Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

waterless traps under sink & shower

I am a new owner of a new Micro Minnie 2108TB travel trailer. I am in the process of winterizing using the "blow out the lines" method. However, I have read that typically part of this process is to still pour a little anti-freeze down the P-traps to keeps any water that may remain from freezing. However, this trailer has "waterless" traps under the sink & shower. I take it that step is probably unnecessary?

Thanks for any help,
--Tralerrat
TrailerRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That’s news to me.if I look under my kitchen sink and bathroom sink, there are p-traps under them just like a stick and bricks. Haven’t looked under the shower pan. Water absolutely collect in the traps, and will freeze , damaging the “u” part of the trap, and possibly the ScreW connectorS. That’s why it’s adviseable to pour two cups of pink down the all three drains, after you’ve blown out the lines. One gallon of pink lasts me three years. Those who live in extremely cold climates, like Minnesota should probably suck some pink into their line through the winterizing hose on the pump. It will take two gallons to fill the lines. But it does no good if you don’t blow the lines first because pink become totally useless if it’s mixed with water.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I only see the waterless traps under the shower where the height makes the space a problem. They are designed to drain fully but for me, I still would pour a bit of pink in them when I have it in hand and pouring it in the sink and lavatory traps!

In my mind it comes down to risk/reward question of how much work do I want to do to make sure I don't have to do a monster amount of work to fix what I missed! I would rather pour a tub full of pink to avoid spending tons of time figuring out how to fix even one pipe!

I put the pink in the system and make sure it runs to all points as it will drive the water in front as it moves through, then to feel better and save pink, I then blow it out and catch it is the jugs to store for next time. In this way, if the pink mixes with a bit of water, it is not going to freeze and I have less nights thinking if I got it ALL out!

Making sure to let the shower hose drain fully and laying it down in the floor is one which we tend to almost forget!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Nice Rich,
I never thought of doing that.
Recapturing the pink from low point drains is pure genius
But, then again, it never gets cold in Texas, does it?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I try to avoid admitting I live in Texas and I leave as often as possible!

I miss seeing green things and it really gets me down to have to mow grass at Christmas!
But I also have to admit that one of my better moves was selling the property on Anna Maria Island. I'm guessing it's a mess...

There are no perfect places to live and if there is someplace that's close, there will already be too many people there, so we might as well live where we wind up!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Feel for you Rich,
We are refugees from Southern California. Here in NC now, it’s refreshing to be able to grow things without worrying about water, and be able to drive somewhere without millions of other cars going where you’re going.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

pic of waterless trap

So you could see what I was talking about, I have attached a picture of the waterless trap under the kitchen sink. The sink in the bathroom has the same thing, and there is the same "notice" near the floor by the shower. I have never heard of these.

I don't have a problem putting anti-freeze down the drain, it just seems it is just going to go straight to the gray tank.

One more question: Do you recommend putting a little anti-freeze in the toilet bowl? Doesn't seem right to leave the toilet seal dry.

Thx for any help,
--TrailerRat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterless trap.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	184494  
Old 10-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I pour about a gallon in the sinks and shower drain, and another in the toilet. It's not just for the p-traps, even more important is to protect the holding tank drain valves and seals. Close the toilet flush valve in time to leave a cup or two in the bowl as well. There's no reason to "dewinterize" the tanks, the AF will come out the first time you dump them.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don’t really understand why they went to waterless traps. My 2021 has the old school traps. They serve two purposes.
1. To catch things before they go into the sewer (like diamonds and such), and
2. to prevent odors from wafting up through the plumbing.

But I guess it sure does make winterizing easier.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Marine359 - I agree 100%! I think I'd rather have P-traps.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I don’t really understand why they went to waterless traps. My 2021 has the old school traps. They serve two purposes.
1. To catch things before they go into the sewer (like diamonds and such), and
2. to prevent odors from wafting up through the plumbing.

But I guess it sure does make winterizing easier.
They may have gone to the waterless traps because
1. the plumbing is a little less complicated so a tiny amount of labor savings.
2. an air admittance valve is not required so that cost is saved even though the waterless trap is more expensive than a p-trap. Although with the large quantities that Winnebago purchases, they probably get them for a pretty good price. I see a lot of complaints about smelly air admittance valves.
3. takes up less space under the cabinet.
4. to pay for your expensive Winnebago you have to hock your diamonds anyway so no danger of losing them down the drain.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #12
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerRat View Post
So you could see what I was talking about, I have attached a picture of the waterless trap under the kitchen sink. The sink in the bathroom has the same thing, and there is the same "notice" near the floor by the shower. I have never heard of these.

I don't have a problem putting anti-freeze down the drain, it just seems it is just going to go straight to the gray tank.

One more question: Do you recommend putting a little anti-freeze in the toilet bowl? Doesn't seem right to leave the toilet seal dry.

Thx for any help,
--TrailerRat
Consider that if the anti-freeze goes straight to the grey tank - so has any water. I have the exact same trap under my shower. I do not treat it with anti-freeze and never had any issues. There is no harm in putting a swig of anti-freeze in the drain though. See attachment on the Uniguard

On the toilet, I pour a 1/4 cup of cooking oil into the toilet after the last flush of anti-freeze through the toilet flush valve. I just leave the cooking oil sitting on the flush valve. The 1/4 cup is just enough to cover most of the seal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Waterless trap UniGuardBrochure.pdf (1.29 MB, 64 views)

Tags
shower, water