Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypbk1 View Post
We picked our 171DB up a month ago, finally got to take it out to the Texas Motor speedway over the weekend for the IndyCars. Have to say, it was really enjoyable.
Great choice- We just camped in ours for the 2nd time up at Pismo Beach here in CA and it was even better than the first time. I think I slept better in the trailer than I do at home!

Drug it through the sandy beach and parked it for some offroad truck time too.. Loaded up and washed her down. Good as new!
Itsthex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

That sounds like a lot of fun, we plan on taking ours down to Galveston sometime this summer. We have a lot of plans for it!
Luckypbk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaldrop View Post
I was told typical WD and sway hitch cannot be installed on my Hike? True?

1701DB
2021 Tundra
Mine has one on it and works great.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I am looking into upgrading to a 200 lithium battery and add another solar panel to the roof.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Congrats on your purchase!

You're going to get a lot of different replies on this topic. I'll give you my one minute, 2 cent opinion for what it's worth.

There are a lot of variables involved to tow safely, not just capacity. Tongue weight, total weight (GVWR), payload, etc... Full size or mid-size vehicle? Are you running with Type E (10 ply) tires? Do you have a brake controller?

Curt has a pretty good FYI
https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity

Personally, I've chosen not to install one as I plan to go off the beaten path. I've carefully considered and and have adhered to all of the recommended weights, capacities and configurations. I've taken it to CAT scales multiple times to tweak distribution and loads. I do not use a cargo carrier and do not exceed speed limits. My rig is level and tows easy.

Note that this is my situation and is in no way is a recommendation. You need to do what is best for you.

Here's the towing forum if you care to research here.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f258/

Good luck!
I am looking into upgrading to a 200 lithium battery and add another solar panel to the roof.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Cover for Hike 171DB

Good day,
I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a good cover that will fit my new 171DB. I have been looking on Amazon but figured i would reach out and see if anyone had a good review on one.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypbk1 View Post
Good day,
I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a good cover that will fit my new 171DB. I have been looking on Amazon but figured i would reach out and see if anyone had a good review on one.
I think you’ll find a majority of RVers say NO to a cover for their rig, but not everyone. Do some searching on www.irv2.com for a wide range of opinions on covers.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think you’ll find a majority of RVers say NO to a cover for their rig, but not everyone. Do some searching on www.irv2.com for a wide range of opinions on covers.
Thank you for the reply, I will research the reasons why not too. I am new to the camper life so still learning.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

New 17 db Hike...where is the solar charge panel...I am embarrassed to say I cannot find it?
Ron Waldrop
rwaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
New 17 db Hike...where is the solar charge panel...I am embarrassed to say I cannot find it?
Ron Waldrop
Hey Ron, on my Micro Minnie it's in the front passthrough storage on the passenger side. Poke your head in and look around the edge of the passthrough access. Don't know for sure, but I would think they might wire the Hikes the same way.
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Bingo that’s where it’s at thank you so much. Now if I could just get the heater to work. The circuitboard for the water heater was dead on arrival had to have it replaced and they fixed a short in the heater but I still can’t get the heater to work. It seems like a weird mechanism a tiny little black switch that you barely move at the top and then the thermostat did you move over but I get no action so it still doesn’t work. Nonetheless thanks for your help
Old 06-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerdog View Post
Hi everybody new question, just finished shake down cruise and checked water heater before leaving the house. Got to park and setup, water heater still working on electrical.(i think) The next day it stopped working check the gas and it would not start. Called Winni direct told me to take it in to service dept. Just wondering if this might be a quick fix thingy that i can take care of, service dept. is 6 weeks backed up. Anybody have this happen to them?
Thanks
Same here with brand new Hike...wired badly at factory...had to have water heater board replaced...you can do it yourself if very electric savvy..not me
Old 06-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Bingo that’s where it’s at thank you so much. Now if I could just get the heater to work. The circuitboard for the water heater was dead on arrival had to have it replaced and they fixed a short in the heater but I still can’t get the heater to work. It seems like a weird mechanism a tiny little black switch that you barely move at the top and then the thermostat did you move over but I get no action so it still doesn’t work. Nonetheless thanks for your help
No problem. Glad to help.

The Micro Minnie Facebook group has chatted a bunch about that water heater issue. If you're on FB, join the group. There may be a Hike-specific group too, but the MM group is probably more active just based on number of units sold.

People replace the WH board with this one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0130Y8I1K...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Foothills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I was told typical WD and sway hitch cannot be installed on my Hike? True?

1701DB
2021 Tundra
I was told the same when I bought mine. In fact I paid for it and the dealer checked with Winnebago and was told it wasn't designed for it. They took it off the bill of course. My tows great
mattyh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Water heater problem fixed

Hi all
Was playing around with my water heater overheat fuse. Bypassed and still no hot water. Removed the fuse inspected it no problems so plug back in and heater worked for one cycle. Looked at system noticed fuse was installed right over burner chamber. Moved off to the side and Eureka the system started working so I have no problems with my water heater anymore just move the fuse away from the flame chamber and everything works.
Just an update
Peace
Woof
Dyerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #56
Winnebago Watcher

Hike 170s purchase

Hello!
Picked up our Hike 170s last Tuesday and am glad to report no issues at all on a two night camp trip in the Black Hills. The Anderson no sway hitch worked great on our way home even in 20+ mph winds. Have not used the heater yet so will see about that later.
I will continue to update as we use it more this summer....
Pungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Did you modify your front storage box to install the Anderson leveler/anti sway system? I'm looking to purchase one but don't know if it will fit. If you can please post some pics.
Thanks Woof
Old 06-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #58
Winnebago Watcher

Anderson hitch

Hello,
As part of my purchase agreement, the seller installed the Anderson hitch. I took the attached pics that I hope will give you a good idea on how it’s installed. Yes, it is up tight to the toolbox without touching it. Let me know if you need more photos.
P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9837F97C-3EB3-4197-9FD7-5D1F5A8ECB14.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	179634   Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD085C7-6129-4D02-A6CA-A03E171F2A55.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	179635  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BC0824D-8CB6-43B7-ABA7-605254632EBC.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	179636   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CF7FCAA-2EEE-46AF-8F23-EBC745E665B3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	179637  

Pungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Pungi Pics are awesome, thanks. I was trying to found out if I could shorten the chain links. Thanks again. Now I can purchase one for my Hike.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #60
Winnebago Master

If you don't need the weight distribution feature or cannot use a WDH on your vehicle due to unibody construction, a standard frictional anti-sway bar is a great alternative to damp any side-to-side motions. It's cheap and you can adjust the amount of friction as needed.