Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago on lists of travel trailers to avoid

I've been in the market for a new travel trailer but being a cautious person I've been doing some research. I was sold on Winnebago until I did a google search on travel trailers to avoid. Guess what Winnebago came up on every list as a trailer to avoid. I've always thought Winnebago was a good quality trailer but now have some doubts. In the 90's I owned a Jayco 5th wheel and it was a great camper; not one problem in 8 years. I sold for a good return on my money. But Jayco is also on all the lists of trailers to avoid. Does one have to buy a Lance, Oliver or an Airstream to get good quality?
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2020 2108 TB micro mini. Love it. 1 year and going strong
goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I noticed that too, but I've grown tired of best/worst lists that may or may not have any basis behind them. "We interviewed 100 random folks at campgrounds and this is what they said..."

After reading the Airstream forum for a bit it was obvious they suffer many of the same foibles. It seems issues are even more infuriating when you've spent 100K to get a "quality" trailer.

I had a Grand Design Reflection 28BH fifth-wheel previously... spending time on their forum yields the same. Most folks are pretty happy after maybe one or two issues fixed, some (like me) never have an issue, and a few poor folks end up with a list of issues a page or two long. I will say that Grand Design is quite good at working with people to sort their problems.

I'm still a bit on the fence... drawn in by the size, floorplan, and dual axles of the 2108TB. If Grand Design had a competitor (I think they will within a year or two), I'd probably go there first.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I guess if you want a new travel trailer bad enough you will take a risk and hope for the best. I guess I do not want one that bad. It would be a real downer for me to spend a considerable sum of money for a bunch of problems. I'm thinking maybe a good used one is the way to go; if such can be found. The RV industry needs to clean up their act but they will not until sales start to slip and that is not happening at this time. Good luck Backtrack15 with your on order 2108TB.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

I have a 2020 2306BHS and it has had quite a few problems, but the dealer will fix the problems under warranty and after that I will fix them with the help of the people here. I bought my Micro Minnie for the same reason most people do, the 7 Foot width makes it a easy and great towing travel trailer. I enjoy mine. I believe Airstream is now make by Winniebago.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The list I'm familiar with is Consumer Reports putting the Chevy Colorado on the most unreliable list. As is typical with CR, they don't have a clue what they are talking about, nor did they divulge a reason why they gave the rating. But it was most likely the problems with the new 8 speed transmission that required a fluid change, assuming the torque converter had not been ruined in the process. The thing was though, not only did they not say why, but the problem had been fixed long before they reported it and didn't apply to vehicles manufactured at the time. Also, while it probably applied to most the vehicles (V6's with 8 speeds), it didn't apply to all of them, but again not specified.

Anyway, that just goes to show that the lists can be of limited value, particularly when no reason is given for the rating.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
I've been in the market for a new travel trailer but being a cautious person I've been doing some research. I was sold on Winnebago until I did a google search on travel trailers to avoid. Guess what Winnebago came up on every list as a trailer to avoid. I've always thought Winnebago was a good quality trailer but now have some doubts. In the 90's I owned a Jayco 5th wheel and it was a great camper; not one problem in 8 years. I sold for a good return on my money. But Jayco is also on all the lists of trailers to avoid. Does one have to buy a Lance, Oliver or an Airstream to get good quality?
I have to agree with a lot of your feed-backs...that these lists can be highly biased...

I always suggest you go and LOOK at any model of Winnie T.T.'s you are interested in....and then take the time for a good forensic-style walk through and about...of that on-site dealer unit. If there is ANYTHING that trips your warranted attention, bring that up with the dealer, to fix BEFORE you make purchase. He/she would need to do that anyways, if the complaint is truly warranted. After that...you are good to go. I purchased a used (off the dealer's lot) 2018 Winnie 1706FB that had been traded in by a couple that had purchased it from this same dealer, one year earlier. They (so he said) wanted 5 feet more and a walk around bed. I did my forensic-style 'pain in the butt' going over of that trailer...including an on-my-knee examination of every square inch of the roof, and Dicor sealing etc. I looked for abrasion, I looked for tale-tell signs of water over-flow (none...) in the bathroom, the bathroom cabinet, around the shower stall, around the base of the toilet...under the sink...did the same for the Locker Storage Area...and made my buying decision. It has proved to be a wonderful trailer..to camp with...to tow with...to park upon my own driveway, with. A wonderful camping investment. So...my advice is to go by your OWN instincts....your OWN level of Due Diligence...and forget Manufacturer's to Avoid Lists. Finally, I strongly suggest that you do not ORDER any version or model of what you might want...but only buy off of on-site dealer stock. Many...many of the complaints across this and other forums...has been with purchasers that ordered from the factory...and then upon delivery had a ton of issues... Buy..what you can see/feel/touch/open and close...and either make an offer, or walk away.......and good luck!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Team

[QUOTE=RDP;3869571 I believe Airstream is now make by Winniebago.[/QUOTE]
You are completely mistaken. Airstream is owned by Thor.

Grand Design is owned by Winnebago, perhaps that’s what you meant.

And, Winnebago let’s Grand Design operate totally separate from its other towable production. So GD trailers are not “made by WBGO” they are made by Grand Design.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I have to agree with a lot of your feed-backs...that these lists can be highly biased...

I always suggest you go and LOOK at any model of Winnie T.T.'s you are interested in....and then take the time for a good forensic-style walk through and about...of that on-site dealer unit. If there is ANYTHING that trips your warranted attention, bring that up with the dealer, to fix BEFORE you make purchase.... Finally, I strongly suggest that you do not ORDER any version or model of what you might want...but only buy off of on-site dealer stock. Many...many of the complaints across this and other forums...has been with purchasers that ordered from the factory...and then upon delivery had a ton of issues... Buy..what you can see/feel/touch/open and close...and either make an offer, or walk away.......and good luck!
This is all very solid advice. I'd add that with any new RV from any manufacturer, the purchasing dealer is key unless you plan to tackle all repairs yourself. My "order" is really just first-right-of-refusal on the next silver one the local dealer has ordered for stock. We agreed on a price but no money has changed hands. I'll go check it out once it arrives at the lot. After going through it thoroughly, I'll put down a firm deposit if it looks good.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
Minnie Winnie 26A

Pretty funny. I am considering going from a Winnebago Class C to a trailer. With this in mind I did internet searches of Best Brands available. The first one I came up with said winnebagoe was number two in quality affordable trailers. The next one I read said you should avoid winnebago's at all costs. I consider my Winnebago Class C as a step up from the average RV
Just proves that the internet is full of good information and a ton of misinformation.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for the great feedback.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2019 Minnie Winnie 2108DS last fall and have used it for 3 short trips so far. After researching and comparing and trying to figure out what was important to us (never having RV'd before... that was tough!), we've come to the conclusion that most RV's are somewhat cheaply made - I think mainly to be light, and other than the black tank sensor not working properly already, and both black and grey tank valves working their way open during travel (that's now on the checklist as my husband got flooded with sewage a couple of times!), we're loving ours.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormnLonnie View Post
black and grey tank valves working their way open during travel (that's now on the checklist as my husband got flooded with sewage a couple of times!).
Until you get this problem fixed. Buy one of these and put it on the end of your Dump tube. Then you can connect the hose before opening this secondary valve.

Valterra Waste Valve for RV Black Water Tank - Twist On - 3" Bayonet Hooks to 3" Lug

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-on-valve-27868.html

Old 08-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Lite Five fifth wheel. Bought new in 2013. Seven years and 1000's of miles it has been the most reliable trailer I've owned.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

2019 27rlts

I would be among the group that thinks Winnebago trailers do not live up to the name. This is my 2nd 5th wheel - first was a 2003 Titanium by Glendale - now out of business. I had ZERO problems with that unit and it was solid and very well made.

The Minnie Plus unfortunately is not in the same category. Cheaply made, poorly designed and unreliable. Won't go into details here - too much to list. Suffice to say I would NOT buy another
Fmiclon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a new 2019 Minnie Plus last September and had been on the sales lot for at least 6 months, so there were really no concerns for water leak problems (but we did inspect for them). However, we did have several squawks which included an extremely intermittent wall thermostat, heat circuit board failure and the Jensen radio failed. These are vendor items that Winnebago needs to discuss with their vendors for increased reliability. However, the slide out had a sagging bulb seal on the top center due to missing attachment hardware, lower exterior side wall was not installed properly and opposite siding support failed at the frame. The last trip out to a local state park, the entire forward window shade assembly fell off the wall in the slide out which appeared to have been an installation issue in which all these issues are the factory's fault. Thankfully, we have a great Winnebago Dealership / Service Center nearby and they fixed all the first time under warranty as well as ensuring all the other window shades were installed correctly; fixing those that were not. They also accomplished a "Factory Quality Inspection" to address any further areas we did not find.

Even though we had some problem areas, the main structure appears to be top of the line. We looked at other brands and always came back to Winnebago as the other interior furnishings, sidewalls and structure seemed to be cheaply made (wood frame versus aluminum). As we get close to the 1 year warranty expiration, we're hoping all the initial problem areas have been identified.
Kansas Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE= I believe Airstream is now make by Winniebago.[/QUOTE]

Airstream was bought by Thor from Beatrice Foods in 1979 and, if you follow their forums, Airstreams have problems, too. Friends of ours bought a new Airstream and the bathroom mirror fell off the wall on the way home from the dealer and, more importantly, the bolts holding the coupler to the tongue were all loose. The bottom line is that ALL of them, regardless of price, have problems to one degree or another.
sreckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Most trailers have that problem

Very few Black tank sensors work correctly. It's just SO easy for things to build up and cover the internal sensors.

I had the same problem with Winnebago black and gray tank shutoff blade valves. I keep a small muck bucket that fits under the sewage outlet, wear GOOD gloves, and let the little bit of water in that spout go into the bucket. Then I can dump it down the sewer, and rinse the bucket. Clean hands, and no splashes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormnLonnie View Post
We bought a 2019 Minnie Winnie 2108DS last fall and have used it for 3 short trips so far. After researching and comparing and trying to figure out what was important to us (never having RV'd before... that was tough!), we've come to the conclusion that most RV's are somewhat cheaply made - I think mainly to be light, and other than the black tank sensor not working properly already, and both black and grey tank valves working their way open during travel (that's now on the checklist as my husband got flooded with sewage a couple of times!), we're loving ours.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago's are good trailers

I think the issues with any travel trailers this year is all the new users. RV's and trailers are flying off the lot right now with everyone needing to get away but not by air or motels. So they run out and get an RV or trailer.

That is the problem they are not life long RV users and many have never even gone camping. My wife and I have been camping for almost 50 years. We have had everything from tents to our current Micro Minnie. We understand the issues with campers. We have had almost no issues but we read about all the new people with their "issues"

It is all about new users and people who have super high expectations that nothing can go wrong. But with any equipment, stuff will happen.
dpmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

dpmile is correct but on top of that the RV Industry Association has been reporting record sales of RVs since 2016-

https://www.rvia.org/business-indicators

RV constructors have been building them as fast as they can to keep up with the demand and quality has suffered. Although RVIA has remained silent on that claim.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, winnebago