Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Man no love for turbos here

I have no complaints on my 3.5 eco.. though you do get eco or boost.. not both. Avg 10-11 towing, though on freeway I've regularly been over 20mpg, and that's doing 75-80.

Tundra is an interesting topic though. News/info I can see is that's it's getting updated for 2022 and from what I read, most likely with a turbo v6 and/or a hybrid. No news/site can't confirm but speculation is they will drop the V8 engine altogether. Apparently the new Land Cruiser details came out today and it has no V8 option, so the speculation is the Tundra is going to go same way, possibly (probably?) using same engine, which amazingly has hp/torque #s more or less same as the F150 3.5.. probably not by coincidence.
COSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I'm tentatively planning to replace my Ford 6.7L diesel with a the new twin-turbo Tundra in a couple of years (when warranty ends). I don't think I could tolerate a naturally aspirated tow vehicle after owning the 6.7L.

I really like my truck (aside from the death wobble issue), and I love many of the Ford features (huge tow mirrors especially). Unfortunately, I've been repeatedly disappointed with the quality of the work done by the technicians at my local Ford dealers (so much so that I now do almost everything myself and pray that nothing really bad breaks), which means I won't be buying another Ford.

I expect Toyota is the best bet for making a durable twin-turbo V6. However, I won't buy another first-year Toyota after what I experienced with my first-year 3rd generation Tacoma. It was mechanically sound, but horrible to drive as they hadn't spent sufficient time programming the automatic to work seamlessly with the engine. It was bad enough that aftermarket shift-controllers were soon available. So I'll be waiting to see the payload numbers on the Tundra (2000 lbs please on a 4x4 crew-cab with options) and what the owners are reporting on the forums.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. I'll just have to see what the 2022 Tundra looks like. I'm in no hurry. I like my 2014 Tundra V8 well enough.
geewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Just drive an F150 with V8 then Ecoboost

The turbo V6 is the higher-torque, lower-RPM engine. Low-effort high performance.

I'm towing a built-up 1808FBS and, separately, my Yamaha wakeboard boat and find my F150 2.7 RCSB is vastly overpowered. 75mph at 9000' elevation turning only 3000rpm with the travel trailer.

My truck is lifted 2", 4x4, with the turbo engine tuned for a 5.0s 0-60 while getting 21mpg average when not towing. The V8 F150 has to spin up to high RPMs for decent performance and needs a supercharger for comparable performance.
skisurfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:18 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Very good info skisurfbum. Thanks.
geewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

I tow my 2100BH with 4 people in the cab by 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 without problem, it has plenty of power even running with 87 gasoline.
For V8 engines, I guess they will be good, too. But I will avoid cylinder deactivation feature engines. My Odyssey's VCM disapointed me.
aslamies is offline   Reply With Quote