Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Traveling with one propane tank with a two-tank cover?

Has anyone ever traveled down the road with only one propane tank under the two-tank cover? I'm thinking of ditching my empty tank since I never have both tanks in use and conserve some tongue weight. Actually I'm going to swap out my 30lb tanks for two 17lb fiberglass tanks, but they're on back order so for now I'm going to try just one 20lb tank. But I'm wondering if the wind will get under that two tank cover and rip it off on down the road if I try? Guess I could maybe bungee it down, but just curious if anyone has tried this before?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't be super concerned about the wind coming underneath as much as I would worry about how to secure the single bottle. Your current two bottle set up probably has a screw down mount that attaches to both bottles. If you can keep the propane bottle from falling out, you should be fine.

Jonathan
90mtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes it will blow off
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Has anyone ever traveled down the road with only one propane tank under the two-tank cover? I'm thinking of ditching my empty tank since I never have both tanks in use and conserve some tongue weight. Actually I'm going to swap out my 30lb tanks for two 17lb fiberglass tanks, but they're on back order so for now I'm going to try just one 20lb tank. But I'm wondering if the wind will get under that two tank cover and rip it off on down the road if I try? Guess I could maybe bungee it down, but just curious if anyone has tried this before?
I can suggest an easy fix...just grab a water cooler jug, just like the ones that come with Colligan home water dispensers (that size) ....and strap that down into the non-propane space. It will weigh nothing, and will act as a missing tank 'spacer'. Good to go....
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The elephant in the room is the removal of the weight of the bottle from the tongue. The need to keep weight balance cast to the front of a trailer; to prevent the unit from swaying is well documented. And the leverage of the weight at the back bumper, or tongue of a trailer are greatly amplified compared to even a few feet closer to the center fulcrum point. Don't be surprised if in removal of tongue weight, your trailer becomes more inclined to pendulum behind you.
I suspect that is why in this same month's publication, when a man replaced his two lead acid batteries with a single lighter lithium one, he moved his spare tire to the tongue.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't see one tank versus two making a weight imbalance issue, plenty of people ride with just one tank on their rig. The reduction of weight I agree, and actually I did a bunch of moving weight around besides the tank reduction and then went to a scale and found I am too light now on the tongue. I will shift the heavy weight back to the forward storage and will re-weigh to get to the ideal 10%-12% of my rig's weight.

The one tank solution will probably stay for now. That weight savings will allow me to not go over my ideal tongue weight when trailer is loaded for trip.I'm still planning on putting two fiberglass tanks in the spot, but apparently they aren't being made at this time and nobody has stock.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
I suspect that is why in this same month's publication, when a man replaced his two lead acid batteries with a single lighter lithium one, he moved his spare tire to the tongue.
That is exactly correct.

Tags
propane, tank, travel