Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

This is what I use to remove the lug nut on our RV. It will fit into the rears as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TorqueMultiplier.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	25907  
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
wa8xym,

Bigd9,
I can see using that torque multiplier for the front wheels but, will it fit inside the rear wheels or, do you put an extension on it and it hangs outside of the wheel for clearance? I've heard of those but, have no experience with them. How well does it work. I realize it's hard to explain the effort needed to break a lug nut free with or without the T/M but, if you could give a short description of how well it works or, how much "less" effort is needed when using it, it would surely be appreciated.

As for the Truck tire/wheel dolly, I have one of those. I got lucky and got it at Quartzsite during the RV event. In fact, a buddy and I bought the two last ones for $20.00 ea. I've used them on fire truck tires and wheels for years and years and they are a life (and back) saver to say the least. It's amazing how easy you can "man-handle" a very heavy, large tire/wheel combo so easily with one of those.

Scott
The torque multiplier has a reaction leg that goes to the ground and I use a long 3/4" socket extension bar. The combination allows for easy removal of the rear lug nuts as well as the front and is very stable. I also use the torque multiplier to help in torquing the nuts back on using the chart supplied to adjust my readings so I can use my standard Craftsman torque wrench. I find the TM easy to use and removal of the nuts so smooth. I have used the TM for other nuts/bolts also, like the steering idler arm replacement.

I decided to go with the torque multiplier just so I would not have to buy and carry a 1" air gun. My coach could not supply enough air pressure and/or volume. Kind of a good all around solution. I can loosen the buts with the torque multiplier, then use my standard 1/2" air gun supplied by the air from the coach to remove and install the nuts quite fast.

I would like to use a service as Triker56 said, however we have had problems getting service when we are in remote locations in the winter.

That being said, each to his/her own. Thats what makes this such a great country, right?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
After reading and comprehending all the responses, and, trying to contemplate "if" my air compressor system at home would power up a 1" gun and a 50-60', 1/2" hose good enough to break the 450 lb lugs free on our DP, I think I'm seriously leaning towards the TORQUE MULTIPLIER that's been mentioned. I found the same one on ebay and, it has a demo video that shows it in use. Well, videos are videos and, while it sure makes it look like a piece of cake to break loose those larger lug nuts, I'm not 100% convinced just yet.

About the only way I think I will be convinced totally, is to purchase one, use it and then make a decision as to its validity. Just about all of those Torque multipliers on ebay have a money back return policy and many will pay the return shipping if not satisfied. So, I figure, what can I loose.

Besides, the really good part about getting the TM vs the 1" gun, I can carry the TM on the rig and, use it IF I have to for what ever reason. Whereas it would be useless to carry the big 1" gun as I'd certainly have no way of powering it up. So, I certainly want to thank all of you for taking the time to assist me with this endeavor of "loosening the lugs" on our DP.

Again, this won't be a weekly thing. Just using it on a ONCE IN A WHILE basis for reasons previously stated.

I think I'll just cruise on over to ebay and order one up. When I get it, and give it a whirl, I'll post the results so that anyone else with my same intentions, may be advised and therefore will make a decision to purchase one or not. Thanks to all again.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Scott, if you are near the Blue Grass State you could always zip on over and try mine out. I cook a mean BBQ if you stay for dinner.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Scott, if you are near the Blue Grass State you could always zip on over and try mine out. I cook a mean BBQ if you stay for dinner.
Bigd9,
That's a very, very generous offer, I'm darn near tempted to drive from So CAL just to eat the BBQ!!

As many of us would like to do, try before you buy, it's not always feasible. So, sometimes life's just an experiment, at least for me anyway. I've done that a whole lot. Thank you Sir, and to the rest.
Scott
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

For what it's worth I did try a torque multiplier I bought at Harbor Freight and it broke on the first attempt so my suggestion is get a "good one". I do use many Harbor Freight items but won't get another torque multiplier from them.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to Carl Bice
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Road side insurance is cheaper, safer, and easier. Leave tire changing to the pros, and divert your testostrone to better causes.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffster View Post
Road side insurance is cheaper, safer, and easier. Leave tire changing to the pros, and divert your testostrone to better causes.
Shuffster,
I guess I didn't make myself clear, this is not intended to change tires on the road, it's only for use at home for maintenance issues. I stated I could carry it on the rig as opposed to carrying a 1" impact gun, but, since I, and a few zillion other DP owners don't have a spare, I most likely won't be doing any lug breaking while out on a trip. And you don't have to be a "Pro" to change a tire anyway, I've had flats on two class Cs and one Class A gasser and had no issues changing them out on the road. Yes, these are a bit larger and heavier, but doable. But as stated, there's no spare anyway.
Scott
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Shuffster,
I guess I didn't make myself clear, this is not intended to change tires on the road, it's only for use at home for maintenance issues. I stated I could carry it on the rig as opposed to carrying a 1" impact gun, but, since I, and a few zillion other DP owners don't have a spare, I most likely won't be doing any lug breaking while out on a trip. And you don't have to be a "Pro" to change a tire anyway, I've had flats on two class Cs and one Class A gasser and had no issues changing them out on the road. Yes, these are a bit larger and heavier, but doable. But as stated, there's no spare anyway.
Scott
I understand what you are trying to achieve. I went thru all of this about 4 years ago.
My solution is a used Makita 3/4 electric impact wrench I bought on ebay for $65. It will torque in the neighborhood of 430 ft. lbs. Not enought if tire shop installed your wheels with 1" air wrench but it works for me when I take the time to not over torque when I reinstall wheels. To loosen over tight wheel nuts I carry 3'4" flex bar with cheater pipe.
I check wheel nut torque every so often and have not had any loosen.
I would not recommnd this for Budd wheel nuts, (used on stud mounted wheels) as they can be much tougher if over tightened than the hub mounted wheels most of us have.
I carry the tools with me knowing that if they are in the rv I will probably never need them!

Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

The video?? I love video but the guy was breaking all his tools tightening the lug nuts not removing them! I have used torque multiplying wrenches and they work well. I am not much of a poster obviously but that just killed me. So had to bring it to the attention of anyone that watched the video.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
The video?? I love video but the guy was breaking all his tools tightening the lug nuts not removing them! I have used torque multiplying wrenches and they work well. I am not much of a poster obviously but that just killed me. So had to bring it to the attention of anyone that watched the video.

My first impression also, but then he states left hand threads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Never seen left hand threads on any wheel nuts. I would be surprised if they exist!
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Norseman they do exist
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

They do exist (left handed wheel studs). Izusu NPR's use them. I service a fleet of them.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Many "budd' wheel equipped vehicles have LH threads

the 3/4" and 1" impacts DO require a ton of air volume. A 3/8" hose just won't run them to their full potential. My snap on 3/4" drive and my CP 797 1" drive will actually do less for breaking nuts/bolts loose than my IR 2131 1/2" drive when they are connected on a 3/8" hose. Now when on a 1/2" hose...look out they are powerful.
Using nothing bigger than my 1/2" until last year....I had to replumb my compressor for a 1/2" hose. I had run only 3/8" hose prior. I have not tried the 3/4" drive for my lug nuts...only the 1" and it takes them off just fine. I have an 80 gal, 2 stage comp with a 155psi max press
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Never seen left hand threads on any wheel nuts. I would be surprised if they exist!
My 98 DutchStar DP on Spartan chassis had left hand threads on the streetside lugnuts.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

This all sounds way too complicated and like a lot of work...I thought RV'n was supposed to be fun and a way to relax when you're retired...?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
This all sounds way too complicated and like a lot of work...I thought RV'n was supposed to be fun and a way to relax when you're retired...?
They are Sir.
When in between trips, and I'm tinkering, this is one of my tinkering ideas. I have set my yard(s) up, both front and back to a point of minimal maintenance. I was going to paint my house but, the DW talked me into getting some estimates so, I did and, had the entire house, 2200 square feet, 3-tone painted, all with patch work on some of the stucco, door edges and more and is completely done.

I've set my side yard up with a complete motorhome cover, including sliding front curtains for doors to the m/h cover so, now with all that done, I've got the time to do little, and big things I like to do on the coach. As stated, I'm not planning on removing these wheels and tires every day. I'll just do it once in a while for a little inspection and fun wheel polishing.

Then, when out on a trip, I can be proud of how she looks and, be a little more at piece with what's behind them in terms of brakes etc.

When all this gets too hard for me and I start straining too much for my maintenance, that's when you won't see threads started like this one, I'll just have it all done. Hope you see my point(s) here.
Scott
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP

They are Sir.
When in between trips, and I'm tinkering, this is one of my tinkering ideas. I have set my yard(s) up, both front and back to a point of minimal maintenance. I was going to paint my house but, the DW talked me into getting some estimates so, I did and, had the entire house, 2200 square feet, 3-tone painted, all with patch work on some of the stucco, door edges and more and is completely done.

I've set my side yard up with a complete motorhome cover, including sliding front curtains for doors to the m/h cover so, now with all that done, I've got the time to do little, and big things I like to do on the coach. As stated, I'm not planning on removing these wheels and tires every day. I'll just do it once in a while for a little inspection and fun wheel polishing.

Then, when out on a trip, I can be proud of how she looks and, be a little more at piece with what's behind them in terms of brakes etc.

When all this gets too hard for me and I start straining too much for my maintenance, that's when you won't see threads started like this one, I'll just have it all done. Hope you see my point(s) here.
Scott
That's me to a tee!

Tags
removal