Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Are these Wheel Liners, Rims or What? Installing TPMS?

So are these front rims wheel liners? If so, how do I get them off, there is not an included tool with my rig?

With the rear rims, can the extender from the inner dual be replaced without removing the wheels?

I want to install my TPMS but the two front wheel liners don't have enough room to screw them onto the valve. They look like they will fit if I can install the sensors first and put the liner back on.

The rear left (pictured), I can fit the sensor on both inner and outer wheels, but on the right side the extender is longer and comes too close to the rim to screw it on.

I saw a thread on FMCA where a wheel and tire guy said you can use a 3/8" copper tube to slightly bend the valve. Is this true? Seems dangerous to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	113308   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	113309  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	113310  
Old 12-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
if they're wheel covers/liners then all but two of the lug nut caps can be removed. the rest are decorative only.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

From the pictures , those are aluminum road wheels , check with a magnet.
If the magnet won't stick , that's aluminum.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
From the pictures , those are aluminum road wheels , check with a magnet.
If the magnet won't stick , that's aluminum.
Yep, they appear to be Accuride (sp?) aluminum wheels.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, they say Accuride and a magnet will not stick.

Do the fronts ones come off?

What to do about the rear one?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The wheel is one piece , the lug nut covers come off and the front center moon cap is removable other than that replacing the metal valve is a job for a tire shop, I would not try to bend the valve, you could end up with a flat in a hurry.

The metal tire valves come in all shapes , try a google search for pictures.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got down on my knees in the dark with a flashlight - too bright in the daytime to see inside the rim. Looks like Skip is right and it is one piece. I was fooled by the window sticker that says Wheel Liners - Cab.

So my TPMS just became a lot more expensive.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have the same wheels and have installed rear inner brass chrome plated valve extensions without removing the wheels. I have slightly bent the brass valve stems to adjust to the correct angle so that my Tire Presure monitors would not touch the rim. My black rubber outer rear wheel valve stabilizer boot came out of place going down the road and allowed the valve stem from the inner wheel to tap the outer rim until it wore a small pin hole in the brass valve stem extender. DW smelled rubber burning going down the road and I trust her nose and pulled over quickly. It was the inner tire smoking and could have cought on fire. $900.00+ for a road call and a new tire at flyingJ.
I would suggest to anyone that removes the boot that the rear inner stem goes through to install a valve extension to use silicone around the edges to insure it stays in place.

My tire Presure monitor had malfunctioned a few days before and it was not working at the time.

May not be a bad idea to have them installed.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with the Accuride wheels; neither the TST or Pressure Pro would fit without using an extension, which I did not want to do. I found that the Tiretraker system was small enough to fit in the hole and have used it for the past five years. The sending units are about the size of a dime.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Wow!

Those are liners. If you feel around each of the apparent looking lugs you will find two with an indent toward the back of the lug. Those are the ones that can be spun off. Then the liner comes out. I don't remember the size as I have a tool that came with my MH. Be advised that those two retainer nuts can be very very tight so you will have to apply some good pressure. If I remember correctly when you feel with your fingers and find the little notch there will be another notch on the opposite side of that retainer nut. Each will have two notches.

If the valve stems are brass they can be bent very easily. Use a pry tool to anchor the valve stem about half way down, use a pair of pliers and bend gently. If the valve stems are chrome, well they are chrome plated, bending them may crack the plating.

I was cheap and had the flexible extensions installed by a dealer. One of the darn things leaked at the crimping near the flange of the valve input. I bit the bullet and ordered the Dually Valve stems and rubber grommets from Borg Supply. Best thing I ever did. My TST sender mount with no problem at all.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow!

Those are liners. If you feel around each of the apparent looking lugs you will find two with an indent toward the back of the lug. Those are the ones that can be spun off. Then the liner comes out. I don't remember the size as I have a tool that came with my MH. Be advised that those two retainer nuts can be very very tight so you will have to apply some good pressure. If I remember correctly when you feel with your fingers and find the little notch there will be another notch on the opposite side of that retainer nut. Each will have two notches.

If the valve stems are brass they can be bent very easily. Use a pry tool to anchor the valve stem about half way down, use a pair of pliers and bend gently. If the valve stems are chrome, well they are chrome plated, bending them may crack the plating.

I was cheap and had the flexible extensions installed by a dealer. One of the darn things leaked at the crimping near the flange of the valve input. I bit the bullet and ordered the Dually Valve stems and rubber grommets from Borg Supply. Best thing I ever did. My TST sender mount with no problem at all.

Good luck.
Wayne,
If you're looking at the OPs pics, you're a bit mistaken if you think they're "liners". Those are Accuride wheels, that are specked out for Freightliner. If you look at the pics below, you'll see the same exact wheels, on my coach. NO, THEY ARE NOT LINERS.

To the OP, I have the TST 507 TPMS on my wheels, just like yours. I removed the outer theft resistant ring. That ring made it impossible to install the sending units. By removing the ring, it's a small diameter sending unit and it will fit without issue. Your valve stem may need to be nudged just a tad one way or the other, to allow for that sending unit to be spun onto the valve stem. PM me if you'd like further advice on setting up the system for those wheels.
Scott

P.S. OP, if you look closely at the last picture, and click on it, you'll see the TST 507 sensor installed.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help.

Scott, I have the pass through sensors for the rig. I do have the other ones I am planning on using on the toad, maybe I will have to go with those.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Thanks for the help.

Scott, I have the pass through sensors for the rig. I do have the other ones I am planning on using on the toad, maybe I will have to go with those.
You're most certainly welcome Sir. Anytime.
Scott
Old 12-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

What kind of TPMS unit are you using for these tires? I have seen some for my motorcycle that use the IPhone but I am not sure this is the best way to go.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
What kind of TPMS unit are you using for these tires? I have seen some for my motorcycle that use the IPhone but I am not sure this is the best way to go.
530ktm,
If you're asking me what system is used, it's the TST 507 System. That particular system allows for the end user to replace the batteries in each sensor themselves. If I'm not mistaken, it's like a watch battery, a 1632 I think. Could be wrong. But, the sensors for the TST 510 system must be sent back to the factory for battery change. I was not too enthused about that so, I went with the 507 system so I could change my own batteries.

And as stated, they came with anti-theft rings on them. But, that makes for a larger diameter of the sensor. So, I removed that anti-theft ring. Besides, who on this planet, has EVER HAD A TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSOR STOLEN?
Scott
Old 12-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The TPMS on mine is the EEZ Tire from EEZ RV, and like Scott's they have replaceable batteries and anti-theft. But they also offer a pass through sensor which is what I got for the rig and they are too large for the fronts. I also have 6 for the toad/dolly of the anti-theft kind. These do fit the front and I decided to go with all 6 on the RV. EEZ RV is exchanging the 6 pass through for me so I can still use them on the car and dolly.

The reason I am leaving the anti-theft on the sensor is to provide extra protection to the sensor. They are still way easy to steal and if you have this system and need to swipe my sensor, you will already know how easy it is. But some jerk who just wants to mess with you will not really know how.

The two for the front wheels needed to have some trickery on my part to get them to fit with the anti-theft. I removed the sensor from their anti-theft case, put the back of the case on first then screwed on the sensor and followed with the front part of the case while holding onto the back of the anti-sensor case. All 6 were done this way as it seems much easier than using the special tool they give you to tighten them when the anti-sensor case is on them.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

If they are the TST 507 Sensors without Flow Through, you can remove the 3 little screws on the back, and the outer shell will come off, and the sensor will be much smaller.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST 770-889-9102
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Scott,

Sure looks like the long valve stem goes int a steel wheel and not a chrome one. Oh well.

Nomade Mike, talk to Bill Falkenborg .

Let's hear from Nomad Mike.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Scott,

Sure looks like the long valve stem goes int a steel wheel and not a chrome one. Oh well.

Nomade Mike, talk to Bill Falkenborg .

Let's hear from Nomad Mike.
Mine are the Accuride wheels, not liners. I manged to get my anti-theft sensors onto the 5/6 of the rims. There were two 1/4" extensions with the spring loaded balls instead of the Schrader valves on the fronts. Removing these and using the trick I mentioned in my previous post gave me enough room. The right rear inner dually had too long of an extension so it could only accommodate the sensor without anti-theft. I am going to change that out for a shorter extension which is in order.

Wayne, the Duallyvalve kits you link to look great, but will have to wait for when a tire change is needed.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Mike, thanks for the reply. When you get a chance you'll like the dually valve. So easy to work the TST 507's and the flow through ones are perfect.

Tags
install