Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Looking for 1970s Winnebago Chieftain

im new to irv2 but i am in the market for a new (old) rv. i used to own a 5th wheel but years of decay made it unusable. i also tried the classic motorhomes forum but got no responses. i was wondering if anyone on this website new anyone that was looking to sell an early 1970s chietan. ive been looking for years but i just found this site and figured that this would be my best chance. my ideal motorhome im in the market for is a 1972-1974 winnebago chieftan d-27-c, preferably running and driving. if anyone knows someone looking to sell in the southern united states id really appreciate it and i will look at all serious offers. thank you
lonestar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would try Craigs List but I would use searchtempest.com to search with. It lets you search all or part of craigs list from your zip code by setting a max distance from your home. And you can search anything on it.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This could be tricky to find something of this era that is worth anything. I see a few of these things sitting out in fields or in the desert that have just sat and rotted over the years. They are a classic, good luck with your search.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
You probably already tried this, but just in can you haven't "Google" exactly what you are looking for. You may be surprised what you find (but then again, you may not).

ed
ed rzepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Why a 70's rig when you can get an early 90's rig for the same $?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Did you try this? Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar83 View Post
.... i also tried the classic motorhomes forum but got no responses....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Good luck with your search. I hope that whatever your do, you maintain the integrity of the decor, even down to avocado green carpets, etc. When I was a kid camping in our pop up in th 70s, a Chieftain would be the coolest thing in any campground.

I also find it interesting looking at the old Winnebago advertising as it was focused on being young with a "hip" style, not so much today in the RV world........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
yea thats what i meant to say. i tried them to see if they had suggestions on where to look but i got no responses. i jave also seen a lot of people warning others to not use that site for some reason.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

i hadnt thought of that. ive just never used cragslist so ill give it a shot. i really dont have a max distance i mean i drove from texas to illinois to buy a lawnmower once lmao
Old 12-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Good luck with your search. I hope that whatever your do, you maintain the integrity of the decor, even down to avocado green carpets, etc. When I was a kid camping in our pop up in th 70s, a Chieftain would be the coolest thing in any campground.

I also find it interesting looking at the old Winnebago advertising as it was focused on being young with a "hip" style, not so much today in the RV world........
yea i love the old school. thats why id prefer a 70s chieftan because they looked awesome. i just want to see if i can find one that someone isnt too attached to but theyre not easy to find apparently. ive been in the market for years and havent found anything close to what im lookin for but still tryin
Old 12-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Try this
Home Page
Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

1974 Winnebago Indian D25-l

I am the original owner bought new in 1974. This coach has many upgrades and I have added more over the years. Until 11 years ago was in San Diego but moved to the Seattle area then where it is in my garage. With my 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD. My son was going to take the 74 but decided on a trailer as he already had a big new SUV.
Sorry if you were looking for lime green carpet as I replaced it. Original 4k Onan generator, roof rack, ladder & storage box, Dodge 440-3 engine with new timing chain, and has the Winnebago Dual Fuel propane system. New cushions & covers, FlexsSteel driver and copilot seats, driving computer. All manuals, Winnebago, Dodge chassis, and manuals & documents on everything that has been added. Original Winnebago sales info. As I have been getting it ready to sell, hopefully to someone who wants a classic, I have many pictures.
The tires are 19.5 in great condition but even stored inside are "aged out".
If anyone would be interested you can reach me at Phoenix.bears at gmail.com .

Vern Phoenix
Old 12-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
I am the original owner bought new in 1974. This coach has many upgrades and I have added more over the years. Until 11 years ago was in San Diego but moved to the Seattle area then where it is in my garage. With my 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD. My son was going to take the 74 but decided on a trailer as he already had a big new SUV.
Sorry if you were looking for lime green carpet as I replaced it. Original 4k Onan generator, roof rack, ladder & storage box, Dodge 440-3 engine with new timing chain, and has the Winnebago Dual Fuel propane system. New cushions & covers, FlexsSteel driver and copilot seats, driving computer. All manuals, Winnebago, Dodge chassis, and manuals & documents on everything that has been added. Original Winnebago sales info. As I have been getting it ready to sell, hopefully to someone who wants a classic, I have many pictures.
The tires are 19.5 in great condition but even stored inside are "aged out".
If anyone would be interested you can reach me at Phoenix.bears at gmail.com .

Vern Phoenix
I would like to see some pictures of this classic.

Tags
winnebago