Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Travel trailer Tire Super Thread

This thread is specifically for WBO travel trailers and directed at OEM tires, manufacturers, dealers, replacements (including prices), recommended load / speed ratings, pressure (hot or cold) and overall experiences. I attempted to search for the info I needed for my specific application but there were/are too many variables.

To my chagrin (after the purchase of my TT), I discovered that RV manufactures for the most part, will configure their products with the cheapest components. This includes tires, batteries and overall construction materials.

Tires are in a category by themselves and IMO the single most important component on your towing vehicle and especially your trailer. My trailer came with Trail Guide tires and after some research, discovered that these are economy tires made in SE Asia (mine in Vietnam) and not even rated for a trailer! Tirerack.com whom I've been using for years, doesn't even list them on their site. However, I was able to find them ONLY here: https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/trail-guide-tires# .

After reading @Creativepart's experience with blowouts, I knew these needed to be replaced.

Sample of trailer rated tire (credit: Creativepart)
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...SAAEgIAb_D_BwE

Per recommendations and reviews here, I've decided to go with American made GOODYEAR ENDURANCE - ST225 /75 R15 117N E1 BSW. With a $100 Instant saving (until April 22, 2021) Discount Tire Direct has them for $423 (not including tax and installation). Note that I went to https://discounttiredirect.com NOT https://discounttire.com

Although I only have 5000 miles on the Trail Guide's, they are gone and will probably be able to sell them on Craigslist for $200. The GY's don't look as cool (not All Terrain), but the piece of mind will be priceless.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What pressure are you going to run on the Endurance tires? I’m a bit concerned 80 psi will pummel our little trailers.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I ask the above because Goodyear does provide load tables for the Endurance tires, so you can theoretically select an inflation level below 80 psi. The conventional wisdom, however, is that you should always run trailer tires at max pressure to keep the tires from flexing/heating as much. The Micro Minnies have historically been pretty stiffly sprung (twin 3700 lb axles) and in many ways, the Trail Guide tires (44 psi?) served as the primary suspension. I'm worried that at 80 psi you'd hit a bump and find that the framing under your fridge had collapsed, or the unit had generally been shaken to bits during your drive. But... I've always been a worrier.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My recently purchased MM came equipped with Westlake all terrains with 50psi CIF. I’m a bit worried that there are dangerous Chinese tires. We plan to travel about 10,000 miles this year, and I’m wondering whether I should replace them now or try and get one year out of them. There are some good reviews on Westlake, one saying that Westlake are the best of the worst. But this review is disconcerting: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...anies-to-avoid. Would like to know your feelings about when to replace.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
My recently purchased MM came equipped with Westlake all terrains with 50psi CIF. I’m a bit worried that there are dangerous Chinese tires. We plan to travel about 10,000 miles this year, and I’m wondering whether I should replace them now or try and get one year out of them. There are some good reviews on Westlake, one saying that Westlake are the best of the worst. But this review is disconcerting: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...anies-to-avoid. Would like to know your feelings about when to replace.
The Forest River Geo Pro trailers have been using the "D" rated version of our Westlake tires for a couple of years now. I cannot find any issues on their owner's forum (other than a lot of worry). We have "C" rated tires and I'm not aware of any usage history, so I share your apprehension. I feel a bit torn between the Endurance "beat me to death" option and the Michelin Defender LTX "non-ST, you're a fool" option. I'll likely keep the Westlakes and hope for the best. They certainly have more capacity than needed for our trailers. My total axle weight (loaded, both axles) is 4080. Each axle has 4680 worth of tire capacity. So, they may be cheap (actually quite expensive on eTrailer) but they are certainly not running near their stated limits.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just replaced my five Westlake 205/75 R14 with Goodyear Endurance a week ago. The Westlakes had a manufacture date of 10/15. I never had any problems with them. I did keep them covered when not camping and always took five minutes and checked the pressures and lug nut torque each and every time before towing anywhere. Also, I always ran my Westlakes at max air pressure which was 50 lbs.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
What pressure are you going to run on the Endurance tires? I’m a bit concerned 80 psi will pummel our little trailers.
That is/was my primary concern also. I recently swapped out the tires on my truck with slightly oversized, 1/2 worn Falken Wildpeak AT's 6 ply (non-LT's) for Pirelli Scorpion AT 10 ply. The local installer said I could run 65 in the front and 75 in the rear to cushion the ride. Maybe it was new, quality rubber that contributed to it, but the ride is the smoothest and quietest it's been since I've owned it (20 years).

To answer your question, I'll probably plan to run then @70 psi and see how it goes!
Old 04-21-2021, 04:19 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly Jim. I never gave the stock tires a second thought until I started researching and reading about Chinese tires. Throw in the non-trailer crap WBO outfitted these rigs with and IMO, it's a recipe for disaster. It would only take a single blowout for me to regret not replacing them knowing what I do now.

I can sell these nearly new tires for $250 on Craigslist which will offset this upgrade (and piece of mind) for $200. A bargain IMO.

Wow, a 10k mile trip, sounds fantastic! Where are you going if I may ask?

This summer, I'm taking my 8 y/o grandson on a 2 week trip to Outer Banks, NC and then up to Virginia to drop him off at Dad's. Most Precious Cargo.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We just got back from a trip to central Florida. A trip to Arlington National for a burial and visit dearly departed, and one to the outer banks next month. Late summer to Cape Cod, Maine and possibly PEI and Newfoundland if Canada opens border. Then back to Florida in January. I’ll risk staying with the Westlakes until then, being vigilant about keeping them at 50psi.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Go by the ply ratings. Cs are 6 ply and therefore should never be driven at full freeway speed. The Trailer King brand is also common and seems to be fine if not driven over 65 mph. Yes they are not made in the USA which seems to be a must have for most here so I will not get into the politics of it, other than it is getting harder to ascertain whether or not tires made off shore are decent in quality. However there are decent tires that are imported that should pose no greater risk if not abused and properly inspected and driven at all times.

I urge all owners to consider the fact that most travel trailers do not have suspensions designed for rough use and there is no real shock absorption except if you have a rubber axle setup or have added shocks. Spring axles are just that and will just make the trailer bounce more than rubber suspensions causing load shocks. Trailer tires need to be stiff for very good reasons because they are on suspensions that have a different tracking profile while cornering. The side wall flex on trailer tires is less and the transfer of lateral forces to the axle is greater so fast cornering is dangerous as hell with underinflated trailer tires.

Buy the higher ply and load rated tire with at least a 20 to 30 percent loading safety margin over the gross weight that you can carry and drive sensibly ignoring the high speed ratings of all trailer tires regardless if they are genuine 'merican products and your tires should never give you troubles.

In short, slow down during tight cornering, don't hit curbs and if you do stop and check the tires, do regular running gear checks and drive the way a pro transport driver should and avoid the Smokey and the Bandit bull crap and your rig will thank you as will your wife and kids!
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Westlakes came on my 2015 Ultralite from the factory. I purchased the trailer in 2018 and the tires had 80% tread. Never had an issue with them, put plenty of miles on them, and was always mindful of tire pressures and visual inspections.

Replaced them last year with Goodyear Endurance tires only because the Westlakes were now 5 years old. Had they not been, I would have let them go another 5k miles easy. Am I happy I'm running Goodyears now, yes. Was I concerned with the so called "China bombs" I had before? Only a little because of what you read on the forums. But they held up just fine.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post

Replaced them last year with Goodyear Endurance tires only because the Westlakes were now 5 years old. Had they not been, I would have let them go another 5k miles easy. Am I happy I'm running Goodyears now, yes. Was I concerned with the so called "China bombs" I had before? Only a little because of what you read on the forums. But they held up just fine.
Thanks for your post. How heavy is your rig? Did you notice a ride difference from C to E rated tires?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRoll View Post
Thanks for your post. How heavy is your rig? Did you notice a ride difference from C to E rated tires?

My rig is about 7400lbs. I put on GY Endurance 6-ply D rated tires. I notice no difference in the way it feels. Just that I air them up 10 more PSI than before. So far so good.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:42 AM   #14

That your tire where from Vietnam, not automatically make them bad.

I live in the Netherlands Europe, and here many lightweigt TT ( 1000kg to 2200kg , 4400lbs to 4800 lbs) provided with up to 1800kg single axle .
In earlyer days cheap tires here got a bad name because of the 10% rule. Is normal car tyres uses ( P- tires) and max speed 100kmph/62mph alliwed 10% more maxload, and then often yust enaugh to cover the MTA ( GAWR) included the 10%.

But still normal car tires are sometimes used but then XL .
I changed my tires , when I bought a second hand TT years ago from 195/70R 14 91T on a 1300kg/ 2860 lbs TT is 615kg/ 1360 lbs times2 is 2720 lbs +10%= 2992lbs with that old 10% rule, to 185R14 C 102/100 R , wich is LT with even 30% reserve.
Even official institutes wrote that 30% is exegarated, but I calculated with my pigheaded system 3,8 bar is 55 psi on that 8pr/ D- load tire ( AT 65 psi), to give maximum reserve without bumping.

And that is what is written here already, that you dont need the full 80 psi in your case.

But looking in american lists gives to low pressure, even if you first add 10% .
Better use my made calculator, in wich I add 11% to axleload and calculate pressure with an extra safe formula, that leads to higher pressures.

So to make my long story short, that they where no ST tires , is no problem to laws of nature.
As long as maxload is enaugh to cover GAWR with a comfortable reserve, it OK, but the maxload must be given for 99mph , ST maxload is mostly given for 65mph, even if N speedrated is given.

European alternative for ST is " for trailer use only" , N speedrated and realy calculated in maxload for 140kmph/87mph. M
My 185R 14 102R was calculated for 160kmph/99mph, and also in ' FTUO" IN 104N.
If now I calc for someone with that sise in 104N , I substract first 2 LI steps before I trow it in my spreadsheet. When ST , I even substract 6LI steps, to give max pressure without bumping, so max reserve.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I ask the above because Goodyear does provide load tables for the Endurance tires, so you can theoretically select an inflation level below 80 psi. The conventional wisdom, however, is that you should always run trailer tires at max pressure to keep the tires from flexing/heating as much. The Micro Minnies have historically been pretty stiffly sprung (twin 3700 lb axles) and in many ways, the Trail Guide tires (44 psi?) served as the primary suspension. I'm worried that at 80 psi you'd hit a bump and find that the framing under your fridge had collapsed, or the unit had generally been shaken to bits during your drive. But... I've always been a worrier.

If the TrailGuide tires say 44 psi then they are NOT ST type tires but are P type.

I wish people would pay attention to details like this when trying to compare tires. It almost like saying I bought a Ford to tow my trailer but not saying if it is a F350 Dually or a Mustang GT.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
My rig is about 7400lbs. I put on GY Endurance 6-ply D rated tires. I notice no difference in the way it feels. Just that I air them up 10 more PSI than before. So far so good.

Suggest you get on a truck scale and learn the actual load on each axle of the traailer when it is fully loaded.
Guessing is not a good way to prevent tire failures.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

No matter what size, Load Range or brand tire you run you should have a TPMS that you can program the low pressure warning level to the exact PSI (minimum to support the load - 5 psi and no lower)
You should also read THIS post.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If the TrailGuide tires say 44 psi then they are NOT ST type tires but are P type.

I wish people would pay attention to details like this when trying to compare tires. It almost like saying I bought a Ford to tow my trailer but not saying if it is a F350 Dually or a Mustang GT.
Thought that was obvious. Yes, they are absolutely not ST tires and they are original equipment on two or more years of the Micro Minnie trailers.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:25 AM   #19

Answer to above post #18.

I also expected P-tires but are they XL/extraload/reinforced, or even yust Standard load.

SL AT 35/36 psi and XL// AT 41/42 psi, but sometimes 44psi.
If SL they advice above referencepressure cold, wich is not allowed for LT and ST tires anymore, but done for extra safety reserve.
On most P- tires they only give maximum allowed cold pressure of 44 to 51psi, and XL sometimes 60psi.

And howmany axles, or did you give that already? Also GAWR and GVWR?
Can you also give the exact sise and see if XL// on it, also maxload of tire?

Then I can get a better picture of the reserves your OEM tires give.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Suggest you get on a truck scale and learn the actual load on each axle of the traailer when it is fully loaded.
Guessing is not a good way to prevent tire failures.

I have and I'm within my axles rating as well as the trailer and tires ratings. My comment about airing up 10 more psi is because the new Goodyears have a higher PSI then the Westgates that came from the factory.

Tags
travel