Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

manually opening slide out

I recently purchased a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain. The slide out did not work when I purchased it. I was wondering if it is possible to open and close the slide out manually. There is a winch that can be purchased but I do not know where to use it. Any suggestions?
tj02360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #2

You don't want to use the manual method which is designed to retract the slide when it is out; and not the other way around.

If you tell us what type of slideout you have, maybe we can help you get your system working again for cheap.

Do you have any information from the previous owner on why the slide is not working?

Do you know of any symptoms when you try to extend the slide?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think it's possible (at least from a practical standpoint) to manually extend the slide-out but you can manually retract it. Here's a link to the owner's manual, which you can download. Page 2-19 describes the emergency retraction process.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...8Chieftain.pdf

The fact that it won't work could be a simple repair or it could be significant. Page 2-19 also contains some basic troubleshooting steps. Basically, there are three major categories of issues, electrical, hydraulic and mechanical.

1. Other than fuses, electrical issues could have to do with the control unit or the wiring.

2. Hydraulic issues could have to do with the pump, fluid, the hoses, the hydraulic cylinders.

3. Mechanical issues would encompass problems with the guide rails, etc.

If you can describe what happens when you try to extend the slideout we might be able to help. Did the prior owner give you any info on the slideout issue?

Do your leveling jacks work OK? They operate off the same hydraulic pump as the slideout so, if they operate, you've eliminated it as a problem. Even if they're not working, can you hear the pump running? If not, the first thing I'd check is to see if the pump has a good ground connection. If you're lucky, that may fix everything. Make sure your fluid level is OK.

Winnebago has a host of online information relating to your MH, including wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams, parts lists, etc. I suggest you download everything specific to your MH so you have them when you need them even if the internet is down.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

(note that some links may be broken but Winnebago has been fixing them, so keep trying)

Also, here's a link to some info on HWH slideouts, however, they don't have information linked to a specific model Winnebago older than 2002, but you may find something helpful. Winnebago should be able to tell you which HWH system is installed in your MH.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html

Let us know the answers to my questions.

We love a new project. There's even a Winnieowner who works for HWH, the manufacturer of the slideout system who can help, but he and we will need more information.

One last thing. If you go to the User CP in the toolbar, you can set up a signature block similar to mine so we'll always know exactly what model Chieftain you have. Make sure you include your specific chassis since the Chieftain 33WB came with either a 6.8L V10 or a 7.5L V8 chassis.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

manually extend slideout

this info has been extremely helpful. I will get the details as to the slide out model and the rv model and reply as soon as I check the hydraulics.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

manually extend slideout

I bought the rv as a retirement project. I am now stripping most of the inside. I believe most of my problems are electrical. The rv starts up and the inside lights work when it is running but the battery appears to lose it's charge as soon as I turn the engine off. The leveling system and slide out make no noises when I try them. If I hook the shore line up to a 4000 watt generator, would this be enough to see if they work?

Thanks
Tom
Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

4000W @ 120V is approximately 30A, which is equivalent to shore power so no problem.

Hopefully your slide-out problem is electrical. It's less messy and probably less expensive than the alternatives.

Regarding your battery, it probably isn't taking a charge. What you're seeing is voltage from your engine. When you shut your engine off, your house battery may show a surface charge for a while, which ultimately dissipates. If it's fairly new and the fluid level is OK, try disconnecting it and hooking it up to an external charger to see if it will charge fully. If not you need a new house battery, or better yet, batteries. If it does take a charge and discharges after you reconnect it, then you have a battery drain somewhere.

In terms of a new battery, I suggest you think about installing two, true deep cycle batteries, either two 6v golf cart batteries in series or two 12v true deep cycle batteries, not the more common RV/Marine dual purpose batteries. Any battery with CCA (cold cranking amps) in its specs isn't a true deep cycle battery.

Your converter/charger, which operates off your shore power will definitely need replacing even if it works. The newer models have multi-stage charging which is much kinder to your batteries. This is what I used to upgrade my 2002 35U:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools you should have for troubleshooting electrical issues are:

1. A multimeter with a clamp-on DC amp probe. This will be indispensable in tracking down current flow and power drains. Multimeters without the clamp require you disconnect the wire to measure amperage. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multimete..._1_16_ts-doa-p

2. DC Circuit Tracer- This is optional but nice to have. Insert a tone at one end of a wire and find the other end with the probe:

https://www.amazon.com/ALLOSUN-EM415...3077137&sr=8-5

Also, Winnebago wires have letter codes on them. Here's a link to the list (hopefully it's applicable to your year):

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Old 06-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

you are in for a real challenge project and info seems like a good p[lace to start, so a few links to get to what you may want to look over . Save it for the days when it gets too hot, too cold or too tired? Happens all the time for me!

Parts drawings can give an idea of how things are put together, so we might get them apart?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...8/98wl33wb.pdf

They are kinda /sorta arranged in alphabet order but strange at times, like slideout is not in "S" but under exterior! If you are on a computer, one way to speed the search is hit "ctrl and "F" to bring a dropdown and type in a search like slideout and it gives you a list of where that is in that file! Lots easier than tons of scrolling?
Page 54 might be a place to check for the slide parts to see what they show there. Easier to find and fix if we know it's there and where?

Wiring info?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Plumbing?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...33wb_plumb.pdf

Hope that gives you some info to start and we're always open for questions as things move on.

Meanwhile on the power, I see there are two versions of the US made and may be 50 or 30 amp. so the easy way to tell which is looking at the plug. So if you have a 30amp plug, going to a genset with 30 amp outlet is likely goo for running everything. But if it is the 50 amp Rv, don't expect to run too many like both AC at the same time! And the plug won't fit, anyway!!!

Right side of page one of this drawing will give an idea of where the power cord feeds and get you to the load center/ breaker panel for some checking there. I might suggest going the safer route when starting an old one and turn most of the breakers off at the load center, get power to that point and then gradually flip on one at a time to let things settle and not overload our minds with too many things that don't look right.

Maybe just my way of thinking, but I can figure it out better if I have one thing that fails far better than if it seems like everything is messed up! I can only screw in one light bulb at a time!!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

this is certainly helpful and gives me a clear direction to begin. I will keep you filled in on my progress.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Morich is the best when it comes to electrical problems. He'll get things sorted out for you.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #10

If you have an HWH system...

FYI, sometimes all you need to do to get the HWH pump working again is to attach a ground wire to the metal motor case.

This works because the motor ground comes from the 2 long 5" screws the mount the motor and these screws rust our or lose ground by becoming saturated with hydraulic oil.

In fact, as a reminder to the rest of us, adding ground wire is advisable, because before you get to no-ground you first start off with a weak-ground and then it gets worse... and one day you HWH motor will not operate... leaving you perplexed and your jacks are down and your slides are out!

So adding a separate ground wire is good preventative maintenance for our HWH motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Valves - Under Front Steps 2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	179397   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Slideout Valves - Under Front Steps.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	179398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Horizon HWH Pump Motor Parker Part # RAP91243.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	179399  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

locating inverter

does anyone know where the inverter is located on a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain 33WB?
Old 06-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You may not have one, it was an option.

Page 8-13 of the Operator manual refers to its location as being in the overhead video center compartment:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...8Chieftain.pdf

In any case, even if you do have one, it's probably overdue for replacement even if it works. The technology has changed drastically over the intervening years.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj02360 View Post
does anyone know where the inverter is located on a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain 33WB?
I see one mention of inverter in the parts catalog and it is only 130 watt but then I am not able to locate it at any spot on either the 110 AC or 12 VDC drawings.
That brings the question of why you feel there is one. Do you find a switch, label or some other clue we might use to chase the location or is it just that some RV do have one and you wondered where yours might be?

Point being that some do, some don't and I can't find it if it is there on the drawings!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Chieftain 33WB

locating inverter

Bob C was correct. It was in the overhead video compartment.

Tags
manual, slide, slide out