Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Having had both Itasca and Tiffin products I am somewhat familiar with both so I'll share some comparisons with you. I'm sure you guys know your Winnebago specs up and down but aren't as familiar with Tiffin.

Someone asked for Phaeton and Allegro Bus pricing. I have the entire Tiffin lineup price lists posted on my website if anyone wants to compare. The link is at http://www.rvcruzer.com/pricing.htm.

I am 100% positive that all 3 rooftop A/C units will run at the same time. With 42' of coach you need them if it gets really hot. I'm sure that the "only 2 at a time" comment was a miscommunication and pertained to a 30 amp shore power service. The Onan 10KW will easily run them as well any 50 amp service. As to losing the basement air - don't worry. I had basement air and like my ducted rooftop air system much better. To me that's a plus, not a drawback. The ducting makes it even quieter and there's no mechanical noise under the bed at night.

As to the rooftop strength and extra steel in the front end - I've had both and I probably better not go there on this forum.

As to what the Ellipse matches up with in the Tiffin lineup - it doesn't. It's slotted between the Phaeton and the Allegro Bus.

The Phaeton 42QRH has a solid axle, a 360 HP Cummins ISC with 1,050 ft-lbs of torque, and a rear radiator. The Ellipse is similar but uses the 400 HP ISL with 1,200 ft-lbs of torque. The Phaeton does not offer AquaHot while the Ellipse does. The 42' Phaeton comes with either a Spartan or Freightliner chassis but the Spartan is the chassis of choice in most cases. Winny uses the Freightliner exclusively. The Ellipse undoubtedly uses the Powerline EMS system made by Intellitec. As of now Tiffin uses a new load shedding EMS system that goes one step farther because it ties the inverter in to boost power rather than shed loads if it's a short term demand such as running a microwave. After that it sheds loads. However, this is brand new for 2010 and was not available in earlier years. HWH jacks are standard on all Tiffins as of now but even in earlier years they were standard on the tag axle coaches. The Phaeton does have a 100 gallon fuel tank compared to the 150 gallon on the Ellipse. The Phaeton does have solid hardwood cabinet doors but I believe it's gone to completely solid hardwood cabinets this year - but don't quote me on that because it's what I've "heard", not yet "seen".

The Allegro Bus kicks it up another notch. You now get a 425 HP ISL engine, a side radiator, and IFS front end. You get your choice of 3 chassis, the Freightliner, the Spartan, and Tiffin's amazing Powerglide chassis. The Powerglide is taking that market by storm and was designed by the same guy who designed the Alpine Coach Peak chassis and has the same high performance handling aspects that the Alpine was highly noted for. It's also a tough chassis with huck bolt construction and a side radiator fan drive system similar to the larger 500 HP Spartan K2 chassis. It uses a Vansco multiplexed wiring system to minimize wiring issues.
You now get a 150 gallon fuel tank. AquaHot is standard as is the new EMS and a Magnum true sine wave inverter. Everything is solid hardwood and Corian solid surface with no laminates.

In summary, the Ellipse seems to be bridging the gap between the Phaeton and Allegro Bus so it's really not fair to compare it to either. It just fills another spot in the marketplace. Hopefully Winnebago does well with it. There's lots of loyal Winnebago fans so if it's priced right that should happen.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #42
Winnie-Wise

By the way, those are some nice photos of the Ellipse. They really show some good detail. Great job posting them!
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote