Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

TV Hookup Quesion Minnie 2455BHS

Hi -
I recently purchased a pre-owned Minnie 2455BHS with a King dish on top. I am trying to make sense of the various ways to get tv (satellite, over the air, park cable, park satellite) and was hoping for help.

1) I have determined that the King dish talks to a Wally. The outlet for that has a button and green light. Any idea why there is a button?

2) There is a coax outlet in the bedroom. What source does that use?

3) There is a coax outlet behind the TV in the kitchen/main room. What source does that use?

4) There is a piece of coax coming from the stereo receiver. What source does that use?

Thanks for the help.
Geetarluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Team

The King "Dish" I assume is a satellite dish. Correct? Not a King OTA antenna - you can find both on an RV. That's why I ask.

The receptacle with the tiny button and green light is the Cable TV/OTA Antenna switch. When the green light is on you are using the OTA Antenna. When it's off it's using the cable TV connection outside the RV somewhere.

Assuming still that the King Dish is a SAT Dish then you need to find where the raw SAT output from the rooftop Dish comes into your RV. That is what needs to feed the Wally. Some RVs will combine the SAT coax connection with the same Cable TV Coax -not in the same coax connection but on the same plastic plate. In that case one coax will be marked SAT and the other coax will be marked Cable. I've attached a photo of what this would look like for you to refer to - maybe look close and see if you see labels like these in the photo

IF you have this kind of setup that little button with the green light only works on the coax marked Cable and would have no effect on the coax marked SAT.

If you posted a photo of your TV coax cables and the plate they are mounted on we could do more than guess.

It's also a guess, but the coax behind each TV should be for Cable and OTA antenna and they should connect to your TVs via another Coax.

The Wally would connect, usually by HDMI directly to the TV. So, the SAT Dish on the roof will come into the RV on the coax marked SAT and that plugs into your Wally's SAT INPUT. Then the only output on the Wally is an HDMI or a Composite or Component (red/white/yellow RCA plugs for Composite or those plus 3 more if it's a Componet) output.

You RV "may" be setup for the Wally's output, but from how you described it I would guess not. So, if not, then you need to run wire(s) from the Wally to the back of the TV.

The Wally doesn't come with a coax output (at least they never did in the past). If you want you can find an adapter that goes from composite cables to a Coax output and connect it to your Cable TV input just like it was a cable signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 4.28.51 PM.png
Views:	163
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	180723  
Old 09-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply! I have attached photos to better illustrate what is going on.

As you’ll see, currently there is a gray cable running to the back of the Wally and the green light on the outlet is “on”. The Wally connects to the TV via HDMI. I did purchase a Wally to replace the one that the previous owners had, but haven’t gotten it registered with Dish yet.

Next to it (as seen in photo) is an outlet with no cable attached. Not sure what gives this outlet signal (over the air, park cable, or park satellite).

There is currently a cable that is running from the receiver to the TV. Again, not sure what gives this outlet signal.

Finally, there is a photo showing the tv in the bedroom with coax from the wall to the tv. Again, not sure what gives this outlet signal.

Hopefully this helps clarify my questions. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6881D531-0947-4B9B-9BEE-28F7354EB377.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	180731   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D15BCB9-9479-450A-BF0B-25D3108CDEF2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	180732  

Name:	FC6A3F55-7FF4-4456-BBA9-F0AD0E7FA20A.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	180733   Click image for larger version

Name:	98AF7E84-763D-4F69-AC79-FD4BF1DFBDC7.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	180734  

Geetarluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry, I can't help you with this any further. It's too outside of my experience. It's totally different than expected.

Wish I could help more, but I've never seen anything like this and all my "guesses" were incorrect.

Can you speak to the original owner?
Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

With a "Toner", it would be easy to trace 'BOTH" end of your coax. Start at the Satellite with the 'toner' and find that 'tone' at the other end of your coax. MARK IT AS SUCH. Try something like this https://www.amazon.com/Extech-TG20-W...936700&sr=8-17

Or something similar. Tone (Find) ALL of your coaxes ends ! Mark them as such!!

Hope this helps.....
Ken Smith
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

W don't get very much help on drawings for trailers, but some guessing on what is "normal" may help. There are often connections for cable that have some coax outside or in a compartment, then there is almost always a connection that can lead to an outside antenna.

That is where the small button on the faceplate and LED often come in as the tiny switch turns on an amp and changes the feed from cable to OTA.

But for coax feeds to the TV, there is often a coax brought from each TV to a "splitter which acts like a tee feeding signal from one source to all the TV.

But what makes things hard is that there are many ways to wire and many folks who change what was first installed! That makes a tone system really handy as you can attach the tone on one coax and go around to each place where you find a coax end and see if the tone shows up there!

One way to maybe cut the chase a small amount is to unscrew the faceplates and pull on the coax wire to see if there might be a splitter right behind the faceplate and "sometimes" you can look/ feel if the wire goes up, down, or sideways as a hint of where it might wind up.

A really super tool is one that you can trace the tone signal, even through the wall, but those also cost a bit more!

A guy using a tracer, may give some ideas:
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My 2018 2455BHS setup

Hello, I also have a 2455BHS and I also had questions about the TV setup, here is what I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarluke View Post
1) I have determined that the King dish talks to a Wally. The outlet for that has a button and green light. Any idea why there is a button?
The green button sends a boost to the antenna on the roof to increase signal. I use this in remote areas as it picks up over the air TV from further distances.

Quote:
2) There is a coax outlet in the bedroom. What source does that use?
The coax in our bedroom uses the antenna on the roof.

Quote:
3) There is a coax outlet behind the TV in the kitchen/main room. What source does that use?
This coax outlet should be going to the "cable" connection which is on the outside of the trailer. Ours I believe is on the non-slide side. If you go to a park like a KOA that has cable, use this connection.

Quote:
4) There is a piece of coax coming from the stereo receiver. What source does that use?
Not sure what this is, I'd have to look at mine and trace it. Where does yours go?
kjlc1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Another way to get tv if the park has decent WiFi is YouTube tv. We subscribe to it and have only one bill that covers us for our home, our summer home, and traveling in the rv. I don’t bother with the park cable anymore. You need a smart tv or a device such as a roku stick and like I said a good WiFi signal.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote