Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2007 W24 8.1/6spd allison - what oil pressure ?

2nd owner 53k miles, was wondering what oil pressures most ppl have.

- @ start, idle in 50-70 degree weather - ~50 psi, if revved it goes a bit higher - ~10+.

- after running for 2 hrs - at idle - ~15-18 psi, would go to 30psi at touch of throttle.

btw, i use 5-30w synthetic.

I have the engine manual, it talks about 3-300 psi - which i suspect will never be seen at the sensor, these are supposedly absolute max/min, so completely useless figures.

Also, what do you monitor as you drive, Oil pressure or trip or what ?

in the constant up/down of 101 on oregon coast it is fun to see if you can EVER get into 6th gear !!

also another fun thing is to watch the instantaneous mpg - from 28 down to 3 !!!

also, why the H311 do we not have access to going into 4th w/o resorting to turning off OD, why not a - D, 4,3,2,1 pattern ???

auto is not necessarily smarter than a good driver !!!!!!

ps: i HATE grade assist, way too violent and guess what high revs are NOT so great for an engine - especially a NOT short stroke large 8.1 V-8 even with synthetic oil - personally i do not like to exceed 3500.

pps: I checked the 'events' (30sec duration events) part of allison monitor and I think that some prev driver got into a runaway situation, max rpm 6000 (fuel cutoff I suspect), max speed 81mph, sounds like someone had less brains and too much confidence in 'downhill assist' bs !!

ppps: brakes are MUCH CHEAPER than engines, always use brains over computer 'skills' !!!!!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

wow, so no one ever monitors their oil pressure ?? how strange, it just might save your engine if you did - idiot lights are for _____!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'll check it from time to time but for the most part the display is hard to see and there are usually many things to keep an eye on when driving a 39 foot motorhome with either my towd or 18' trailer. As a lifelong gearhead and mechanic my ears are tuned in to what I hear to let me know what may be happening underneath me.

My oil pressure is about 50 PSI on start-up and when warmed up it's 15 to 18 PSI at idle and around 35 PSI at cruising speed.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote