Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
DJG
Winnebago Watcher

2018 Micro Minnie 1700BH Axle Camber

howdy all! We just bought a used 2018 micro minnie 1700bh. Last time I parked it for the summer and noticed the camber was negative, unloaded. 3500 axle. Is this a problem and should I be concerned? Should I upgrade to a 5k axle? Winnebego recommended not doing that but seems would be helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220909_192203.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	184103  
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Change it!

Unfortunately we are now in the same situation with our winnie drop 1780. Bent axles are a plague with the axle spec being too low for the application. Because we have a winnie drop the bent axle causes the tire to rub on the slide out side as there is now only an half inch of clearance to the fiberglass side wall of the trailer. Even though we installed the lippert spec lift kit and upgraded to load range D tires the axle has continued to camber negative until it again starts to rub cornering at highway speeds going around left hand corners. So our trailer is officially grounded until we upgrade the axle once and for all.

Many of today's RV dealers tell their customers to ignore negative camber on cheap single axle trailers. Don't be surprised if the dealer who sold you the trailer accuses you of "overloading" or driving around corners too fast if the camber becomes more severe over time.

Our trailers axle was out of spec when we bought the trailer used and looks like it was replaced early on in the history of the trailer.

I suggest getting a dexter torflex #11 4100-6000 and bump your tires up to 15 inch six bolts. Use a reputable trailer shop not an RV dealer IMO. The dealers will gladly take your trailer from you and give you a trade in and then resell your trailer after doing exactly what I am doing to repair and upgrade ours.
Call dexter and talk to them about getting one built.

The camber will wear the bearings prematurely and is not good for the tires or the brakes. We are not driving drifting and nascar negative camber is not good thing. In our case it can become a very serious safety issue. The trailer manufacturers need to be taken to task on this issue of putting 3500 lb axles on trailers that weigh in at over 2700 lbs. dry rigged!

Our neighbour has a similar single axle travel trailer with a sprung 3500 lb axle that bent. Their Autumn ridge 18 bh is the same weight as your Micro Minnie. They went through exactly the same nonsense of having the dealer scold him for overloading the trailer. Fortunately for him he found a great trailer shop where they managed to straighten and reinforce the axle cross bar. We will be using the same shop to order and upgrade our bent axle.

Unfortunately in our situation torsion axles cannot be straightened and reinforced by welding on more steel.

I will post pics of what a bent axle is doing to our trailer and update as we change and upgrade the axle. Several owners have dealt with this issue on the forum and unfortunately the trailer manufacturers are less than honest about what is really happening.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote