Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile 85 Winnebago Elandan 35ft'er

Hello and thx for having me to your forums.

I am the lucky owner of a just purchased 85 Winnebago Elandan 35ft'er Motorhome. I have a few questions.

1. Where is the water pump switch so I can use the shower, toilette etc.
2. The Generator was stolen from the RV and the mounting system. I purchased a new (USED) Onan 4kw generator. Does anyone have pictures, drawins specs on a underbody mounting system for Onan Gen Set Generators pls?
3. The Air Horns dont work. Any electrical diagrams on this and more would be much appreciated.

Thank you from a new happy camper and hope you all are enjoying your RV as I am. Never owned one earlier but looking forward to my trip to Tennessee in 3 weeks.

/Mike
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has plumbing, wiring, and parts info available online, but unfortunately that only goes back to about 1990. Here's the brochure for the 1985 Elandan. The owner's manual for "1985 Winnebago & Itasca All" is part number 054185-22-000 and should be available from your local dealer or Lichtsinn Motors.

I would recommend contacting Winnebago Owner Relations/Customer Service (see FAQ)--they may be able to provide you with additional info on your coach tha's not available on the web site.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Many thank yous for the reply. I will contact Winnebago Industries and if I get the information I will post it here for others that may wonder the same things Im new to Motorhomes and so far is a fun experience. Just came back from DMV with registration sticker in hand and ready to see the great american scenarios around the country, cant wait

/Mike
Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mike, am anxious to read what all you find out about our model year, as too recently purchased a 1985 Elandan, it's an RT31. I haven't used it yet, as I have to fix the center seam of the roof first, then the damage to the interior ceiling (and other places no doubt) before its truly usable.
StarfireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Starfire, congrats on your purchase. The 85 Winnebago Elandan is a really nice vehicle. I just installed an Onan 4kW Generator, built a new frame for it and played with the power cables for 2 hours until figuring out that the negative cable had a short somewhere hehe but got it working perfect now. The 85's I know have some minor overheating issues or run hot issues. Best to fix this is geting a 180degrees thermostat and cleaning out the radiator from debris.
Been fixing my chariot up a bit but 1 thing I really cant get a grip on is how the water system works. You have a clue? How do I start the fresh water pump etc. so I can do dishes, flush the toilette and even take a shower
PS: If you have fuel leaking issues etc let me know can possibly help you out there. Been looking the past 2 weeks on fuel issues with the 85's and the fuel tank selector valve has mega issues. Mine (both) were leaking and when I fixed the leaks the main tank builds up some incredible pressure inside. The tanks need a vacuum line or something. Still working on it atm

GL With your Elandan.

/Mike
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The Elandans were really neat old coaches. Hope it all works out for you.

Ken
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mike, just saw your post. I am going to my Elandan tomorrow, and will find out. I am pretty sure that the pump control is on the white & black control panel/clock, just below the microwave & above the stove, the panel is also in combination with the exhaust fan for the stove. Either way, I will double check tomorrow.

I agree, besides the dated looking interior colors/materials/etc, it has a timeless exterior styling. I plan to do a complete "makeover" this winter. Mine was parked under a tree for the last 6 years hardly used, and NOT used for the past 2-3 years prior to my purchase.

I have only taken mine out a couple of times, as the front tires are VERY dry rotted, and until I decide on what size I am going to go with (thinking 245/70/19.5 nice and wide, but close in sidewall height to the nearly new 8x19.5 Michelins installed on the rear) I drove it pretty hard each time to see what might fail or exhibit an issue. It never got hotter than 180, on a 90 deg day, even after I floored it from each stop light, and even got it up to 75 mph, where it was fairly smooth, but steering was a bit loose/wondering (245/70's will help that I believe) for my liking. The only engine issue was some surging when I went up a semi-steep grade. I removed the air cleaner cover to allow more air, but that didn't help that particular problem, still surged sometimes on a steep grade on acceleration.

Did you build a frame for the Onan per factory spec's or update/improve it? Seems I have heard the mounting is not the best as it allows moisture and road spray to enter the compartment and elec. components. Mine has the 7K Onan, it cranks, but doesn't start, no doubt after 3 years of no use, it needs some carb work.

Air Horns non-opp like yours, the air pump is not working, so I am sure it needs to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed and bench tested.

Also, I think you can go to Winnebago's web site and find PDF files for somethings. I need more info on systems too, I only have the small owners manual, like you get with a care that has very basic (better than nothing) information. Let me know what you find out from Winnebago if/when you contact them.

You doing any mod's/updated/etc, or planing on any in the future?

Chris

Here's a pic as it looks currently, major fading of the front stripes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85Elandan1.jpg
Views:	4171
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	6466  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Heya Chris, my names Mike btw.

The loose steering I have heard are due to the thin tires up front. I do have the same issue.

I am in the process of moving from California to Tennessee and am looking forward to a road trip with my little girl (Winnebago) My wife left to Tennessee earlier for a job so will meet up with here also soon. Just really excited over the trip, first ever with a Motor home.

I will take some pic's of mine tomorrow after work and post them. I am missing the microwave and figured there was a panel there due to the million cables cut in the compartment for the microwave. If you have a picture I would be grateful.

I am planing on alot of upgrades for her once I hit Tennessee and she goes in storage next to the house. Paint job, update with fresh electrical wires and the small fixes needed to the interior such as roof liner swaging, kabinet doors coming apart, reglue needed and some lists dropping etc.

My wife says when I enter my Winnebago I become a child, huge smile and a glow of happiness. My own home on wheels and the only way to see this great nation of ours.

Anyways many many thx. for the info and TXiceman thx for the wishes.

Oh the Onan mount I built with a friend. Basically just a sturdy square frame bottom bolted into the bottom in the right rear. I will be sealing it with a nice wooden bottom cover so dirt and water does not get in there after I get a muffler for the generator Wood because Im a carpenter!

Very nice Winnebago you have btw, mine does not have the W in the paint line/stripe like yours, they painted over it but I will repaint it back later. Also mine are missing the roof lights (4) of them I belive :(

Cheers.

/Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi folk's (83 Itasca here) and some info...
I run the 225-70-19.5 Goodyear and they are nice tires with NO wandering driving down the road, Perhaps 245s might be a dab better but the 225s corrected the speedometer perfectly.
With the 33' length on mine the stock A.C. Delco fuel pump could not suck up e'nuf fuel on the hills (0 vacuum on the climbs) to supply the carb so it was off to the carb shop for some mods (Mainly a bigger fuel inlet #130) and a change from the A.C. fuel pump to a "Edelbrock #1722" fuel pump (6 PSI and 110 GPM) and the problems are cured.
All the hills out of the Coachella valley (Palm Springs) are pulled in high gear with the cruise control on without any down shifting, Cajon pass and the Grapevine are the same....NO downshifting......Have fun with your rigs...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thx for the info Jim, very helpful. I will probably be looking for new front tires soon as well.

Chris here are some pics of my little girl.

Hope these pic's show, first time uploading.

The third pic is the opening for the Microwave unit. Think you mentioned a control panel thats supposed to be there?

Anyways there she is. Dont have the awning but will get one later. Need a good paint on her and she will be as good as new to conquer the US Highways
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-11-02 16.19.05.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	6471   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-14 16.33.15.jpg
Views:	1643
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	6472  

Name:	2010-11-02 16.18.11.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	6473   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-02 16.19.24.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	6474  

Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here is a BF Type Onan wiring diagram. Believe it might be the same on most older onans though mine is a 4kw one Type BF. Might give a clue at how it functions if you dont have the diagrams yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BF Wiring Diagram.pdf (36.9 KB, 329 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

85' 454 engine belt routing

Oh yah, belt routing is always good to have. You probably have it already but if anyone else needs it it's for the 454 engine.

I save everything I can find surfing the web regarding the 85 elandan. If anyone has more files, diagrams etc. please let me know or email me @ [email protected]. Would be appreciated and good stuff to keep handy in case you need it some day.

PS: It says 90 thru 94 but this is the exact routing of an 85 454 engine. I know, I checked mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	belt-routing-454.jpg
Views:	9483
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	6476  
Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mike, it looks like you are missing the control & monitoring panel. Here is what above the stove is supposed to look like. The cream colored box below microwave is the control/monitoring/vent-a-hood combo that seems to be missing from your picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ElandanMicro:ControlPnl.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	6480  
Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mike, your Elandan looks great, and if from CA, it's no doubt a solid unit. I used to live in the Los Angeles area when I purchased my Starfire years ago, but it was from a couple who lived in Santa Barbara and all the was metal suffered a bit from the salt air as they only drove it 20,000 in 12 years before I purchased it in 2000.

it appears your entire unit has been painted white, opposed to the off-white/cream color they were painted from the factory.

Also, when I looked at the PDF files on the Winnebago site, the files for the 1990 model seem to VERY similar if not exact with respect to wiring diagrams, component diagrams etc. Seems it's a good place for us to start to get at least "general" ideas of whats where.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Hi folk's (83 Itasca here) and some info...
I run the 225-70-19.5 Goodyear and they are nice tires with NO wandering driving down the road, Perhaps 245s might be a dab better but the 225s corrected the speedometer perfectly.
With the 33' length on mine the stock A.C. Delco fuel pump could not suck up e'nuf fuel on the hills (0 vacuum on the climbs) to supply the carb so it was off to the carb shop for some mods (Mainly a bigger fuel inlet #130) and a change from the A.C. fuel pump to a "Edelbrock #1722" fuel pump (6 PSI and 110 GPM) and the problems are cured.
All the hills out of the Coachella valley (Palm Springs) are pulled in high gear with the cruise control on without any down shifting, Cajon pass and the Grapevine are the same....NO downshifting......Have fun with your rigs...

Jim
Thanks Jim, love the fuel pump issue ideas. If your's can navigate the hills in the Coachella Valley, which I am very familiar with, then not much could affect it. There is that one LA to PS slightly winding steep hill on Hwy 10 just prior to the flats that is a killer for most Semi's and RV and I enjoy seeing the infamous "non-potable water" pull off area near the top <grin>.

I am conflicted with respect to tire choices to some degree, I'd like to go with 225's all around to enjoy the benefits of spedo correction and less downshifting, but not sure I want to RV to sit any lower than it already is. Also, I am not looking to replace all the tires at this time, as the 8x19.5 rear Michelins, are in great shape, and 225 in the front would be like driving down-hill at all times. I don't have front air bags, so I cant raise the front to compensate. The 245's seems best at this point for me since they are bigger in all respects, offering a better ride and better control (hopefully) and they have a sidewall height that matches the 8x19.5 better so its a more lever ride for me.

I can get Chinese 245's installed/balanced for $210 each, seems reasonable I think, and better suits my budget for simply wanting to get rid of the heavily sidewall cracked Bridgestone's that are on the front now so I can at least move it around as I need to without worry of a blowout.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Starfire, I didn't realize the 8r-19.5s would throw off the speedometer until a "GPS" was hooked up....

Would be driving along at 62 MPH and the actual speed was 66 which is cop bait, Now driving at 58 MPH and the "GPS" shows 59 and the cops fly on by without even a glance.

Those 225-70-19.5 are 1 inch shorter and a dab over 1/2 inch wider and handle the rig well....

On the "Air bags" yep I replaced the front critters and added some big ones on the rear PLUS the added air pump is controled by a dash electrical switch....

I don't know IF you have vacumm in your fuel tank or if it has pressure but you can remove (for a test) the gas cap to see if that helps the problem of running out of fuel during a hill climb.....I installed a "Carter street/strip" electrical fuel pump after I was assured the mechanical fuel pump would pull fuel through it....THEY LIED.....

The engine ran fine with the pump turned on but the condition with the pump off even with a small climb and would spit and sputter so off with the pumps and on with the "Edelbrock 1722" (110 GPH @ 6 PSI) which the Rochestor just loves....

On the carb, "SMI" carb shop in Huntington beach went thru it again and changed the inlet size to a #130 for greater fuel flow especially when those 2 back toilets open up.....

There are many other mods that can be made in the engine but this at least is a good start.....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Jim, lots of good info to get my rig run'n the hills better <grin>

Mike, I took apart my control panel for you. Until you find a replacement, you can at least wire up some switches to turn the water pump and water heater on. If you need different vantage points let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ElandanControlPanel1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	6495   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElendanControlPanel2.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	6497  

Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Wow very much appreciated chris. I am still waiting on winnebago to return to me about the technical charts for that panel but with these pictures I actually got it working

Many many thank yous again!!

/Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mike,

You're most welcome. Glad I was able to help. Let me know if I can help further.

Take Care,
Chris
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Howdy Chris,
Now in Texas we'd say you'd do 'to ride the river with' !!! What a friend!!!

butterbean
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote