Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago SPYDER...anyone own? Thoughts?

Having buyer's remorse on our Micro Minnie 2306BHS as we thought we could live without taking our toys with us or having to use 2 vehicles(one to tow the atvs) so we are thinking about getting a toyhauler.
Anyone own a Winnebago Spyder? If so, any thoughts or advice about them? Good stuff, bad stuff, etc...
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Going to bump this up, I dont own one but am also interested. Would get the one with the couch slide for more seating in the kitchen area.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I was going to say make sure your tow vehicle can haul it--toyhaulers have some odd weights, particularly when unloaded.

But then I read your signature. For tow vehicle I think you're good!
Old 05-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

New Spyder Owner

I have only had mine for about a month but it is what I searched for for about a year looking for something smaller but yet an upgrade from my old Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP. I'm very happy with bedroom and the layout, although I still don't think my bike and golf cart will fit together. The nicer bathroom and shower plus the seperate Master sold my wife in the 24FQ. I can see how the kitchen slide would help interior space, but I had heard that there were some problems with water lines coming off when slid out. Mine is no slides and I'm ok with interior space. Still will sleep 6, with Happyjack system. The black colored ones like mine do need some regular maintenance to keep gelcoat looking good. I purchased mine in Tampa and brought back to NC. I have spent last 2 weeks between rain showers buffing gelcoat and applying wax. This is a yearly must at minimum to keep it from turning grey. Overall very happy with it. Taking it camping next weekend at local state park to make sure all systems are go. I'll try to post an update after I've spent a weekend in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200529_144111.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	173702  
NCSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I just bought a 2021 29STT. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with Winnebago's quality on these. It seems like they let the bean counters cut corners starting in 2020. The previous similar model (28SC) looks much nicer, with better components all around.

Unfortunately, my unit was delivered with inoperable plumbing so I had a $50k tent essentially. It's back at the dealer now for warranty work...

I do like the floorplan, all things considered, but depending on the solution the service center comes up with I might just give them back the keys and count my losses. Should have probably gone Grand Design...
Chingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Purchased a 2020 Spyder FS back in Feb. So far been pleased. The normal annoying things needed to be taken care of but the quality seems good. We moved up from an 18' hybrid toy hauler. The only thing we're having an issue with is the rig sits really high off the ground and getting a motorcycle loaded is pretty sketchy. The ramp is steep with no beavertail. We purchase an aluminum ramp from Harbor Freight to help but it's still not the best solution. Something to consider if loading motorcycles.
MoreJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Spent a 3 day weekend in it at a local lake, very happy so far, with the bigger grey and black tanks had no problem with 3 adults taking showers and all that without filling tanks. Still trying to locate the fresh water drain for my on board tank but overall the build quality and AC are good to go. Last week I was talking to a coworker and he also bought a used Spyder 24fq for the same reasons I did, good bathroom, boondocking capability, on board gen set and party deck. He fit a can am side by side and a atv in his for his first outing.
NCSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just going to bump this thread...any new comments anyone can add? We are really close to possibly pulling the trigger on 23FS Spyder.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey rackman...we've had our Spyder 23FS for almost a year and we still love it. It's at the dealer for it's final few warranty items before the Winnebago warranty ends next month. We've had very minor repairs needed. Our last outing after Thanksgiving we noticed a small leak on the bedroom floor above the water heater. We needed to use our water pump instead of being connected to city water so it could be a loose fitting. We have no regrets or complaints. We have a 2010 Ford F250 and we can feel the RV s little bit, but it doesn't push us along and stops great. Your 3500 should glide along. Are you planning to haul toys? Keep in mind the ramp is pretty steep if you're planning to load baggers.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJourneys View Post
Hey rackman...we've had our Spyder 23FS for almost a year and we still love it. It's at the dealer for it's final few warranty items before the Winnebago warranty ends next month. We've had very minor repairs needed. Our last outing after Thanksgiving we noticed a small leak on the bedroom floor above the water heater. We needed to use our water pump instead of being connected to city water so it could be a loose fitting. We have no regrets or complaints. We have a 2010 Ford F250 and we can feel the RV s little bit, but it doesn't push us along and stops great. Your 3500 should glide along. Are you planning to haul toys? Keep in mind the ramp is pretty steep if you're planning to load baggers.
Thanks for the response MoreJourneys. What's a "bagger". We plan to haul 2 ATVs. We always camp offgrid so we will be using the water pump and all the tanks. It's nice to read a positive review from an owner...there are a few really bad reviews online that make me worried, but at the same time, having owned trailers for the past 11 years I know that build quality and craftmanship is pretty much the same for all brands and models. So, I am not expecting perfection or not to have some problems as that is unfortunately reality with buying/owning an RV. Should not be the case when you spend this kind of money but what can you do?...Anyway, I think we are going to go for it, the dealership has the unit on sale right now for a good price. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

bagger is a term for touring bikes (harley's) with huge saddle bags, harley davidson Ultra and or Honda Goldwings... plenty more but now you get a mental picture
Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We did our homework before buying. We were ready to pull the trigger on a Grand Design Momentum 21G, which was a little shorter, had the 3-season wall (which I loved!), and the ramp not as steep, but we weren't excited about the queen bed and the price was about $10K more.

I hear ya about the quality and the negative stuff out there about all the RV's. Our experience has been positive with the dealership and with Winnebago. We store our RV inside and the facility is also an authorized Winnebago dealer (not for towables) so if we needed something done they would do it. We paid the dealer for repairs and were reimbursed from Winnebago. For us it's been easy. Our RV is currently at the dealership for it's last warranty trip and they'll end up having our rig for almost a month. I think this is where the manufacturers get the negative comments. You make an appointment and the rig just sits in line. Our expectations were set when we dropped the RV off so I'm ok with the wait. We bought an extended warranty from Wholesale Warranties so we won't be tied to the dealership after the Winnebago warranty ends. Our indoor storage facility can do the work between our outings.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Spyder!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJourneys View Post
We did our homework before buying. We were ready to pull the trigger on a Grand Design Momentum 21G, which was a little shorter, had the 3-season wall (which I loved!), and the ramp not as steep, but we weren't excited about the queen bed and the price was about $10K more.

I hear ya about the quality and the negative stuff out there about all the RV's. Our experience has been positive with the dealership and with Winnebago. We store our RV inside and the facility is also an authorized Winnebago dealer (not for towables) so if we needed something done they would do it. We paid the dealer for repairs and were reimbursed from Winnebago. For us it's been easy. Our RV is currently at the dealership for it's last warranty trip and they'll end up having our rig for almost a month. I think this is where the manufacturers get the negative comments. You make an appointment and the rig just sits in line. Our expectations were set when we dropped the RV off so I'm ok with the wait. We bought an extended warranty from Wholesale Warranties so we won't be tied to the dealership after the Winnebago warranty ends. Our indoor storage facility can do the work between our outings.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Spyder!
Thanks again MoreJourneys...yes I research Grand Design as well, but like you said, substantially more expensive...and actually questionable if they are any better build quality/craftmanship wise. They are owned by Winnebago or vise-versa and just like almost all other brands, there are plenty of negative comments online regarding Grand Design. I guess, bottomline, at least I am mechanically inclined and can fix a lot and as seasoned owners of trailers we know not to get our hopes too high lol. But the main reason we are looking at the Spyder is because it's size(not to long), features and capabilities are pretty much perfect for my wife and I and one child bringing a friend along and being able to fit 2 atvs! Hope we can make this deal happen.

Tags
winnebago