Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wet TT need suggestions

It been raining and I’m having to leave to get home. What would you suggest I do about putting the cover on my new micro Minnie?
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Maggie, your TT should not need covering. Very few owners cover their RVs. It’s up to you and how you feel about it. But covering is totally optional and can even cause other problems.

Of course, if you have a known leak somewhere that would be different, but I’m assuming you don’t have any leaks.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No leaks that I know of. It’s new and I thought covering it would keep it from fading Etc. It will be left on family property and there are some trees around. I was thinking the protection would be a good idea. Could you tell me what types of problems might occur by covering it. I have the cover but could return it . Thanks very much for your quick response. I’ve postponed my leaving by a day.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Team

The most common issue is when the wind, rain and snow blow the cover around and 1) wear the fiberglass at contact points and 2) trap moisture under the cover which causes oxidation and is bad for metal parts.

Covers are a mixed bag. New RVers think (and are told by sellers) "I must cover this investment." But go to any RV storage lot and look at the number of covered and the number of uncovered. It's probably 10 uncovered to 1 covered.

Also, covers tend to last only 1 to 3 years before ripping to shreds.

Do a search on "Covers" on www.irv2.com. You'll find a variety of opinions on the subject there.

If the tress on the property are likely to drip sap in the spring on the TT roof, then you may want to cover it as that could be bad.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I left my 2108DS outside in the rain, ice and snow all winter last year and didn't see any fading or other issues. Now that was only one year (so far) but I really doubt it'll hurt yours at all either. I'd leave it without the cover and it'll be fine. It was built to be outdoors.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you to everyone that responded. I decided to take Your advice and not cover it. So I’ll be returning to cover and I know that my TT will be just fine. I’m so glad I found you folks. Thanks again
Old 10-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

1 or 2 years in the sun and you won't notice fading. However after 10-15 years you will notice quite a fit of fading. However that may take 2-4 new covers as they will wear out.

Note that you don't want to put a cover over a wet RV. The cover will trap the water and mildew will start growing. While the covers do "breath" to let out some minor moisture out, they are not intended for covering a wet RV.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. That’s what I was concerned about. Mildew. I decided not to cover it. I’m good with that.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
Thank you. That’s what I was concerned about. Mildew. I decided not to cover it. I’m good with that.
Good decision, especially in FL. Plus, they're a pain to put on and take off.

I bought a car cover once and used it for less than a month.

Enjoy your new TT. It's to be used and enjoyed, not to be kept in perfect condition.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your vote. My TT is stored in SC. And I. Sure it will be just fine. Happy trails! I
Old 10-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm in the camp of covering it. It really depends where you live though. I live in Miami where the sun is brutal and will deteriorate and fade your RV quicker than you can blink. Covering the 30' RV is not an easy job, but something I deem as essential to keep the UV rays away.

Buying a quality cover with vents was key and even more important was buying one with a 4-year warranty. The covers I'm using from Classic Accessories are very nice, but last just about a year in our intense UV rays. I'm on my 3rd cover, 2 replaced under warranty and still have over a year and half left in warranty and fully expect to get another.

Point being, I have a 5 year old camper that people constantly mistake for new. More importantly I know the UV rays are staying off my roofing material, rubber seals, and vinyl decals which will help to extend the life of these delicate things.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'm a new owner and concerned about this too. I think I have decided against a cover, but will try to apply a high-quality UV protecting finish a couple times each year.
johneed is offline   Reply With Quote