Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Air bag question

Took the MH out for new tires yesterday and on the way back to camp(about five miles) every bump or dip I hit caused a loud bang from the right rear. I actually think I hopped a curb leaving the tire shop which may have started the problem. Anyway, I tried to figure out what the possibilities were as I was driving. About the best description of the clunking would be a broken shock. Driving, I noticed that the right air pressure dash gauge was reading lower than the left gauge, but fluctuated up and down by about 25lbs.

Back at camp, I did a visual of tire clearances right to left and the right side was less, as well as the mud flap touching the ground. So my suspicion is the air bag popped. It's been raining so I have not been underneath to check things out. Just wanted to see if my assumption could be right or if there are other possibilities I may have missed or should look for.

I don't know if it matters, but the MH leveled up fine and I didn't notice anything unusual when the bags dumped. But I was inside and did not see what the right rear did.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Happy to report that the air bag was not damaged. Basically, the air bag did not fill properly at the tire shop and as I drove out, the ride height adjuster moved enough to allow the air to evacuate and cause the "bottoming out/clunking noise". Very relieved that it wasn't a replacement issue.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote