Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Accuride Wheels and Pressure Sensors

Like many of you, I have the Accuride aluminum wheels on my '06 Ellipse. I ordered a TST sensor system, knowing that I could not mount the sensors on my outside dual valves since they point inward and the hole is not large enough to mount them. Has anyone rotated the valve stem? Mine is at a right angle, and if rotated, would clear the hole. I'm wondering if deflating the tire would allow rotation, or if I'd have to have it demounted.

Also, the front valves are too short for the sensors. I talked to TST and they said that short (1 1/2") metal valve extensions would be OK to use. I'm not sure....anyone use them? I'm close to calling it quits and sending the whole thing back. Thanks in Advance,
Keith

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am currently in the same situation you are. Although the system I'm installing is a Tire Stat kit, the clearance issues on my '08 Winnebago Tour are the same. I've been working on this for about a month, so I've learned how important patience is.

With regard to your outside duals, I had two people tell me it was OK to carefully loosen the nut at the base just enough to rotate the stems 90 degrees. I did that and had no problems.

I added 1.5" extensions from Haltec on the front wheels, and they worked fine. However, I installed 5" Haltec stems on the inside duals and my nightmare began. for some reason the sensors would not seat correctly on those extensions and I ended up with a flat tire last week. I have since purchased some braided 7" extensions, and although they don't leak, I haven't figured out how to secure them to the wheel yet.

I think the trick is to put the desired extensions on first, then wait a couple of days and check pressures to make sure they haven't leaked. Then install your sensors and do the same. You are probably not too far from getting it done. You don't even want to know what I went through to modify the stems on my Honda CR-V to get those sensors to work!

Good luck!
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My MH came with solid metal extensions on the inner duals. They put the sensor in the center of the wheel hole. Outer stems came rotated outward. Fronts put the sensor in the wheel hole like on the inner duals. I had TST sensors there and they fit fine but I did add rubber stabilizers to the inner dual sensors (cut to fit the sensor rather than the stem). I now have the Tire Tracker TPMS with smaller and lighter sensors. I never had any problems with sensors on extensions. I did have problems with TST sensors on the toad short rubber valve stems ...had two flats due to sensors coming loose. I also had loose sensors on the MH but caught them before any air loss. I have had zero problems with the Tire Tracker sensors.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, guys. I was beginning to think I was the only one with the problem. I'll try your suggestions, and use a bit of Locktite Blue. I'd rent a grinder and just make the holes bigger except that it would probably screw up the balance. I wanted to make sure that I didn't end up causing a larger safety program by trying to fix it.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've resisted getting a tire pressure sensing system for the very reasons you folks have noted.

I will be replacing all 6 tires next spring and plan to investigate an 'inside the tire' sensor system for the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We bought a TSTT system a couple months ago. It's currently sitting in the box after driving me crazy trying to make it work properly... Had to buy valve stem extensions, two of which leaked, causing an inner dual to go flat. (I noticed the leaking front tire getting visibly soft) I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I've resisted getting a tire pressure sensing system for the very reasons you folks have noted.

I will be replacing all 6 tires next spring and plan to investigate an 'inside the tire' sensor system for the coach.

smlranger,

I'm fairly certain that our coaches have the same wheels. I installed the Doran PP sensors about 6 years ago with no modifications.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had the same issue. I loosened the nut a little and rotated the stems 90°. Got the sensors on with no ill effects.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

i am using tst sensors with haltec model 200 90 degree extensions on the front and rear ob wheels. i have 19.5/245/70 xrv tires.
my ib rears have braided steel extensions attached to the wheel with wire clips. these were installed already when i purchased the moho 5 years ago.
when i get new tires in the near future i will be using haltec 135 degree or 35 degree valve stems. the 90 deg extensions have loosened enough to leak a couple of times. the tst system indicated this problem immediately. i check them for leaks with a soapy water solution every time i reinflate the tires. i have to use pliers to tighten the haltec 90 degree extensions.

HALTEC ONLINE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	12557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	12558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	12559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	12560  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote