Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Using external Propane connection On Minnie 2401rg

I have a 2021 Minnie 2401RG and am wondering about using the external propane connection to run my champion propane Generator. I have been using a external 20lb tank with a regulator. I believe the feed from the trailer is already regulated so it should work with just hooking it directly to the generator? Anyone doing this or have input?

Thanks, Dave
DaveS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't see a problem as long as you've confirmed the external hookup is plumbed in after the regulator (most are). Most people who ask about external connections are asking about hooking up to BBQs and stoves with built-in regulators that require a high pressure connection.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS5 View Post
I have a 2021 Minnie 2401RG and am wondering about using the external propane connection to run my champion propane Generator. I have been using a external 20lb tank with a regulator. I believe the feed from the trailer is already regulated so it should work with just hooking it directly to the generator? Anyone doing this or have input?

Thanks, Dave
You have to buy some parts to modify the Champion provided regulator. I don’t know why they don’t post it on their website, but send them a request and they will email instructions to you. I haven’t done it because once you change the regulator, you can no longer use it with a direct to tank fitting.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Found their email:

Hello James,

We apologize for the unusual wait times below is the information on how this can be achieved. Feel free to email or call us for further assistance.
Hoping you are well. This can be achieved by doing the following:

SOURCE: http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189187
CREDIT: UncleBad

Here are the steps used to create a hose and valve for the Champion 3400-Watt Portable Dual Fuel Inverter Generator.
THE GENERATOR REQUIRES ½ PSI AND A FLOW RATE UP TO 76,000 BTU/HR WHEN UNDER FULL LOAD.

All the parts used can be found in this Amazon list:
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/TXNB1SWETOFC

1 –
Remove the small regulator/LPG tank connector from the large pressure reducing valve, leaving the brass fitting on the large pressure reducing valve.
This leaves you with a 1/8 FPT male connection. You cannot change the length of the existing hose from this component to the generator. It is sized specifically for this valve.
Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_8714.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 263.8 KB
ID: 334986

2 –
Connect a Reducer Coupling 1/4 " FPT X 1/8 " FPT to the male connection on the large pressure reducing valve using yellow propane tape.
This is the hard to find part, its included in the Amazon list below.
Sorry, I didn’t take a picture at this step.

3 –
Connect a 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug using yellow propane tape.

Name: IMG_8717.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 319.3 KB
ID: 334987

4 –
This will create a hose that includes a pressure reducing valve with low pressure propane quick connects on both sides.
Then all you need is a low pressure propane quick connect hose, I chose one that is 12 feet long.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info I supposed Champion was where I should of started. Not sure I want to make the mod but good to have if needed.

Thanks, Dave
DaveS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I guess I misunderstood the OP's post. It seemed to me that he was using a 20lb tank with a standard regulator, which he was going to bypass. I see from Jim's posts that it's more complicated than that.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It's an easy modification to do.And you can take the removed regulator and make an adapter to use with bottles if you need to. I use a 12' gas line extension as well to run from the RV port.

Which Champion do you have? Depending on which generator you use you may have to modify your starting procedures when running on propane off the RV port with an extension. I have 3 champion dual-fuel generators and all behave differently when connected to my RV port. The 3400 w/electric start runs pretty much as normal, and is the easiest to start up with it's electric start. But it's heavy and has been sidelined till I sell it after hurricane season. I now have a 2500w and a 2000w duel fuel as well. Both are pull start.

I just returned from 11 days boondocking in the Smokies and used the 2500w to top off my battery daily and to run the microwave when needed.Were as when connected to a bottle directly it'd take about 6-pre priming pulls before starting, in the Smokies with the elevation and the 12' line it took up to 20. A pain for sure, but the 2500w worked out great and it's small size and weight was exactly what I needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	180324  
Old 07-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’ve got a 2500df. Didn’t bother with the mod because I normally carry an extra 20lb bottle which I can use for backup bottle needed in cold weather. But use the extra tank primarily to feed the genny, which I can place further away from camper. Starting the 2500 is like going to the gym. Takes 12 easy priming pulls or until you feel back pressure on the starter cord. Use quick disconnect with to power Blackstone griddle. Good news is that if you have LiFePo4 you can top off batteries with very little generator run time.

Tags
propane