Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What is your RV tire jack setup?

I'm in the process of putting my trailer on a diet, ditching weight anywhere I can. I'm currently toting around a 6000lb bottle jack/stand combo that weighs in at 22lbs. That thing has to go. I'm sure there are easier options out there that will conserve weight.

I'm thinking of just getting a med-weight jack stand and seeing if my Tow Vehicles jack will do the job of lifting up under the leaf spring enough to change a tire?

So what is your flat-tire tool set? Anybody else just using their tow vehicles jack for dual roles?
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I used the front jack plus one of the rear stabilizer jacks to change tires on my lightweight 16' T/T. I realize putting that much load on a stabilizer jack isn't good, so a jack stand would be better. But it needs to be positioned far back to get enough leverage to lift the tire.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My son in law has a set up forget what they are called bt can be used to raise one axel and or level when parking. A semi circular wedge. Pull on one and the other axle will raise off the ground.

https://www.google.com/search?client...railer+leveler
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don’t carry a jack for the trailer. As long as you have two axles, you can pull the good tire forward onto an Anderson-type elliptical leveler until the other axle is off the ground. amazon sells an Anderson knock off for half the price. If you have a MM, the axles are too close together to use the elliptical unless you cut off about 1.5 inches from the ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8B3D9A7-8D8E-414E-BEE3-F1A872A01286.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	178420  
Old 04-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Team

When I had TTs I carried a 3000 lb hydraulic bottle jack and I'd position it under a leaf spring hanger plate that was welded to the axle.

In 12-years I had 6 flat tires. Make that in 10-years because after I switched to E-Rated 10 ply Tires in year 10 I never had another flat. The TT came with C-Rated 6 ply tires. When one blew I had it replaced at Discount Tire with the same size and rating. At that time they sold me a warranty on all the other tires for something like $20 each. So, everytime a tire blew I just took it back to Discount Tire (all over the place while on trips) and got a free replacement. Thing was, they kept replacing them with the exact same tire.

Finally, I just bought 4-new, larger sized, higher rated Tires with more plies and the carnage was stopped. I was kidding myself thinking flats weren't that bad because the replacements were free. Wrong. Tires always blew on 100 degree days in bad traffic. Sometimes doing other damage in the process.

Oh, and also, I knew the max tire pressure on the tire said 80 PSI. But being stubborn I figured 65 PSI was more than enough. Wrong again.

The first 10 years of RVing I had to learn a lot of difficult lessons and I did so slowly.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ah, but you did learn. Many don't.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I don’t carry a jack for the trailer. As long as you have two axles, you can pull the good tire forward onto an Anderson-type elliptical leveler until the other axle is off the ground. amazon sells an Anderson knock off for half the price. If you have a MM, the axles are too close together to use the elliptical unless you cut off about 1.5 inches from the ends.
This is true for the torsion axles (Micro Minnies and Hikes). Spring axles with load equalizers ( bigger Winnebago trailers) don’t normally lift off the ground so easily.

On my previous trailer, I used an all-in-one hydraulic jack/jack-stand combination unit and a short section of 3” pipe (cut in half, lengthwise) as a cradle between the jack and the axle. You aren’t supposed to lift using the axle, but I did... as close to the wheel as possible. It was a heavy/bulky solution.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have two 2x8s which I use for leveling. With a dual axle torsion axle set up, that is enough height to change a tire. Lumber isn't cheap right now, but you can cut it to what you need. Just cut a 45 deg bevel to make it easier to drive up and down. Then you have a dual use set up, for leveling and jacking. If you have a single axle or elliptical or u shaped springs, you will probably need a jack.

Jonathan
90mtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I only recently purchased my 1700BH Trailer but my plan was just to use the jack from my F150. I can get the height I need with 2x4s. Works for my boat, so figured it should work with the camper.
Dnalyr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The best solution for tire changes on dual axle trailers I have found is the metal ramp sold by tractor supply.

You pull the good tire up onto the ramp and it cradles the tire in one spot while you change the tire on the other axle.

If the ramp does not have quite enough lift, you can put a 2x4 or similar wooden block underneath it. It's an easy way to lift the flat tire. I should have taken a photo of the tire in a lifted position but these photos at least show what the ramp looks like and how to position it to change a rear tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailerramp1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	178538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailerramp2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	178539  

Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
The best solution for tire changes on dual axle trailers I have found is the metal ramp sold by tractor supply.

You pull the good tire up onto the ramp and it cradles the tire in one spot while you change the tire on the other axle.

If the ramp does not have quite enough lift, you can put a 2x4 or similar wooden block underneath it. It's an easy way to lift the flat tire. I should have taken a photo of the tire in a lifted position but these photos at least show what the ramp looks like and how to position it to change a rear tire.

Unfortunately that won't work on my rig as the axles are spaced further apart than what you show in the pic. I learned that the hard way after purchasing a Trailer-Aid ramp only to find out the second axle will just drop to the floor.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jacking point for dual torsion axle

Where should I position a jack on my dual torsion axle 1808FBS Minnie Winnie? I see lots of warnings not to jack under the axle tube but nothing to describe where I should put the jack. I'm thinking I could jack under the spindle end of the torsion arm but it's rounded and I'm not sure that is the best place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winnie tortion arm.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	178557  
DnDcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnDcamp View Post
Where should I position a jack on my dual torsion axle 1808FBS Minnie Winnie? I see lots of warnings not to jack under the axle tube but nothing to describe where I should put the jack. I'm thinking I could jack under the spindle end of the torsion arm but it's rounded and I'm not sure that is the best place.
On my 2106DS, I jack on the frame rail behind the rear axle mounts. This is based on what Winnebago recommends when lifting Micro Minnies to adjust axle height, see attached. Additionally, this keeps the jack away from the propane line that runs along the front frame rail on the passenger side.

If I need to change a tire along the road, I carry a Trailer-Aid-Plus ramp, this has enough lift for my dual torsion axles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winnebago Micro Axle Lift 0-01-2018.pdf (408.9 KB, 172 views)
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Fred. I especially appreciated the heads up on the op gas line.
DnDcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnDcamp View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed reply Fred. I especially appreciated the heads up on the op gas line.
Your welcome.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote