Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #61
Winnebago Owner

I started on the repair of the bedroom corner water damage. I decided removing the full length closet was the proper procedure. 1st pic is the closet with door and drawers removed. 2nd pic is just the side frame still left. 3rd pic is the closet removed. Basically you have to pull off the face frame and then unscrew the rest. I had one screw stripped from the factory that had to be sawzwd all to remove but otherwise went ok. The overhead cabinets have a "chase" in the bottom for the wiring to the lights. The upper panel has to be pried up to get to the screws fastened to the full length closet side.

You can see the water damage pretty easily in the last pic. It extends from the corner in each direction (side and rear walls) about 10-15 inches. Seems to be about half way down from the top. Most likely I will just pull all the old luan out and replace with a new sheet. I may leave the lower half in place depending on what I find. Any that is in good condition would be hard to remove since the glue is holding it in a sandwich to the foam. We'll see how it goes.

Not sure how to get the pictures to show up right side up. I tried turning them in the folder but apparently I'm missing something. Looks like pics taken with the i phone held horizontally show up ok and the vertical ones do not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	183169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	183170  

Name:	IMG-0607.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	183171  
Old 06-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
Not sure how to get the pictures to show up right side up. I tried turning them in the folder but apparently I'm missing something. Looks like pics taken with the i phone held horizontally show up ok and the vertical ones do not.
BINGO !
And not just horizontally but with the "home" button/area to the right and the volume buttons on the bottom.

If you already have vertically shot photos on your phone you can fix them to show correctly. View them vertically on the phone and take a screen shot of the photo. Then when you upload the photo upload the screen shot, not the original photo.

The other method is to download your vertical photos to your desktop computer and use a photo editing program to rotate the photo to vertical and then SAVE the photo in that position.

The reason they "rotate" is because your phone puts orientation data on a hidden part of the photo file. Your phone or tablet is able to take that info and rotate the view for you - but here the forum software reads the orientation and displays the photo according to the orientation info on the image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hold phone right.png
Views:	38
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	183172  
Old 06-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #63
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Creativepart

I use the photo's on my computer all the time, but of course they show up just fine or I can turn them if not. Posting them threw me off I don't recall having that issue before, which just means I was lucky...

Hadn't thought about using the photo editor, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to remember to use the horizontal phone position in the future.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #64
Winnebago Master

I don't think I've ever had this problem. I wonder if it only occurs when posting directly from a phone.

I always post to forums from my computer so the photos from my phone have been downloaded to my computer before being posted. I usually downsize them and may crop them but don't change the orientation on my computer since I chose "portrait" vs. "landscape" for a reason when I took the photo. To the best of my recollection they've always posted correctly.

Here are two that I just did without editing except for size and they uploaded just fine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220611_121606.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	183173   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_121644.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	183174  

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob. I download the photos to my PC as well. And on the PC they always show up with the right orientation, even though you can clearly see if they are horizontal or vertical camera wise.

I usually connect the iphone cable to a usb port and download that way. Sometimes I just email them to myself and then download from my email. I'm wondering if that might make a difference. Something I'll have to test.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #66
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Bob. I download the photos to my PC as well. And on the PC they always show up with the right orientation, even though you can clearly see if they are horizontal or vertical camera wise.

I usually connect the iphone cable to a usb port and download that way. Sometimes I just email them to myself and then download from my email. I'm wondering if that might make a difference. Something I'll have to test.
I emailed mine to myself, opened the email on my computer and downloaded the photos. When I brought them up on the computer they were in the proper orientation, just as they were taken and just as they appear when I posted them.

I don't think the method of transferring to your computer makes any difference. I think the computer is smart enough to read the orientation code embedded by your phone but the forum software isn't. This issue isn't limited to Winnieowners. Here's an explanation from another site:

https://intercom.help/livelocal/en/a...or-upside-down

I do see that a lot of posts on this topic seem to refer to iPhones so I don't know if Android phones are any different. My phone is Android.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:15 PM   #67
Winnebago Owner

Yea, it seems to be the way the web sight software works. No difference in email, all the data gets transmitted either way. No big deal.

Last night I kept working towards getting the bad corner cleaned up in preparation for the repairs.

First picture is the floor with the old laminate and plastic sheet removed. They didn't put down the laminate underlayment, just a sheet of plastic to act as a vapor barrier. The problem with that is the laminate slides and can unlock, which is evident in several spots. The good news, the floor is fine, no soft spots. What I was sometime perceiving as soft was just the laminate.

2nd picture is the corner with the first strips of the water damage pulled loose. You can see the original wall covering here as it was in the closet and did not get painted.

3rd picture is how I left it last night. Most of the really bad luan is gone. I will need to make straight lines to work towards so that a new piece will fit in nicely. I have to remove a bit more luan, it seems to come off the foam by pulling a strip and getting behind it with a scraper. I have two new sheets of luan so I need to check the actual thickness as compared to what is there. the luan is called 1/8th, but in reality it is closer to a tenth. If the old stuff was actually near an 8th, then the new might go on top of 1 ply from the old and match pretty well. That would be nice, so it means no way
You can see the aluminium framing now.

4th pic is a closeup of one of the 1x4's that crosses the back, one above and one below the rear window. About one foot of each end is toast and will have to be addressed. Also, they attach to a corner piece of wood that also has rot. I can't get that out until I address the outside which I don't want to do just yet. That outside corner has delamination of course and I will fix it. Since this is in the closet I will probably cut the old 1x4 out and splice in a new piece on each end, replace the luan, then overlap that with an exterior repair to make the new pieces solid. I'll probably use a 1/2 piece of plywood to bridge the two 1x4's, tieing it to the good part of the original and to the new luan. I'm still studying that. I'll address the corner vertical piece when I address the outside.

OK, so, no worse than I thought. The 1x4's are a bit of a surprise just because I didn't know they were there. Nothing really difficult or requiring advanced thinking. Just time consuming dirty work
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	183186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	183187  

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	183188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	183189  

Old 06-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #68
Winnebago Owner

The original queen bed platform was modified by the previous owner and I am going to replace it. My plan is to mount solar equipment under the bed, MPPT charge controller, battery's (lifePO4), and the inverter, probably a Victron Multiplus 2. I need access to all that with reasonable ease. I'm guessing the original plan had storage below the bed with an enclosure and the mattress/platform tilted up for access.

I can build something similar but I'm open to suggestion if anyone has a better idea.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:08 PM   #69
Winnebago Owner

Just a little more work progress. I put the straight lines on each side to remove the bad stuff and get to good stuff, then peeled away the bad.

A couple pics to show how it looks when done. I will still need to clean the surface of residual stuff. Cutting out the bad 1x4's on the back wall still has to be done plus splicing in the new. I've settled on that repair being pretty much as I originally thought. Since this is hidden by the closet I'll splice in the new 1x4's with epoxy, then cover the whole end with the new luan. When that is complete I will cover the area between and over the 1x4's with an additional piece of plywood glued up to the whole area. It will be far stronger than the original. When I fix the outside back I'll replace the vertical corner piece.

If you look closely at the pic showing the close up of the back you can see old veneer of luan to the right (in the picture) that is fairly straight. There is a metal strip hidden under there. I kept trying to deeply score a cut line there until I realized I was hitting metal. The metal strip is glued in as a screw strip for that closet panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	183209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	183210  

Old 06-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #70
Winnebago Master

You are an obvious tool guy ,so let me ask if you have my favorite tool?
When I look at your project, I automatically think of all the trouble I used to have doing those small wood cuts until I got an oscillating tool!
If you've not got one yet, think about it now!

This is one of the best things I've ever found for doing the wierd stuff like cutting a notch in a board without having to take the board out.
Works great for sanding small areas or scaping old caulk off. Anybody with an RV, needs to know how to remove caulk and this makes an hour long job into fun!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Richard, yep I have one and when it's needed it's hard to beat. Battery powered and the battery's last quite a while. I used it here but only a bit. It is indispensable as long as what you're working on is solid. If the work piece vibrates it doesn't work very well...

I may use it to cut the 1x4's but I'll probably use my battery powered circular saw just so I can cut them with a bevel. Gluing up the replacement works better with the bevel cut as there is more glue area. It's not that critical though and I may opt for the easier of the two.

The right tools definitely make the job easier.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #72
Winnebago Master

When you finish will you come finish all the work I need to do on my motorhome?
Old 06-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #73
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
When you finish will you come finish all the work I need to do on my motorhome?
Ha, I have enough stuff to keep me busy the rest of my life I'm afraid. My original motivation for the MH was to pull my race car and have an upgrade to hotels/tents right at the track. And now the car is sitting since between work, the house, the beach house, and now the Winnebago I'm out of time.

I should just retire and eliminate one headache But I actually like working...
Old 06-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #74
Winnebago Master

Do it while you can handle it physically. Age has a way of creeping up on us sooner than we think.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #75
Winnebago Owner

Yea, I thought I'd never make it past 30 due to various activities on the dangerous side. I'm now well past 69... I'm fortunate so far, no medical issues, no problems. It's just luck.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #76
Winnebago Master

I pointed out to my older brother that he is now the oldest known male in history with our last name!

Really made his day! I appear to be the second oldest in the geneology books?
Sometimes it is better to just not look!

But on a different subject? Is there any chance of heat problems with the electronics under the bed? I think of inverters needing air?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #77
Winnebago Owner

"Is there any chance of heat problems with the electronics under the bed?"

Sorry for the late reply. Yes. I plan to ventilate that area with a duct fan working off of a temperature sensor. I plan to have duct exit the back of the coach similar to a dryer vent when the temperature outside is hot. When it's cold the venting will be into the room and be another (small) source of heat.

In cold weather this is an advantage as the electronics heat keeps the LifePO4 batteries warm.

Interesting about names. Logic dictates that your brother is the older one
Old 06-21-2022, 12:53 AM   #78
Winnebago Owner

A couple updates. Almost done with the bedroom corner. Cut the 1x4's out of some western red cedar I had on hand. Pic 1 shows them sitting in place but I have not epoxied them in yet. Just a little more cleanup and that corner will be ready for new luan and paint.

The 3rd really bad area of damage is over the shower. 2nd pic is before the teardown. The interior skylight was hanging down a bit on one side with obvious rot above. Once I got it out the problem was obvious as the outer skylight is cracked and leaking and has been for quite some time. The roof must be prepped and repaired and the outer wall at the top was an issue. I've removed all the rot and just need to get the roof repaired. This thing has been under cover since before I bought it and I brought it home in January, but the roof extending into the hall was still wet. I removed the delaminated layer and the rest has dried out. I'm going to cover that with a 1/4 piece of ply to provide some strength the luan would not. Eventually this whole roof gets replaced so this is a temporary roof fix. it should be fine however. I'm still looking for a new outer skylight, the inner is fine. I thought momentarily about eliminating it, then realized that at my height (6'4) I need the skylight for my head...

I removed the shower base to make room for a complete new luan sheet on the outer wall. The sides are fine. I'll cover the outer wall then add a layer of glass and epoxy. Then paint and it should be good. I'm debating on replacing the base, which has no damage, just discolored, or tiling the floor of it. I found what appears to be a replacement at about $150. A bit high for a piece of plastic...

So, a couple more pics, 3rd showing the ceiling into the hallway with a layer removed and a picture of the shower bottom with the base removed and the plywood platform it sits on removed.

Might be the weekend before I get any more done, but I'm hoping to wrap up the bedroom and shower soon. Then I'll get back to the cabover area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	183279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	183280  

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	183281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	183282  

Old 06-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This issue isn't limited to Winnieowners. Here's an explanation from another site:

https://intercom.help/livelocal/en/a...or-upside-down
All modern cameras put orientation info in the photo’s EXIF info. The EXIF information contains date, time, exposure, orientation and copyright details, etc.

The forum software used here and at hundreds of thousands other forums is pretty old - the owners here have a team of developers working full time to update and modernize it. But new software exists and is much better at handling images. Plans are in the works to switch to this new software in the not too distant future.

Social Knowledge, the company that owns this and about 30 other forums has so much custom development in this software that the task of converting to newer software is greatly magnified and not a simple task at all.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #80
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm debating on replacing the base, which has no damage, just discolored, or tiling the floor of it. I found what appears to be a replacement at about $150. A bit high for a piece of plastic...
I've never tried this but have read about the process below for restoring discolored plastic in RVs on several different forums. Here's a video, plus a link (see post 12):

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ta-362504.html

I Googled "rv plastic trim peroxide uv" and got a lot of similar hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+p...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tags
restoration, winnebago