Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trim, moulding staples 2021 Minnie 2528RG

I need to reattach some cabinet panels and mouldings in my 2021 2528RG trailer.
WB says the staples are 1/16 inch...they are tiny. I can't find anything this small. Some of the factory staples are pulling out. I think even the smallest Brad would split the moulding.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Apparently an inside joke in the industry is “they are paid by the staple”.
We had the bottom of cabinet separate, staples missed the framing, I glued and clamped.
So far so good.
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

For me it has always been a case of what I expect to happen in the future.
If this is an item that covers something I feel I may need to get to in the future, I may go back with brads or staples.
But if it is something I will only be going back in a case where removing and tearing up the trim is not a factor, I go some adhesive that I can do without marking the current surface.

Sounds like I would go with glue for the current project and assume it would never be an item to remove and replace later. Places like the panel over the back of the shower are where I feel I might want to remove the trim to get that panel off, I go brad or staples.

The difference is glueholds better but also will tear the trim when removing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
Apparently an inside joke in the industry is “they are paid by the staple”.
We had the bottom of cabinet separate, staples missed the framing, I glued and clamped.
So far so good.
in your FLX? We are seeing a couple cabinet/drawer issues too. should be minor, but what kind of glue did you use? gorilla wood glue?
Old 09-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used a brad nailer in a few places on my 2529RG to tighten up some trim and panels. I think I used 3/4 inch brads with no issues. And as mentioned by others, I wanted to sure I could get back into the areas I worked on - so I didn't use adhesive.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used a power stapler that shoots brads. It says there are 1/2" and 5/8" brads, but all I find are the same 9/16" (must be a supply chain issue!). I think the brads will be fine for all the plywood panels that are missing staples. Not sure about the thin trim where the bedroom cabinets meet the outside walls. I am going to take a look at a "23 guage pneumatic pin nailer" at HF (offers several lengths, but runs off compressor). Would think that small of diameter would be used with glue behind??

Since there are several on this string, how about an unrelated question.... I cannot find the jack for thean external solar panel. Advertisements show it right below the controller, think it may have been on an outside wall on earlier models of 2529RG. I am wondering if we got shorted??? (I'll post this on another thread also).
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I used a brad nailer 9/16 to reattach molding around the bathroom entry. It held for awhile, but popped off again after being in storage for a couple of months. I think it must be changes in humidity that make the molding swell just enough to cause it to pop off. I trimmed about 1/8” off the bottom of the molding, hit ‘em again with the brad nailer. They seem to be holding now.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Putty for nail/screw holes....

Anyone found putty that matches paneling, and walls? We used "Color Putty" on past RVs (and were very happy with results) but would need to mix colors to make that work.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Weakest glue I thing will work.

So typically that means cheap silicon caulk if that did not work I up grade to contact cement. So far silicon has always worked.

Weak so that it is easy to take apart.

If it were critical or safety that's a completely different mater.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If I have to remove a panel for any reason, I generally try to use small screws to reinstall. I figure that I will probably need to get back in there again some time. I made this decision after removing a panel for the second time after I had used a brad gun to reattach the first time. The third time was much easier.
DustyDude is offline   Reply With Quote