Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Old motorhomes

Any problem to watch for with My old 1989 winnebago at parks etc.?
Will I have a problem being allowed to park?
Thanks
Retired Navy
48ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Only a few places discriminate by RV's age, you probably will never encounter it unless you try to go to a 'fancy' place or a very popular wintering location. Keep it clean and shiny and you'll perhaps never be questioned.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Plenty of opportunities. The number of RV resorts restricting as to age is comparatively small. And even those that do basically just want a nice looking rig, so keep it shined up. Some however are catering exclusively to an upscale crowd so take your pick. I prefer the more homogeneous nature of well maintained and welcoming environments.

Also public campgrounds do not restrict as to age (maybe I'm wrong but have never seen such a restriction) and there are plenty of public campgrounds.

At the same time I do not like something looking like a piece of junk, jacked up, with the hood off next to me. So I understand when I see the rule listed but it takes discretion to manage it well.

I'm reminded of the time when traveling by car (our MH was wrecked and we were on our way home w/o it while it was repaired). We were tired and stopped at a motel in Santa Barbara. I went in to secure a room and announced we had a small dog. The clerk summoned the manager who ask to see the dog. I brought him in for review and he passed (he is much more presentable than I). Only then did I notice the "no pets" sign at the registration desk. We stayed the night and our dog was well behaved as usual.

So much of it has to do with honesty, attitude and respect for others on the part of providers and campers.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Can't answer for the camp grounds or parks, but we have a real admiration for the older coaches. You can park next to us anytime!
Best of luck and let us know what you find.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The only CG I know of that would send you down the road is Mission Bay CG inSan Diego. Nothing is accepted there prior to a 1995 model year. They are a city run facility, and true to the way many govt operations function, they will not sign you in until you provide them with your vehicle registration. At least that is the way it was a few years ago when I was there last, and that policy is still stated on their website.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
The only CG I know of that would send you down the road is Mission Bay CG inSan Diego. Nothing is accepted there prior to a 1995 model year. They are a city run facility, and true to the way many govt operations function, they will not sign you in until you provide them with your vehicle registration. At least that is the way it was a few years ago when I was there last, and that policy is still stated on their website.
isnt it great the way the "guberment" can operate and then tell us how to
behave
this is my social comment and i do not intend for it in any way to be construed as a political comment
brianj
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
FDC
Winnebago Camper

Some KOA'S discriminate by age. We booked two for the winter in Florida. The one asked what year when I told them a 98 they said they would have to see it first. I told them I would not drive all the way there to be rejected so I faxed them a pic and the campground owner approved it with a signature and sent it back. The other did not even ask about the age. I asked them if there would be an issue with a coach older then 10 years and they said no come on down.
FDC is offline   Reply With Quote