Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water leaking again on repaired slide, does your slide leak in driving rain?

After paying Lazy Days in Tampa over $3k to fix a leak and wood repair I found out this weekend during a driving rain that it still leaks. My 27 RBDS is dual opposing slides, one slide has a topper, the other which has the kitchen does not as it's under the awning. Knowing that rain and wind is coming I can't leave the awning open at risk of damage, not even a few feet. If there is any slight bias back towards the camper rain must hit the slide then run back towards the camper, hit some lip and I assume run to the sides and down.

I'm going to call Lazy Days here in a bit, but it's huge cost and inconvenience to travel 250 miles each way for this. At this point, I'm wondering if it can even be fixed at all? Is it unrealistic expectation to expect the slides to be 100% waterproof?

When they did the repair last time they put all new rubber seals and bulbs, but still it's running down the side and comes in dripping at the inner right corner of the slide into the camper. I can see the point of entry by peeking behind where the slide comes in at the floor but cannot tell exactly what is failing or allowing the water to come in.

Those with slides what are your experiences with rain storms? Especially if you end up with a bias leaning towards the camper, water come in?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well I have been lucky I guess. All slides have toppers and have been in some heavy wind driven rain and no leaks yet. Maybe if you lean the rig a little off of level toward the slide that is leaking it might help, not a fix but until you can get it looked at that would be an option. Just a thought.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had meant to make sure from now on to have a slight bias to the side that would have water running away, but after leveling, putting down the jacks and opening up somehow it ended up the other way.

Now that I'm reading my repair bill I see the warranty is up, which really is a bummer. Not sure if I want to take it back to them.

If I could fit a topper on this slide out and still have the awning clear it when it opens that would be an option to help for sure.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The slide under the awning does have a toper. So you might want to look into that. Ask a good awning person. Sorry to hear the Warranty is up bummer. Maybe a local repair shop could help with a better warranty.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Before we added a topper to our slide we never had a problem with heavy rains leaking inside our slide. Even when level our slide roof has a slight slope away from the trailer. I don't know if the roof slope is built in or caused by sag from they way those things are attached. I also lower the slide side a touch just to be sure.

Could it be poorly sealed trim or window. I know the corner trim pieces on our 2106FBS slide weren't sealed so water could have infiltrated there if I hadn't sealed them myself. Also on a previous trailer we had a window that only leaked in heavy rains. It turned out the rubber seal around the window was cut correctly allowing water into the corner. In addition the joint where the ends of the window frame met on the bottom was not sealed correctly either. The two together resulted in water not going out the weep holes but into the trailer wall coming out from behind a piece of trim.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

With the slide in, run you fingers along the seal and see if they may have not put enough adhesive or if there is a gap. I had a slide leak and the Mfg and run the gasket from both sides and met in the middle at the top. Well it didn't meet and there was a 1 inch gap. I bought some auto-foam and layered it into the gap and the leak has stopped.

Another aspect could be that the slide is slightly out of adjustment and is not cinching the gasket to the frame when it is extended.

Motorhome, TT, 5er, these slides all seal the same way.

Don't confuse the wiper seal on the outside with the gasket that is flush with inside framework.

Anyhow, that's my two cents worth.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm with Wayne, the seals probably art making ends meet, check carefully first.
Jim Black, MSGT USAF re IDA (CICHOUSE) 2003 ADVENTURER
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
I had meant to make sure from now on to have a slight bias to the side that would have water running away, but after leveling, putting down the jacks and opening up somehow it ended up the other way.

Now that I'm reading my repair bill I see the warranty is up, which really is a bummer. Not sure if I want to take it back to them.

If I could fit a topper on this slide out and still have the awning clear it when it opens that would be an option to help for sure.

Your idea about the topper is not quite right. It is more of a sun shade and debris stopper. Water will collect on your slide roof in any case. You could have bad caulking on the roof edges. I had to build a dam out of foam rope (I just can't remember the proper name at the moment). I found a caulking tube nozzle extension and ran a bead of caulk along the back of the inside trim from the roof. Then I stuck the foam rope into it. It wasn't easy but it did the job. I had to go under the top seal to do the work. Best done under cover or on a cloudy day.

I had another coach with a roof leak that the dealer in WA botched. Went to Winnebago in Forest City and they did the correct fix and billed the dealer that didn't fix what they charged me for.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Following this thread. Our LR slide leaks in the bottom corners, the front being the worst, regardless of whether the slide is in or out. DH tilts the MH a tad and this helps; I've learned to keep a kitchen towel there to absorb the water. I think the water gets on the rails and travels in that way, I've also got clear vinyl that I tape over the rail; it helps but doesn't stop it completely.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have had on and off issues with water seeping in. My 2011 40U Journey has 4 slides and I never had issues with the small rear ones, but did with both sides of the front ones. I am in Florida now and we recently had several big storms. Several weeks ago I had a small leak on the drivers side and after inspection, never did see anything on the slide, but I did get a digital level and saw that even though the coach showed it was level, it was off a bit and leaning toward the coach. I leveled it manually, but as it did not rain again for test. 2 weeks later we went through a another big rain, leveled with the auto level and checked with the digital level and the drivers side did not leak (yeah!), but the passenger side now leaked (boo). The day after I checked both sides and did find a number of very small holes and patched with "Tenacious Tape". The holes seemed to be caused by branches or such falling on the topper. I also tried sloping the coach to the rear about 1 degree off level. I did not cycle the slides, so they were in the same position. It rained here about 36 hours - no leaks! Not sure if the topper repair fixed it or the slight slope, but I will continue to slope a bit, making sure the side to side is level (based on the digital level) and report in after the next big rain.
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
With the slide in, run you fingers along the seal and see if they may have not put enough adhesive or if there is a gap. I had a slide leak and the Mfg and run the gasket from both sides and met in the middle at the top. Well it didn't meet and there was a 1 inch gap. I bought some auto-foam and layered it into the gap and the leak has stopped.

Another aspect could be that the slide is slightly out of adjustment and is not cinching the gasket to the frame when it is extended.

Motorhome, TT, 5er, these slides all seal the same way.

Don't confuse the wiper seal on the outside with the gasket that is flush with inside framework.

Anyhow, that's my two cents worth.

I really need to get a better look/investigation on what is supposed to be sealing up when open. The leaking is always in the same place. The work I had done recently was replacing all the seals and gaskets and supposedly water tested in their facility. I find it odd it leaks in the same spot every time.

You can see in these pics I took as it was happening it seems to run on down from that corner. There is this plastic triangle-funnel that should be catching water, but the water seems to come from behind it. I'm not aware where I could add any caulking of any type since I don't see the spot of entry. I'm also in the opinion it runs in also on the two metal Schwintek tracks as well as the roof of the slide, then runs down the sides. How it seeps in I don't know.

Since I've been home from our last trip I opened her up with a bias away from the trailer opening and ran a hose, then a sprinkler for an hour and had no water intrusion I saw. But this shouldn't leak no matter and getting work done here in Miami is not the easiest. Frustrating to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3442.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	170946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3443.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	170947  

Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I really need to get a better look/investigation on what is supposed to be sealing up when open. The leaking is always in the same place. The work I had done recently was replacing all the seals and gaskets and supposedly water tested in their facility. I find it odd it leaks in the same spot every time.

You can see in these pics I took as it was happening it seems to run on down from that corner. There is this plastic triangle-funnel that should be catching water, but the water seems to come from behind it. I'm not aware where I could add any caulking of any type since I don't see the spot of entry. I'm also in the opinion it runs in also on the two metal Schwintek tracks as well as the roof of the slide, then runs down the sides. How it seeps in I don't know.

Since I've been home from our last trip I opened her up with a bias away from the trailer opening and ran a hose, then a sprinkler for an hour and had no water intrusion I saw. But this shouldn't leak no matter and getting work done here in Miami is not the easiest. Frustrating to say the least.
I am not seeing enough detail to tell what you are showing. The is a seal leak you suspect?
I had, and at time still do, a leak at the lower corner of the bedroom slide. Left to right tipping was part of the problem. The coach will settle a bit to the opposite side. But the real problem was the way the seals met in the corner. On the outside, the vertical seal overlapped the horizontal seal by a small amount. This caused a funnel type gap at the bottom corner, directly at the wet area inside. I trimmed the seal to allow the water to escape to the outside.

These corners are hard to direct water away from. It takes some fine tuning to make certain that the bottom edge and side wall meeting place is sealing. Each time the slide moves in and out this spot reposition. If the seals are installed properly they work. For the rest of us, we need to be proactive when setting up and inspect and correct the action of the seal. Bummer.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on. Not even sure how the seals are set up on the inside lip area of the slide. It's obvious to see the external bulb seals and flaps, but where it comes together when slide is open I cannot tell.

I should have oriented these pictures vertical. If you click on them I think they do. In the picture with the towel you can see there is some type of plastic triangular funnel that is at the bottom of the bulb seal. The water seems to leach from behind this funnel area, and sometimes dripping off the bottom of the plastic or sometimes down the wall.

I'm not sure where the failure is. If it's a seal not compressing correct, or some gap that needs to be filled with caulking, or if it's an out of alignment slide?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I've read this thread several times and it's not clear to me:

1) If it's leaking when closed or extended, or both.

2) Exactly what your photos are showing. I know it's crystal clear to you but not to us.
There's no context, just a close up of some dripping. I don't know what I'm looking at (what part is the slide, what part is the coach wall, etc.). A photo taken from further back with an arrow pointing to the leak might help with orientation.

3) How high up the drip starts. The leak has to be above that point.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I've read this thread several times and it's not clear to me:

1) If it's leaking when closed or extended, or both.
It's leaking when open, not closed.
2) Exactly what your photos are showing. I know it's crystal clear to you but not to us.
There's no context, just a close up of some dripping. I don't know what I'm looking at (what part is the slide, what part is the coach wall, etc.). A photo taken from further back with an arrow pointing to the leak might help with orientation.
At the office, so can't take another. But the picture is the lower right corner of my slide the houses the kitchen on my model. It's about all you can see, down on your knees peeking behind the wood cabinetry.You are unable to follow it up from the inside to see where it starts, you can only see this one small section. If you bring in the slide more you may see more, but it's no longer up against the coach to see point of entry.

3) How high up the drip starts. The leak has to be above that point.
Unfortunately I can't see where it starts, just were it exits into the coach.
I will try to open it up this weekend and get a better idea of the seals inside. It just seems that in this picture where I highlighted that the water catch funnel there is not doing it's job. It's in this square, at the bottom of the bulb seal. Seems like it was designed to redirect water that runs down the slide side, but the water is coming in behind it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water_leak.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	170954  
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Fastimes,
As stated, with the slide in you can put you fingers around the framework and you will feel the seal. It is nothing more than a rubber compression seal like those used on automobile doors. Run you fingers all along that rubber seal and feel for irregularities.

With the slide out it would be difficult to see that inside seal, especially with the wiper seal blocking the view. The flexible seal that you see on the outside is a "wiper." It clears water off of the side of the slide when retracted.

There is a way to see if the slides are basically in adjustment. Use a tape measure when the slide is extended and see if there is any difference from side to side. Measure top an bottom. They should be really close to equal. If the bottom is out to far it cold cause the top to rocker in and create a gap. Any side that is out further than the other side would cause the side that is in to have a gap. Just explore all the possibilities.

I'm sure you well know that water seeks its own level. There could be a leak somewhere else and it is just feeding to the spot you see. I had a leak coming out of a forward light fixture. It was under the front AC so "assumed" it was the AC. Tech came and tightened the AC screws. Next rain the leak was coming from a fixture further away. After investigation it was more from the second AC. (I have 3). Ended up taking it to a good repair facility, Master Tech RV in Indiana. They found that the seal to the second AC had a gap on the bottom. Replaced and so far so good.

Water leaks are terrible to find.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I will try to open it up this weekend and get a better idea of the seals inside. It just seems that in this picture where I highlighted that the water catch funnel there is not doing it's job. It's in this square, at the bottom of the bulb seal. Seems like it was designed to redirect water that runs down the slide side, but the water is coming in behind it.
With the slide out, do you have a wiper seal on the outside? The inner seal is not enough to stop the water, if I am thinking correctly. TT's may be build differently than MH's. My rig has a wiper seal that diverts the water away from the inside seal. The inside seal acts more like a draft/bug stopper.
You could have a bad caulk job or failed caulking on the roof to wall seams. If you have a window in that slide, check the caulking on it. Finding a water leak is never fun.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Water leaking again on repaired slide, does your slide leak in driving rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
Before we added a topper to our slide we never had a problem with heavy rains leaking inside our slide. Even when level our slide roof has a slight slope away from the trailer. I don't know if the roof slope is built in or caused by sag from they way those things are attached. I also lower the slide side a touch just to be sure.

Could it be poorly sealed trim or window. I know the corner trim pieces on our 2106FBS slide weren't sealed so water could have infiltrated there if I hadn't sealed them myself. Also on a previous trailer we had a window that only leaked in heavy rains. It turned out the rubber seal around the window was cut correctly allowing water into the corner. In addition the joint where the ends of the window frame met on the bottom was not sealed correctly either. The two together resulted in water not going out the weep holes but into the trailer wall coming out from behind a piece of trim.

Old Engineer may have a point, certainly something worth pursuing. I had a 2013 Koala 26 SS Rear Living 30 ft TT for several years.....it had a water leak in-on the right (looking from the tounge) side slide. The slide had a topper. Tried a number of times to address it but to no end when there was driving rain. Took it to an independant RV dealer in Akron Ohio when I moved there. Long story short, turned out to be defective, actually insufficient sealing around the window and all the trim.

The RV dealer spent 2 or 3 days, don't remember exactly, dried it out, did a pressure test, removed all the trim on the slide - (full length slide containing dinette, and couch) resealed all the trim and the window. No more leaks. Cost me a little over $1,800.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

So I finally got around to really looking at the seals on my slideout and I can't believe what I'm seeing after spending so much money and time I realize that I'm missing a seal completely. I really don't understand how this could not have been addressed by Lazy Days, unless there is some reason for not having one at the top?

You can see the track for the bulb seal, but just no bulb seal. The other pictures show the track as well and the other the opposite end of the slide that comes up to that inner trailer wall where the seal should be. There is a slide seal there, but no bulb seal.

I'm really annoyed at this point but not sure if I have any recourse with Lazy Days. I'll try to get some of the bulb seal and install it my self.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3725.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	171565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3722.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	171566  

Name:	IMG_3723.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	171567  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Well, talked to Winnebago and they say this is they way it is supposed to be. Doesn't make much since to me. Sure looks like a track to put a bulb seal. They sent me some pictures of a new slide and it looks pretty much the same, just the sweep seal.

Wondering if I can still put in a bulb seal here since it's leaking still in bad storms?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seal 3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	171568   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	171569  

Tags
leak, repair, slide, water, water leak