Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

1" impact gun for D/P wheel removal, ?

Gents,
Who uses a 1" impact gun for removing their tires and wheels from their Diesel pusher? Before anyone gets all worried over the torque values of the lug nuts etc. I've got all that covered. I also KNOW AND REALIZE the weight of one of those tire/wheel combinations. Not only have I dealt with my own but, I've removed a zillion tire/wheel combos from fire trucks for decades and handled them just fine.

We had/have seriously powerful 1" impact guns on the FD for removing the lug nuts/bolts. But both the service trucks and the repair facility had large capacity air systems to run those guns. I have a 3/4" breaker bar and a long cheater for doing it manually but, that's primarily for the front wheels where the lug nuts are out in the open. But the rears, are deeper into the wheels and using a breaker bar, cheater etc. is almost out of the question. My air compressor is set for 150 and has been for years and, is still adjustable for upwards of 160-170. I'm thinking if I get a 1/2" i.d. hose, and crank up the pressure some, a 1900 lb maximum torque gun, should break'em loose. They're only supposed to be around 450 lbs.

So, I know I've got the air pressure to run a gun of that size but, it's the volume that I'm not too sure of just yet. I've got a 30 gallon tank. If I get feed back that a 1" gun will work with mods to the air system of the home air compressor, I'll do some changing of some of the fittings to accommodate a 1/2" i.d. hose and the related fittings for larger air supply to the gun. If, it should work, in breaking loose the lug nuts, I'm sure I couldn't do all the lug nuts without letting the compressor cycle to the cut off pressure for each lug nut but, that certainly would not be a problem.

I'm in no hurry. If it takes a few minutes to break them all loose and, it saves my back and a lot of sweat from trying to do it manually, so be it. I'm not planning on doing this every day or at some "Pit crew speed". About once every 6 months or so, so I can polish the inside arcs of the wheels, without having the lugs /axle ends in the way and, do a little inspection of the brakes and related stuff in the area while the tire/wheel combo is off.

So, do any of you do this stuff yourself with an impact gun? I'm thinking of this one, maybe:

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900F...465591&vxp=mtr

Or one from Harbor Freight that has about the same specs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a ½" drive unit from Harbor Freight that goes to 650 ft lbs. So far I've never tried it on my wheels but I did use it on my front shocks and it overtightened the bolts even when running on a small electric compressor and taking it easy with the air turned down. And yes, a good quality ½" extension will take 650 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
So, do any of you do this stuff yourself with an impact gun? I'm thinking of this one, maybe:

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900F...465591&vxp=mtr

Scott
Corrected link:
1900FT/LB 1" Air Impact Wrench Long Shank 9" Anvil New Automotive Truck Service | eBay

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I tried the one inch impact gun but did not have sufficient air to break the lug nuts loose. I use the breaker bar with a cheater (a five foot galvanized pipe). I also cut notches in a 2X6 to support the extension when I do the rear wheels. My weight on the five foot cheater does break the nuts loose. One of these days I may get a bigger compressor and give it another try.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have a ½" drive unit from Harbor Freight that goes to 650 ft lbs. So far I've never tried it on my wheels but I did use it on my front shocks and it overtightened the bolts even when running on a small electric compressor and taking it easy with the air turned down. And yes, a good quality ½" extension will take 650 ft lbs.
Mr_D,
While there are many higher quality 1/2" guns out there, boasting such high torque specs as 650 and 700 lbs, I'd bet my life that they wouldn't even touch the first lug nut. I'm not too sure where they get those figures but, they're certainly not real. My son works for an RV repair service here in San Diego and they've got two, 1" guns and one won't even think about budging some of the lug nuts on certain coaches. The other one seems to do fine. So, this is the reason for my original question. To see if someone has a gun and or what's the operational conditions, i.e. Compressor size and CFM, Gun size and make/model, air hose size, length etc.

Chris,
Thank you Sir for doing the correction. I didn't check the link when I put it in there, guess I will from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I tried the one inch impact gun but did not have sufficient air to break the lug nuts loose. I use the breaker bar with a cheater (a five foot galvanized pipe). I also cut notches in a 2X6 to support the extension when I do the rear wheels. My weight on the five foot cheater does break the nuts loose. One of these days I may get a bigger compressor and give it another try.
1ciderdog,
Well Sir, this is the exact info I'm fishing for. When you say you tried a 1" gun, may I ask, what was/is the torque specs for that gun? What size hose were/are you using? What was/is your line pressure for that air hose and finally, what was/is the length of that hose? This will all help me to determine if this is a worthless effort or, I may find that there is one model etc. that will actually work with my air compressor and a 1/2" air line working at say, 160 psi + line pressure.
Scott
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I bought a 3/4" from harbour freight and it wouldn't touch my lug nuts, can't say if it was the gun or the air supply though I suspect the air supply. Not willing to upgrade the air supply I returned the gun and use a cheater bar on my torque wrench. On the rears I use a jack stand to support the extension. I know it's not the best system but for the rare (I hope) ocassions when I have to use it I think it will be just fine.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a half incher from a surplus store that did the job.. And yes I'm big enough to wrest with a 22.5" mounted. .Don't care to do it if I don't have to, but Have done.

Word of caution to anyone trying it.

If you can use a ramp to load it in the pick up for transport to the tire guy

If you can not.. JUST ONE PERSON.. Refuse help. If two people grab ahold of a flat tire that big.. One of 'em is going to get hurt.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Scott - What I tried was a 1400 pound that I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago BUT I did not have sufficient air pressure/power to go with it. The compressor I have is a 21 gallon tank that goes up to about 120 pounds. The air line was 3/8's and probably 20 feet or so long. I'd trigger it and almost immediately the compressor would start up. I suspect I'd been successful if I had had a half inch air line and more pressure and more pressure reserve. Maybe Mrs. Santa Clause will bring me a larger compressor for Christmas. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.
Bob
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

I have an older (rebuilt) 30 gal 5hp 220v 150psi compressor and it isnt enough air..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I used a combination of a Proto Torque Multiplier

Stanley Proto Industrial Tools :* J6202A *-* 750 Foot Pound Torque Multiplier

and large wheel dolly

Northern Industrial Truck Wheel Dolly | Wheel Dollies| Northern Tool + Equipment}.

This was the best combination for me. The wheel dolly was the best thing for large and very heavy tires. You could roll the tire up to the axle, rotate it so the holes align and then roll the tire right onto the hub. This combination was so easy I even changed a tire in a snow storm up in a mountain snow ski area once.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Back to post 8. I went out and looked at the box containing the impact wrench. It requires 90 psi at 12 CFM and a one half inch line. My compressor would put out 5.6 CFM at 90 psi so no wonder it didn't do the job. Hooking g a couple of smaller compressors together might do it if you have a couple of them.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Expensive but smaller than a compressor... http://www.amazon.com/Makita-TW1000-.../dp/B0009OR92Y

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have a half incher from a surplus store that did the job.. And yes I'm big enough to wrest with a 22.5" mounted. .Don't care to do it if I don't have to, but Have done.

Word of caution to anyone trying it.

If you can use a ramp to load it in the pick up for transport to the tire guy

If you can not.. JUST ONE PERSON.. Refuse help. If two people grab ahold of a flat tire that big.. One of 'em is going to get hurt.
wa8xym,
May I ask what (1/2") that is that will take off 450 ftlb lug nuts? And, were you using a 1/2" air line and what pressure? This is truly amazing that a 1/2" gun will do what some 1" guns won't touch. Thanks for any info you can supply here.

Quote:
Scott - What I tried was a 1400 pound that I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago BUT I did not have sufficient air pressure/power to go with it. The compressor I have is a 21 gallon tank that goes up to about 120 pounds. The air line was 3/8's and probably 20 feet or so long. I'd trigger it and almost immediately the compressor would start up. I suspect I'd been successful if I had had a half inch air line and more pressure and more pressure reserve. Maybe Mrs. Santa Clause will bring me a larger compressor for Christmas. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.
Bob
1ciderdog,
Well Sir, this is what the whole thing is about. By asking this here, I'm learning what's been tried and worked and didn't work. There's certainly no substitute for experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I have an older (rebuilt) 30 gal 5hp 220v 150psi compressor and it isn't enough air..
Midniteoyl,
That's the almost exact compressor I have. Only mine's a 3HP. Like stated, it's set at output pressure right now at about 150 or 160, 'can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I used a combination of a Proto Torque Multiplier

Stanley Proto Industrial Tools :* J6202A *-* 750 Foot Pound Torque Multiplier

and large wheel dolly

Northern Industrial Truck Wheel Dolly | Wheel Dollies| Northern Tool + Equipment}.

This was the best combination for me. The wheel dolly was the best thing for large and very heavy tires. You could roll the tire up to the axle, rotate it so the holes align and then roll the tire right onto the hub. This combination was so easy I even changed a tire in a snow storm up in a mountain snow ski area once.
Bigd9,
I can see using that torque multiplier for the front wheels but, will it fit inside the rear wheels or, do you put an extension on it and it hangs outside of the wheel for clearance? I've heard of those but, have no experience with them. How well does it work. I realize it's hard to explain the effort needed to break a lug nut free with or without the T/M but, if you could give a short description of how well it works or, how much "less" effort is needed when using it, it would surely be appreciated.

As for the Truck tire/wheel dolly, I have one of those. I got lucky and got it at Quartzsite during the RV event. In fact, a buddy and I bought the two last ones for $20.00 ea. I've used them on fire truck tires and wheels for years and years and they are a life (and back) saver to say the least. It's amazing how easy you can "man-handle" a very heavy, large tire/wheel combo so easily with one of those.

Quote:
Back to post 8. I went out and looked at the box containing the impact wrench. It requires 90 psi at 12 CFM and a one half inch line. My compressor would put out 5.6 CFM at 90 psi so no wonder it didn't do the job. Hooking g a couple of smaller compressors together might do it if you have a couple of them.
Well, this is what I'm thinking here. If, I crank up the output pressure to say, 170, if it will do that, and, have a 1/2" line installed with no restrictions in any of the fittings, I'm thinking maybe, just MAYBE, a 1900 ft lb gun will do the trick. Like stated, I'm sure I'd have to let the compressor cycle if it indeed broke each lug nut loose. That would be no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Expensive but smaller than a compressor... Makita TW1000 12 Amp 1-Inch Impact Wrench - Amazon.com

BCooke,
That is a serious electric powered impact wrench! I've never seen a 1" electric one, wow! I wonder just how powerful that thing is. It surely has a powerful price, that's for sure. I wonder just who buys that wrench and for what purpose. I'd be real interested in how well that thing does. I'm not saying I'd run right down and order one. That's some serious coin.

gents,
To all who've responded. I surely thank you for taking the time to put in your experience on this matter. As stated, I'm not looking to remove these monster tires and wheels daily. It's probably about a "once every 6 month or less" type thing for misc reasons. I did it on all of our other motor homes, two class Cs and one class A, a Bounder with 19" wheels. Those lug nuts were not on with all that much force. But, these, with 450 lbs of torque, are seriously hard to break loose. I've not even tried to do the rears yet, only the fronts.

It drives me nuts to not be able to remove the wheels at my discretion for whatever purpose I may need at the time. So, this is the reason for the thread, what is needed, AT HOME for powered lug nut removal on a Diesel rig with the style/torque lug nuts I (we) have???? Thanks again.
Scott
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

until i got my 80 gallon 2 stage (175 psi ) compressor i used the cummins mounted compressor and 3 axles trucks air tanks. given not a lot of air volume. to run 1" gun turned up air presure on compressor (while changing tire) and used 1/2 air line off tanks. you only get maybe 3 good blows then let compressor build air up. changed a lot of tires this way. only problem i had was i bought a combo socket (inner and outer) inner socket would only grab the very outer part of the nut. outer part of nut are roled over. as soon as i could a got a socket for the inners. never another problem. volume of 80 gallon 2 stage (175) compressor could that off 20 nuts before compressor started. but keeping my 1" gun for my pusher, an geting air over jack tire shops use.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Mr_D,
While there are many higher quality 1/2" guns out there, boasting such high torque specs as 650 and 700 lbs, I'd bet my life that they wouldn't even touch the first lug nut. I'm not too sure where they get those figures but, they're certainly not real. My son works for an RV repair service here in San Diego and they've got two, 1" guns and one won't even think about budging some of the lug nuts on certain coaches. The other one seems to do fine. So, this is the reason for my original question. To see if someone has a gun and or what's the operational conditions, i.e. Compressor size and CFM, Gun size and make/model, air hose size, length etc.
Sorry they had trouble with the guns they tried. What I do know is that the one I have went past 150 ft lbs with a small 1½ hp, 150 psi tank compressor when set at minimum torque. I have no doubt that it can do what it says when connected to enough air output.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Gents,
Who uses a 1" impact gun for removing their tires and wheels from their Diesel pusher?
Scott
Harbor Freight 1".
1" Professional Air Impact Wrench with 6" Anvil
Works great, lasts a long time. I did mine via very large quik connect fittings and large diameter 10' hyd hose I had built at a hyd shop. I threaded an inspection plug that was in the side of the 30 gal compressor for the large female quik disconnect fitting and a ball valve. The compressor max psi is 150 and there isn't a regulator for this add-on fitting.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The best way I found when I have had 2 blow outs on my 22.5" tires.
Was to call my ERS and they sent out a service truck that could handle it all without any help from me.

They took the flat off and mounted another tire on the same rim.

I full time and don't have any room to carry a big air wrench and a compressor big enough to run it anyway.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up:

How do you intend to re-torque the lug nuts? Just saying, if you use a torque wrench with a torque multiplier, you can use the multiplier for removal also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sorry they had trouble with the guns they tried. What I do know is that the one I have went past 150 ft lbs with a small 1½ hp, 150 psi tank compressor when set at minimum torque. I have no doubt that it can do what it says when connected to enough air output.
Mr_D,
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. You say, your gun went past "150 ft lbs" of torque right? But, did you use it on breaking 450 ft lb torque lug nuts on a Diesel rig and did it work for that purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
Harbor Freight 1".
1" Professional Air Impact Wrench with 6" Anvil
Works great, lasts a long time. I did mine via very large quik connect fittings and large diameter 10' hyd hose I had built at a hyd shop. I threaded an inspection plug that was in the side of the 30 gal compressor for the large female quik disconnect fitting and a ball valve. The compressor max psi is 150 and there isn't a regulator for this add-on fitting.
Lonestarace,
OK, now we're getting somewhere. You're saying that Harbor Freight 1" gun, along with your 30 gallon tank on your air compressor DID break loose, lug nuts tightened to 450 ft lbs of torque? And if so, you also say "it lasts a long time", what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you can do mulitple lug nuts without the compressor cycleing? Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The best way I found when I have had 2 blow outs on my 22.5" tires.
Was to call my ERS and they sent out a service truck that could handle it all without any help from me.

They took the flat off and mounted another tire on the same rim.

I full time and don't have any room to carry a big air wrench and a compressor big enough to run it anyway.
Triker56,
Well Sir, not sure if you read the beginning of this thread but, the intent of using the larger, 1" impact gun was not to use on the road. It is to use at home, only on rare occasions when I want to do an inspection of any portion of the brakes, lines, etc. and, do a more complete job of polishing the outer aluminum wheel without the lug nuts and axle in the way. Yes, I can, with a ton of effort, break the lugs loose with a breaker bar and stair stepped supports for the extension needed to reach into the depth of the rear wheels but, I really don't want to do it that way.

Even though it's a bit of expence to purchase a gun like that and, the higher volume air hose/fittings etc. that will be needed to make the system work, for use only on a once in a while operation, it's worth it to me so I can do those things I want to do, at my leasure. I don't like not being able to take a wheel off if and when I want to.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Fire Up:

How do you intend to re-torque the lug nuts? Just saying, if you use a torque wrench with a torque multiplier, you can use the multiplier for removal also.
Bluepill,
First off, I like your user name! As far as re-torqueing the lug nuts when the job is done, I've got access to a large size torque wrench that goes that high. And, based on how much is needed to "get them off", I'm pretty sure I can put almost the exact same amout back on them when tightening them down. But, we'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'd like to try a torque multiplier to see how it works.
Scott
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #20

You say the same compressor, only 3hp. I know the type you mean (Sanborn type) and it wont do the air. Now, you COULD find another tank to add to it. Say from another 'does not run' compressor off Craigslist. I would try to get to 80 or more gallons.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal