Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water pressure reg opinions

I’m staying long term in Florida using the city hookup. I was frustrated with the camco 45 lb regulator flow and bought a 55 lb regulator and was much happier with the results. My owners manual says to use 60 lbs max so I thought I was fine. My success was short lived when I was sitting in my chair outside and water came shooting out the water tank overflow. I had my first experience with the common problem I didn’t know about with the pump allowing water into the tank. I went right back to the 45 lb one and the problem disappeared. Since then I’ve been using the fresh water tank but out of laziness I’d rather use city water. Does anyone else have issues with using higher pressure or is there something I need to fix? Any thoughts or opinions is appreciated.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is a winterization valve between the pump and the freshwater tank that you could close to prevent filling the tank via back-flow through the pump while on city water (on the Micro Minnie anyway).

Doing so is not without risk, as I’m not 100% certain the strainer basket on the pump suction is designed for the pump discharge pressure. If you do this, I’d keep an eye on it.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

pj48009, there is a check-valve on your water pump that is supposed to prevent city water pressure from causing water to flow back through your pump into your fresh water tank. It sounds like that check-valve may be weak since it allowed city water to backflow at the higher pressure of 55 psi but apparently worked ok at 45 psi. I think those valves are fairly easy to clean and/or replace. There are a bunch of videos online about how to do it. Good luck!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Using a lower pressure regulator may help if your water pump’s check valve is weak or dirty but the problem isn’t the regulator.

There are a couple of easy fixes for city water filling your fresh water tank.

1. Clean or rebuild or replace the water pump’s check valve.
2. Add a new external check valve on the inlet side of your pump.

I would guess that even with the 45 psi regulator your water pump’s check valve will eventually “leak” water into your fresh water tank.

I had this issue and first cleaned the check valve, about a 10-min job. When it happened again a few months later I rebuilt the valve and it’s been fine ever since. It’s a super simple job.

One other thing, I have an adjustable water pressure regulator and I keep it at 60 psi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S77STRM...d_i=B07S77STRM
Old 01-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok thanks all. I’ll dig into it later and see about the check valve. Seems like there’s always something new to learn. ��
I also wonder if it was a temporary hiccup. My wife tells me that the last time we used the fresh water tank the pump ran a bit with now water in it when the tank emptied. It won’t hurt to check the valve in the meantime.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Feel like an optimist this morning?
One idea is that there may have been some temporary "gunk" like water deposits on the check valve that left it leaking and then when used more, it may have cleared itself? I do a lot of tropical fish and sticking check valves is almost "normal" in my extreme hard water area. But they do often clear if I "exercise " them a bit.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I believe you’re correct. I used the fresh water tank the last couple days and just recooked up the 55 lb regulator and so far no leaks. Probably between running dry and not used that much it got some gunk in the valve. I think going forward when I’m somewhere long term I’ll use the fresh water tank. That will allow an easy shut off when I leave by turning off the switch. When I’m traveling though it’s easier to use city water for an overnight stay. I still intend to look at the pump and clean it. The problem with using the tank for an overnight stay reminds me of a fellow campers story of opening the drain valve before he got on the highway and watching people behind him turning on their wipers and ignoring the honks from cars. Makes me laugh and wonder how many have done that. I guess if I use city water it’s not that hard to shut off the valve outside but it’s easier to remember to turn off the switch as I walk out the door.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Site Team

I have found this issue to be intermittent on the past two RVs I've owned.

My previous Forest River Class C (ugh!) had the issue much more than my WGBO.

When I rebuilt the check valve I found really tiny grains of dirt or something were the issue. And by tiny I mean a speck or two of fine sand.

I was also told by others to not use the pump at all when on city water. There were times when we were at parks with low pressure that we'd use the pump in conjunction with city water to help increase flow rates.

I say that but once on IRV2 I advised someone about the above info and was immediately told by dozens of other RVs that they run the pump with city water all the time... for years... without nary an issue. So, I could have been told wrong by someone.

But for good measure, I do not ever run the pump when connected to city water. YMMV.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I fixed my problem by running the pump a couple days with the fresh water tank. It may have been stuck open after getting air in the line. If it happens again I’ll try closing the bypass valve for winterizing and see if that works. Frankly my plans to dry camp are few and far between. It’s not that hard to re open it if need be. It might be a bad plan, but it’s a plan. Thanks everyone.

Tags
water