Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Underbelly grey foam

Does anyone know what the name of the grey expanding foam that is used to fill in gaps in the underbelly of the Minnie? I checked with Camping World but was told to go to Home Depot. I can find many different kinds at HD but not the kind that Winnebago uses. I would think it would have to be waterproof but I can only find water resistant.
Sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have used the HD stuff. It is not gray but it works. There are two types. One is for door frames because it does not expand as much as the insulation one. Water resistant is good enough unless you use your RV as a boat.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply. I had to change a grey water valve and had to break out the factory grey foam and was unsure if I needed to have the exact same stuff. I'll give the HD stuff a try.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd like to say that expanding foam is expanding foam, regardless of color or brand, but it probably should be researched. As mentioned above there two types, the regular stuff and minimal expansion, and there is also a heat resistant version used for cavities requiring fire stop material by building codes. For what its worth, black foam was used on the underside of our 2016 Minnie Winnie.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

suggest using cardboard and masking tape and wear disposable gloves. Thst sticky stuff can get everywhere.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Sanfordja-

Grey: Great Stuff Pond and Stone
Black: Great Stuff Multipurpose

I have used both. They can be hard to find in stores. I have bought online, too.

Have some acetone handy to remove any "oops."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the feedback and links to the 2 different Great Stuff products. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

One thing you can do if you don't like the idea of seeing the beige foam is to paint it. A couple light coats of black spray paint after it is well cured hides it well.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

That is a good idea. I was able to find the GREAT STUFF MULTIPURPOSE BLACK @ ACE HARDWARE.
https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/pr...m-sealant.html
Old 02-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanfordja View Post
That is a good idea. I was able to find the GREAT STUFF MULTIPURPOSE BLACK @ ACE HARDWARE.
https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/pr...m-sealant.html

I'll have to check our Ace for black. When I was giving the underside of our Micro Minnie trailer an inspection this weekend I found a cutout through the floor Winnebago never sealed. Having black foam would save a step of painting.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
I'll have to check our Ace for black. When I was giving the underside of our Micro Minnie trailer an inspection this weekend I found a cutout through the floor Winnebago never sealed. Having black foam would save a step of painting.
It would indeed!!