Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Gauges, Bad or Not?

I recently had a failure of the air suspension system on my 04 Winnie Ultimate Freedom.

The system was repaired, with a new filter and governor, and all wheels pump up OK. I have driven it a couple hundred miles since the repair.

Only problem is the two air pressure gauges on the dash are not correct. They do not show full pressure, and the last time I started the coach one gauge reads 0 (yes, zero), and the low air alarm is sounding.

Service guy says the gauges are bad, and says bring it back to the shop.

Anyone else had this problem with gauges?
Old 11-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #2

Pre-2004 VDC Repair Cures Air Gauge Problem.

This may help. See Post #6 in this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...or-350416.html

* I have an early model 2004 Itasca Horizon DP and my Vehicle Data Computer (VDC, which goes by other names) is located in the last compartment, next to your transmission computer, next to your side radiator. (See picture.)

You an fix this yourself, but I recommend you use a TV repair shop and spend $50 to make sure you do not damage the circuit board when you clean it... and then just reflow the cold solder joints. (More details can be found in the above link.)

* However, if you have a late model 2004 Winnebago DP (or newer) then you will not have a VDC. Instead, you would have MMDC that does the same function, and your MMDC is located under your dash or near your dash. ...But the MMDC is not known to have internal board problems, because the heat an vibrations are much less in your instrument dash area vs. back by the engine.

Attached are two .pdf files with information from the people (Jim & Jim) who helped me solve this air gauge problem; and I attached my .pdf write-up for your review as well.

Good luck with your repair. It's not hard to remove the VDC. Just don't over torque the bolts when you re-install it and follow the other tips. The good news is that you hopefully will not have to spend $1000 at FL with this information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150820_170438.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	175801   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 VDC #1539-10188-01 By Kysor.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	175802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_163001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	175803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_163417.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	175804  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VDC_Repair FL VDC.pdf (235.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf 2004 VDC Repair (KEEP) (PDF).pdf (1.29 MB, 50 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Lots to look at.

I forgot to mention that I have a Spartan chassis.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #4

Roger that!

Just follow your air lines to find your VDC and let us know if it's the same, but it might not be?

I know Freightliner still offers my 2003/2004 VDC in the $650 range and they carry stock. That tells me these VDCs are made by another company who designed their product into multiple applications.

If you have a VDC that looks like mine then I'm sure you can follow this same procedure.

Note: Fixing the cold soldier joint is one part of the fix, but I also think resealing the VDC so air does not escape is also important. ...And now my air gauges respond much faster than ever before.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do the air bags stay pumped up when you have this problem?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm taking all of the above observations on board as good info.

We had a similar issue. In our case, (Freightliner chassis) gauges would intermittently drop to zero, alarms would go nuts, but all air systems would operate as designed. We pulled into two Freightliner centers in two states, but couldn't get a look see for several days. We nursed her home and took her into WWWilliams who always do us proud.

In our case, Freightliner had issued a recall several years prior to replace gauge wiring harness. After all that stress, it was a no cost fix. However, the new harness plugs are not tight in the old sockets. Fixed that with a tiny dab of silicone adhesive on each.

Don't know if any of that has application to you, but there it is.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks imnprsd, I've had both air gauges flopping around all over the place for the last 20,000 miles. Disconnected the blasted buzzer 3 years ago. I figured it was the gauges because everything worked and air pressure didn't go from zero to 150 in 1/100 of a second. Hopefully I can find that thing on my coach.

Oh, Retired Navy E-6 and E-8