Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering how many of you Journey owners utilize your onboard air to air up tires. Even though my air guages show between 130 and 140 psi I seem to have trouble getting much air in my tires. My tires are supposed to carry 110 psi so it seems to me that the motor home air pressure should be sufficient but it seems that I am letting more air out of the tires than I am putting in. I only have tried it once as I just got the adapter for the air hose, but I was quite disappointed with the results. Any advise from others will be appreciated.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering how many of you Journey owners utilize your onboard air to air up tires. Even though my air guages show between 130 and 140 psi I seem to have trouble getting much air in my tires. My tires are supposed to carry 110 psi so it seems to me that the motor home air pressure should be sufficient but it seems that I am letting more air out of the tires than I am putting in. I only have tried it once as I just got the adapter for the air hose, but I was quite disappointed with the results. Any advise from others will be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

The connection to the valve must be perfect. It takes a little longer than at a gas station but its a lot easier than driving down the road. I also use it for my bike tires. The hardest part is stretching the hose to the back tires and screwing the valve cap back on to the reversed tire valve on the outside rear tires.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yep, its a little slower but I always fill my tires when the motor is running. Without extenders that little cap is really trouble. Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #5

LAKE, I have a 39 FT Journey DL and 110 lbs is over the rating for the correct pressure to weight of the coach. If your wondering why your coach rides like a log wagon without any springs, thats why. I run 100lbs cold and my tires are in excellentg shap and ride about as good as I could expect.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On board air has worked very well for me. My MH however only requires 100 PSI in front tires and 90 in the rear.

I also found it usefull when filling the house batteries with water. I purchased an air blow gun and use it to blow off dust and sand before filling them.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Funny you should ask.... I went through hoops trying to air my tires with the on board compressor. Found out that the real problem was the dual footed inflation tool that I had was really garbage (it came in a set of attachments I bought for my compressor in my garage). Eventually I replaced it with one of better quality and had no problem getting the rears to 100 cold!

While we are at it, I had a problem with the drivers side inside rear. I could get it up to pressure but the next day it would be down 40 pounds. Give it a week and it would drop to 19 pounds! Whenever I complained to the dealer it was holding pressure. Turns out the nut holding the valve stem on was loose and the stem could rotate freely. This cannot be seen till the outside tire is removed. Only later did a friend of mine see this described on another board. Apparently it is not unusual?

Russ
'05 Journey

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just used mine for the first time and while it was a little slow inflating it got there in the end!

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
LAKE, I have a 39 FT Journey DL and 110 lbs is over the rating for the correct pressure to weight of the coach. If your wondering why your coach rides like a log wagon without any springs, thats why. I run 100lbs cold and my tires are in excellentg shap and ride about as good as I could expect.

Tomcat F15 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tomcat. You are right about the ride on my Journey, it does ride quite rough with 110 psi but I have Michaelin tires and in view of all the trouble others have had with those tires I was afraid to run 100psi. What tires do you have on your Journey? Unfortunately I have not been able to have my Journey weighed, however I never carry a lot of heavy gear so doubt it is ever overloaded. I am wondering if I would be OK with only 100 psi in my tires.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote TomCat F-15
posted Sun Jan 30 2005 10:56 AM
"LAKE, I have a 39 FT Journey DL and 110 lbs is over the rating for the correct pressure to weight of the coach. If your wondering why your coach rides like a log wagon without any springs, thats why. I run 100lbs cold and my tires are in excellentg shap and ride about as good as I could expect."

The inflation tables have changed for Michelin.
The 255/80R/22.5 Load Range G is now:

110psi Single 5,205 Dual 9,610
105psi Single 5,150 Dual 9,320
100psi Single 4,975 Dual 9,050

The psi can be different for individual coaches based on loaded wheel weights. There is no one "fit-all" answer here. One must really weigh each corner to determine proper inflation based on the weight that axle is carrying.

For the front axels to carry maximum GCV my front tires would have to be inflated to 110psi
and the rears at 100psi. This would not have any allowance for a safety factor.

So inflating to 110psi on a Michelin 255/80R/22.5 is a real possibility and yes it is a stiff ride.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Definetly have your coached weighed. I have yet to find a place close by that can do all four corners. Yet Front =8600lbs and Back =16200lbs. Quite a bit of comfort in these weights.
While this would mean pressure lower than 100 on the front, I still run 105lbs in front and 100lbs in the rears. I feel weight can be very subjective and my ride is just fine. I tried 100lbs all around and found I liked the feel of 105 in the front better..With this tire pressure I don't feel it will hurt the Michelins. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have a journey 39k, The way I was told to air up tires by Winnebago, was to run the motor at 1000 Rpm with cruise control to keep pressure up. It is a little slower than gas station, but closer.
video man is offline   Reply With Quote