Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winter camping in 31BHDS in Canada

So it is my intention to essentially live in our trailer for the month of November in southern Alberta. Granted we will be fully plugged in, but I am just not sure if I want to risk putting water in the trailer. Yes it has the extreme climate package and I’d be running the LP full time as necessary. What are the thoughts here? Am I begging for a freeze up if I put water in the tanks? Or am I underestimating the resilience of the trailer. Lows will be -10C for sure that’s 14F. Highs may be just above freezing. I am also considering running a small Electric space heater in the underbelly cavity full time.

Fire away!
Walkthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The one thing that hangs out, black/gray drainpipe is the one thing that would not be heated. i’m almost sure that those pipes may split at those temps if they’re not protected. if you insulate those the rest should be good as the furnace has a heater hose going to the basement tanks as far as I know.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
The one thing that hangs out, black/gray drainpipe is the one thing that would not be heated. i’m almost sure that those pipes may split at those temps if they’re not protected. if you insulate those the rest should be good as the furnace has a heater hose going to the basement tanks as far as I know.
Yeah so the pipes do extend below the bottom covering but the valves are situated up in the heated area and they have cable actuated valves that pull through the frame. So I'm not to worried about those pipes. I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to wing it and see how it goes. put the space heater in there as back up and be rady to winterize at the first indication of freezing problems within the coach or externally in the underbelly.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthisway View Post
be rady to winterize at the first indication of freezing problems within the coach or externally in the underbelly.
The biggest threat are pipes within outside walls that have inadequate protection from direct cold temps. Under belly pipes that hang down into free air are certainly an issue - but not a hidden one and not one that requires a lot of searching to find.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good point and thanks. May have to leave some cupboards open at night to make sure there's airflow and warmth in there. I've also noticed that the water lines in my unit are not traditional pex they look more like flexible hose. granted the elbows are still rigid but I assume the soft hose has some degree of expansion room (stretch) to accommodate a freeze. I don't want to test that, but I wonder if Winnebago made that decision because of freezing.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthisway View Post
So it is my intention to essentially live in our trailer for the month of November in southern Alberta. Granted we will be fully plugged in, but I am just not sure if I want to risk putting water in the trailer. Yes it has the extreme climate package and I’d be running the LP full time as necessary. What are the thoughts here? Am I begging for a freeze up if I put water in the tanks? Or am I underestimating the resilience of the trailer. Lows will be -10C for sure that’s 14F. Highs may be just above freezing. I am also considering running a small Electric space heater in the underbelly cavity full time.

Fire away!
IF the trailer is not going to be moving for any of the time...merely find a local farmer and buy square hay bails. You'll need two, one on top of another all around the bottom of your trailer..to stop wind moving underneath the chassis. That will do it...and have a ceramic MicroFurnace that blows 1,500 to 5,000 watts of heat and the size of a 6 inch cube. They cost pennies a day to run at 1,500 watts, and will keep your interior snug as a bug.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

I was about to say I would seriously consider blanking off the underbelly of the unit with 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood; similar idea that Sun_Seeker offered with the hay bales, and I'd be tempted to wrap whatever pipe sI could get at with foil backed insulation.
I agree with the thought of keeping a small space heater going continuously. Much more efficient and a whole lot quieter than your built in propane furnace.
Other suggestions for winter living;
Invest in a good electric heated water hose to ensure your input water line doesn't freeze up, dump some potable antifreeze into your black and grey tanks after each tank empty.
Line the interiors of your windows with some foil insulation, cut pieces for your roof vents, but remember to remove them to exhaust steam and vapours out of the unit when cooking and showers - moisture control is very important
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote