Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Aluminum Wheels

I would like to replace steels wheels on Itasca 34T to Aluminum wheels. Question is are they hub or stud piloted? and where could I find Freightliner style wheels (coat hook or triangle oppenings)?
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

should fit but you might need longer lug studs and yup they are hub piloted
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

x2

Aluminum wheels are thicker so you will definately need longer studs. I've done that conversion on semi tractors.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well I most appreciate all the feedback. Looks like stud lengths would have to be evaluated.
thanks again stink and Steve COH.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

EdMan, call Freightliner with you chassis serial number and ask them about the stud length.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did, the problem is they would only give the info for $250.00 up front and only if I buy OEM wheels that FTL would spec out. Not even if I was to buy a set wheels from FTL dealer if it not per part numbers that Gaffney would spec out. I retired from Freightliner with 32 years service. Well as Rodney said "I don't get any respect".
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On our DSDP on Spartan the studs didn't need changing when I went to Alcoa wheels. In fact the rears are so long I still can't find any lug nut covers that are long enough. Even went to the WheelMaster factory and they didn't have anything either!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Based on some research it seems like the studs should be long enough for the Aluminum wheels. Local FTL dealer has special price Accuride wheels that would be a big improvment on appearance once on. So goes on the wish lists for now....
Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Based on some research it seems like the studs should be long enough for the Aluminum wheels. Local FTL dealer has special price Accuride wheels that would be a big improvment on appearance once on. So goes on the wish lists for now....
Edman,
We ran steel red painted wheels for decades on all our fire trucks when I was first hired. After a few years, we started acquiring Alloy wheels on the newer rigs and, it was such a drastic improvement in both looks and, weight carrying and strength, that we finally retro fitted all the remaining ones that were going to be kept in service for a few more years.

Without a doubt, Alloy wheels, when highly polished, and none of that clear coat stuff, really put an upgrade look to any coach, new or old. You'll be highly satisfied when you do it. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Fire-Up, do I see scratches in the lug hole in the second picture ? For shame, for shame

Now care to explain how you got that shine? I'm assuming the second picture tire is laying flat on the asphalt? And you have a tire pressure monitoring system on that tire? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

I do love those wheels. Now if I could only get them as good looking as yours!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

At one of the rallies we were at there was a company offering chrome plated Alcoa wheels. BEAUTIFUL, but they wanted your old Alcoa wheels and $500 per wheel plus they were only in the 9" X 22.5 size. We didn't have Alcoas at the time, needed a different width anyway and didn't want to spend the $2,000 plus mounting.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Fire-Up, do I see scratches in the lug hole in the second picture ? For shame, for shame

Now care to explain how you got that shine? I'm assuming the second picture tire is laying flat on the asphalt? And you have a tire pressure monitoring system on that tire? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

I do love those wheels. Now if I could only get them as good looking as yours!
BigD9,
I most certainly appreciate the nice comments. Highly polished aluminum wheels are not all that hard to achieve. I could go on for hours here explaining the process but, suffice to say, it depends on:

1. What kind of condition the wheels were in when the polishing process began?
2. What kind of result do you want to see?
3. How much effort are you willing to put forth to achieve what you see in the pictures?

I've been polishing aluminum for decades. It all started when I bought my first Norton motorcycle. Machine polishing is nice and, useful if and when you have the conditions for it. Other than that, it's a ton of manual, hand labor. As for what to use, I've tried them all, Flitz, Semi-Chrome, Zepher-40, Mothers, and a whole bunch more. One of the most important points in polishing is, have good quality, soft towels. Mine are the micro-fiber ones I got at Costco.

As for what you see next to the lug nut holes, yep, due to the lug nuts and flanges on them, they do get a bit scared up in that immediate area. And, even when you use a power, rotating, 3" x 1/2", tightly sewn, buffing wheel with a the brown (higher speed cutting quality chemical/abraisive) rouge, it's incredibly hard to eliminate all the scaring and scratches surrounding all the lug nut holes.

And, without a doubt, having the wheel removed is by far the most advantageous when it comes to all the polishing angles you need do get at and be in, to achieve maximum results. Now, once that gloss that you desire is there, then it's nothing to keep them up that way. You see, when you understand the surface of aluminum, and its chemical makeup, you know that it's actually "oxidizing" as we speak. But, the finer the surface, the longer it takes to oxidize to a dull appearance.

If you do your wheels to the point they look like mine, unless you live at the beach and, those wheels are hit by waves on a daily basis, you won't have to touch them again for at least 6-8 months. And even then, it's about 20-25 minutes on each one, to bring them back up to the ultra sheen.

And yes, you do see a tire pressure monitoring system there. It's the TST 507 system. So far, it's been a pretty reliable system. I turn it off when I'm not in the coach. They say, that you should remove them from the coach if, you're going to have it in storage for quite some time. That is supposed to prolong battery life. And, with the 507 system, the batteries can be changed by the owner, not TST. So, hope much of this answers your question(s).
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Well I did buy four Accuride aluminum wheels for the Solei 34T from Portland OR Freightliner dealer, double polished both sides, they look great but they are not on yet. Have not decided what to make with the old wheels, thinking garage stools, maybe. Any ideas for the old wheels?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well I did buy four Accuride aluminum wheels for the Solei 34T from Portland OR Freightliner dealer, double polished both sides, they look great but they are not on yet. Have not decided what to make with the old wheels, thinking garage stools, maybe. Any ideas for the old wheels?
Does that mean the wheels are inter-changeable from front to rear dual locations?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes the wheels are inter changeable, can't wait for them to be on.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

After I had my Alcoa's polished I bought some Alcoa brand polish. They still look good after over a year without anything but washing.
"New" rig has coated wheels though so they won't be as shiny but won't need to polish them either.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Does that mean the wheels are inter-changeable from front to rear dual locations?
Quote:
Yes the wheels are inter changeable, can't wait for them to be on.
Well , edgray;
Looks like you need to have a talk with the tire shop that way over charged you! Sorry!

Rail!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Well the Aluminum Wheels are finally on and they look fantastic. Really love how it feels lighter when driving (maybe my imagination). Very happy with the change.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

How do I attache a photo?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
After I had my Alcoa's polished I bought some Alcoa brand polish. They still look good after over a year without anything but washing.
"New" rig has coated wheels though so they won't be as shiny but won't need to polish them either.
Well, I was told it would have coated wheels but the fronts leave black on my hands when I rub them, the rears do not. So, someplace along the line the front wheels were replaced or polished through the coating. I saved the Alcoa polish though so I'll use it on the fronts