded around the wheel weights. I find there are fewer and fewer trades people working at tire shops who have the ability or concern to do a good job. The beads are a no brainer as they just throw a small packet of beads into the tire when they are airing up.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I also throw my hat into the ring in favor of Dyna Beads
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote