Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Dump button

Hello, I have a new to me 2001 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40J diesel pusher and I'm still learning things about it. It has an HWH hydraulic leveling system and NeWay Air ride suspension and on the HWH control panel there is a button marked with four down arrows that is labeled "Air Dump". I believe this dumps all the Air out of the suspension (am I right?) And, in turn, lowers the whole bus. I assume this would be for use when parked for easier entry to the rig? My main question is: what would be the order of operations upon parking at a campsite? Would you use the leveling system first to level the coach and then the Air dump or would you dump the Air first before leveling? I appreciate any tips or advice! Thanks!
Cozy Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dump then level
Old 05-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Dump then level
That was kind of my line of thinking but wanted to be sure. Thanks so much for the confirmation! Much appreciated!
Old 05-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would expect that your HWH system would automatically dump the air when you select 'auto leveling'. It should also refill the air suspension when you 'store' the jacks.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I would expect that your HWH system would automatically dump the air when you select 'auto leveling'. It should also refill the air suspension when you 'store' the jacks.
Good point. I will look deeper into this. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #6

All the above is what my 2004 HWH system does, but there will come a day when you also need to dump the air to get under a tree branch or a 12-1/2 foot overpass.

Also, you have to dump before leveling so your jacks can reach the ground. And with big RVs you have to be careful to not over torque the big box on uneven ground... if you choose to use jack pads.

I sometimes will drive my tires up on those corrugated-squares and then use a jack pad.

* And if you ever get stuck in the mud or beach sand, you will also need those jack-squares to shove under your driver's side tires. That and with a prayer you might be able to avoid a tow!

* This one time, I tried doing a U-turn around a farmer's bard in Iowa... In THE RAIN, and I got stuck on the wet grass. So don't do that. Stay on pavement when it rains or wait until the rain goes away for 12 hours before you pull away from you boondocking spot, so the ground can absorb the water.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I never thought about dumping air to get under something. with most of the HWH systems pressing the auto level will first dump the air from the suspension, but there is no harm in dumping the air first then pressing the Auto Level button.

I also try to get a feel for how level the coach is and run the tires up on blocking as to keep the tires firmly on something solid. I downloaded an app that does the math for me and tells me how much blocking needs to be put under each tire to achieve a level stance. Haven't tried it yet, if my old brain reminds me I will report how accurate it is.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ultimate Advantage

I own a 2002 Ultimate Advantage 40E that I purchased a few years ago. I have gotten to know this Winnebago pretty well. If I can be of any assistance, my email address is [email protected].

This model from Winnebago I think is truly wonderful and wouldn’t trade mine for anything newer.
cornike is offline   Reply With Quote