Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
But it does... It brings attitude.... Making a comment and brining attitude is expression of thought with feeling... Regardless, having an opinion sometimes means that you don't agree with another opinion...

Be happy.

Whatever...

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

My opinion: start thinking about changing your RV tires out at 5 years, then get them done by 10 years. Mine will be at 5 years this year so I will start thinking about it.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

7 Year Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sounds like a poor install job: damaged bead, leaking stem or something of that nature.

Agree.... That was not a normal situation for sure...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Whatever...

LOL.... Now that is attitude....
Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
My opinion: start thinking about changing your RV tires out at 5 years, then get them done by 10 years. Mine will be at 5 years this year so I will start thinking about it.

In my opinion, you should think about upgrading your RV before you get to 10 years... Use the money you would use for a new set of tires toward the purchase of a new RV.

This does have some basis in fact...

1) The best trade in value for your RV is going to be before it reaches the 10 year mark.
2) Financial lenders will lend more and the buyer will get better finance options if they are purchasing an RV that is under 10 years old, ergo better trade in value for the seller.
3) With technology updates, you will get far more for your dollars to upgrade than what it will most likely cost to retrofit an older one.
4) All the household systems will most likely start failing after you reach the ten year mark. Have you priced what it would cost to upgrade a generator, for example?
5) You can get a full coach warranty for a few years on a new coach, which can be very expensive on a 10 year old coach, or older.

Hey, I could go on, but you get my opinion, with attitude...
Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
The tires on my Class A are now 7 years old.
The Michelin tires only have 24,000 miles on them.
There is no checking or cracking, dry rot etc on side walls.
Is it really critical to replace them at 7 years, or is it just a sales gimmick.
Interested in your opinions.
I have worked in the tire industry for near 30 years now and I am a firm believer in the 7 year rule.

I have through my job been able to talk to many engineers and chemists who develop and design tires.

Many of the chemicals have shelf lives that begin to degrade at around the 7 year mark. It is not an exact science but as many of them have told me that once you get to the 7 year mark you are on borrowed time. This degradation cannot be see from the exterior or be measured. The cracking that many see is different type of aging caused by the ozone in the atmosphere. You can avoid this type of cracking for many years be covering your tires when not moving. If you unit is stored inside no covering is needed.

Whether you store on concrete, asphalt, dirt. or gravel has very little effect on the longevity of your tire. I am told today's tires do not flat spot and I have never had that issue and I never put my unit up on its jacks during winter storage.

A few years back when I had a sightseer and it was going into it's 8th season I decided to replace the steer tires and ride on the rears for another year to split up the expense of buying new tires. I had a blowout on one of the inside dual's shortly after replacing the steering tires. So much for that.

I personally will follow the replace every 7 years and keep my tires covered when not indoors or moving.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I am inclined to replace the tires. Depending on how you use the RV Would be the determining factor. If using locally I would probably replace just the fronts and manage the rears extra attention to the pressures. If traveling any distances I would replace the all.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Mike in NY,
Install Tpms...
I use the Tst TRUCK system with good results!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
I will not run a virgin tire passed 5 years, cap passed 7, after that time they get pulled and trashed regardless of tread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am curious. My understanding of a capped tire is one that has had a new tread molded onto an acceptable casing. Is that correct ???

If so there is no way I'd trust that tire for 2 years longer than a new tire. Maybe I can be enlightened. I've seen many, many of those caps along the highway. One can only imagine how much of the RV it would tear up once it separates from the casing.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I would like to hear from people that have had a blow-out on a tire with a TPMS installed. Anyone out there??? Not somebody deciding to install a TPMS AFTER a blow-out. Thanks.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't know where you get the idea it's a "sales gimmick" because Michelin doesn't say that. The 7 year "rule" is an Internet myth.
Here's what Michelin and TOYO put out in print:
I recently replaced all 8 tires on my rig, all were dated '07. Both inside and outside they looked great and I feel I could easily have gone another year or so. But the 365/70 tires were in short supply (had to wait 2 months for them to be preduced and shipped) so I went ahead with the change.
Good quote Mr. D.

In my case, the OME tires were at the max load out the factory door and the size was 6 mo to a year out to production. After about 5 & 6 years various tires started to show sidewall cracking. After much research I found Toyo tires of a popular size, 16 ply and at a good price, that fit my coach. I now have M-154 295/75R22.5 on the coach.

Weight is important. Size accordingly.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

7 Year Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I would like to hear from people that have had a blow-out on a tire with a TPMS installed. Anyone out there??? Not somebody deciding to install a TPMS AFTER a blow-out. Thanks.

This does not exactly match your request, but I wanted to voice my history. I have never had a blow out, but I know two that were prevented with a TPMS after installed;

1) In the first few months after installing my TPMS, I went on a trip to Mt Rushmore. After leaving our camp sight and heading down the mountain to head home, my TPMS faulted due to overheating on the front tires of my towed vehicle. I stopped and checked it out and found that I had set the BreakBuddy (alternative breaking system) to tight. This caused my breaks to engage and stay engaged too long. I backed it off to the proper setting and continued down the mountain and drove for several hundred miles that day without another issue. If it had not been for the TPMS, I'd never have known and the results may have been disastrous, far beyond just a blowout.

2) I had my tires serviced. They did not tighten the valve extension properly, which resulted in a slow leak on the inside tire on the back. If I had not been notified when the tire went below the desired pressure, it would have been a destroyed tire and may have caused even more damage.

Regardless of the excuses people use for not buying one, they are worth every penny in my estimation. One blowout avoided is payback enough, but knowing that I was saved from two, makes me a believer.

Ted
Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

The original Michellin tires on our 2008 Itaska DP "looked" good the Fall of 2015, but the Spring of 2016 was a different story. The sidewalls had exploded with weather cracking. Looking back I should have been more proactive and bought new tires. I would have been more relaxed as we completed that trip. We were good to go for awhile according to the depth of crack measurements, but that wasn't fun. Those cracks seem to show up rather quickly.

We keep the coach in covered storage and I drive it for at least a short drive every three weeks. So, it was obviously time for a change. Just should have done it sooner.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
The original Michellin tires on our 2008 Itaska DP "looked" good the Fall of 2015, but the Spring of 2016 was a different story. The sidewalls had exploded with weather cracking. Looking back I should have been more proactive and bought new tires. I would have been more relaxed as we completed that trip. We were good to go for awhile according to the depth of crack measurements, but that wasn't fun. Those cracks seem to show up rather quickly.

We keep the coach in covered storage and I drive it for at least a short drive every three weeks. So, it was obviously time for a change. Just should have done it sooner.
Gary, do you store your rig on a cement floor? I learned in a RV class that this is not a good idea. It does something bad to the rubber of the tires. They recommended a board or plastic under each wheel, full width of tread.

I have given up on Michelin. The RV tire sizes are only available from them, for the most part, and the sidewall issue is too prevalent. I have experienced it on three coaches with tires less than 7 years old. Michelin says most of there RV tires should last 10 years if inspected as recommended by them. I haven't been in that group. Love my Toyo M-154 295/75R22.5 tires.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

It is a gravel pad outdoors on the west side south of Seattle. It is under a big roof with a lot of other RV's. I've had the Coach 3 1/2 years and don't know what the previous owner used for storage. I've read a lot about pads under the tires. Some sources say not necessary, but most say it is. I was going to go with the M154 but I talked with no less than six Les Schwab dealers in Oregon and Washington, and they talked me into the M177. I did weigh the coach and experimented with tire pressure. The difference is VERY noticeable, and dialed in at 100 psi on our Itaska Ellipse 40TD
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

I have gone 8 years. I won't go longer. The risk in failure consequences is too high. Same with brakes. If that is too much for the wallet then I will walk away. I flew for years and setting absolute limitations, and living by them, is essential.... I have had too many friends that have "gone West" because they did not. Gone West meaning https://www.alliedpilots.org/GoneWest
Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Well said. A video was posted awhile ago of a big coach in the left lane passing the photographer in the right lane. It captured the blowout, veering into the center meridian gulley, and rollover. That video will make anyone a believer.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is a gravel pad outdoors on the west side south of Seattle. It is under a big roof with a lot of other RV's. I've had the Coach 3 1/2 years and don't know what the previous owner used for storage. I've read a lot about pads under the tires. Some sources say not necessary, but most say it is. I was going to go with the M154 but I talked with no less than six Les Schwab dealers in Oregon and Washington, and they talked me into the M177. I did weigh the coach and experimented with tire pressure. The difference is VERY noticeable, and dialed in at 100 psi on our Itaska Ellipse 40TD
I bought from LS in Grants Pass, OR. Some of what I was told by them just didn't fit with what I have learned at the GNR last July in Forest City. The M154 is a all position tire and is working great on this rig. We have over 5K since we put them on. I run 110psi all around (door sticker and weigh recommendation). I also went to a G (16 ply) rating. Just for chuckles, ask LS for a price on each.

Rick Y
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Gary, do you store your rig on a cement floor? I learned in a RV class that this is not a good idea. It does something bad to the rubber of the tires. They recommended a board or plastic under each wheel, full width of tread.

I have given up on Michelin. The RV tire sizes are only available from them, for the most part, and the sidewall issue is too prevalent. I have experienced it on three coaches with tires less than 7 years old. Michelin says most of there RV tires should last 10 years if inspected as recommended by them. I haven't been in that group. Love my Toyo M-154 295/75R22.5 tires.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
I don't mean to get off subject, but you say they recommend wood or plastic. What about those pads I see at Home Depot for garage floors that appear to be made from recycled tires? They do have small holes in them though, if that matters?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I don't mean to get off subject, but you say they recommend wood or plastic. What about those pads I see at Home Depot for garage floors that appear to be made from recycled tires? They do have small holes in them though, if that matters?

Not meaning to stay off subject but we use cut up rubber stall matts to park on.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires