Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air dryer location 2003 Journey

Ok new to me MH with no records of any maintenance done. I have slowly worked to get all the maintenance updated but I cannot find the Air-dryer filter on this thing. I have checked around the air tanks and followed the air hoses but nothing. Is there someplace else that I have not looked at or is there a mod one would do to remove it? Just like everything else on the coach I am sure it needs to be replaced if I could find it
Diver2diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For what it's worth, here's the Built On Freightliner info for your coach. It says you have a Midland Pure Air Plus heated air dryer on a Freightliner XC chassis.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This thread might also be of help: Air Dryer filter change

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
This thread might also be of help: Air Dryer filter change
Thanks. Excellent info. I bookmarked and also made a PDF copy of the thread for future reference.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Air dryer location

Your air dryer will be located behind and up from the rear axle. Typically hard to get access to. Probably the drivers side.
As long as you are in there the Coalescing filter should be replaced or at least inspected. it is inside the dryer base under the desscant. The Coalescing filter "socket" should be checked for crude build up too.
I would be sure ALL the air is out of the system before removing anything.
Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My first RV, a 2003 Horizon Itasca (same as Journey) got a plugged air dryer after 6 years. (original owner ran it three winters in New England winters, ugly wet roads) It was dripping badly, air system intermittent problems, etc. Got it to a Freightliner shop, they couldn't get parts for it (too old they said). Ended up getting a new unit. It was tucked up behind the rear axle, driver's side, canister looked like a gallon paint can, size wise).

My current RV, I had the air dryer serviced at 6 years, no problems, just thought it might be a good idea. Freightliner said they replaced the filter and serviced the mechanism, but all looked great, didn't really need servicing at all. I don't drive much in wet weather, at all. So your needs may vary.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

bleed off air pressure using pumping air brakes, as the compressor airs up, listen from where the air governor unloads , a load psss, this is your air dyer and governor. most likely by the drivers side rear axle . be careful as some brands are spring loaded. good luck, also remember to drain your air tanks every 3-4 months ,to remove trapped water.
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Former Winnebago Owner

Look on the driver side inside of the frame rail just behind the rear axle. It's placed perfectly for the grease from the driveline u-joints to cover it - it is a dirty job to change the desiccant element in it. Pretty easy job, just be sure to bleed off the air pressure first.

Good luck & safe travels,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, journey