Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello,
My name is Stan. I am new to this forum and to the RV world. I just purchased a 1988 Winnebago Elandon. Its a very nice unit but does have some issues. From what i have been reading the fuel system problems are common. This on has a 454 in it and it will start up fine. It idles great, a little rough at times but i m guessing it is because it has been sitting for quite some time. once it warms up the problem starts,it begins to run rough, backfire a bit and then stalls. it will start easy enough but the problem repeats it self. Any advice would be great. i have been forced into an early retirement due to health and having been a long haul trucker for years if figured this would be a way to cure the driving itch. want to get moving trouble free
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome, Stan.
We have moved your post to a more appropriate forum and someone should be along soon to help answer your questions.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
Site Team

OBD-1 Trouble Codes

Hi Stan, As your 454 is 31 years old, and probably not driven much lately, it is possible you have condensed water from what was a mostly-empty fuel tank now collecting in your fuel filter, thereby plugging it. I would replace that to see if the backfiring goes away. Next, I would get an OBD-1 Code Reader. Many Auto Parts stores will read these codes for you for free, if you like. While a backfire can be from a lean-out condition, such as too little fuel, it also might be too much air, such as a leaking intake manifold or leaking vacuum line. See if you can hear or feel a vacuum leak somewhere. Of course, over-advanced timing is another possibility. Just all guesses. Good luck.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would change the fuel filter and put some Heet or some kind of fuel additive in the fuel tank. Could be a sticky float needle valve or clogged jets in the carb.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Team

I should also mention that backfiring can also be from a leaking intake valve. If your engine cranks smoothly, then the valves are probably seating well, but if it cranks with a pulse (a rhythmic increasing in cranking speed) you probably have a bad valve or valve spring. A compression check is another way to investigate this. Should that be the case, a re-manufactured 454 Long Block would be a great way to fix it. Expect to pay about $3,000 for the engine (with core) and another $2,500 for installation. I hope this isn't needed, but it often times is better to go this route, rather than try to just do a valve job.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

These are some good suggestions. I also left work early due to health. One of my frustrations is having to employ others to fix things I would normally attempt myself! In your time as a long haul driver, did you encounter a service center that gained your confidence? The running gear of your motorhome is not unique to any other truck. Go to a mechanic you trust, get it fixed and get on the road! Enjoy your retirement!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Welcome Stan all good answers I'm a retired auto mechanic you can use a vacuum Guage to check sticking valves, I would also use a fuel pressure Guage to check fuel pressure very possible you might just need major tune up if you were close by i would be happy to lend a helping hand
The Kizers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Spark plug wires?

First place I would check or just replace, is the spark plug wires. If they haven't already been changed they are likely the problem and the easiest fix. Bad, leaky wires cause the problems you describe.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Indeed, if not already done, a full tune-up is in order!

New plugs, wires, distributor cap to start with. While the cap is off, pull the electronic module and make sure that it has a good coating of dielectric grease on the back of it. When it gets hot or loses contact it can cause some really strange problems.

If the issue continues, then when it begins to "stutter" when warm, lay a nice cold and wet cloth over the coil (in cap). That is one way to rule out if the windings are breaking down and starting to open up when heated. Heck, for the cost you could also just replace it with a better model.

Finally, since your chassis is right in the changeover year from carbureted to TBI, I would make sure that the choke pull-off is working correctly when it's warm. If its TBI, use a timing light to check spray pattern.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter, first, then pump. There several filter inline.
Barny750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags