Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Transporting Inverter Generator

Hi All
New to the Forum and new to owning a Travel Trailer!

We have just purchased a 2020 Micro Minnie 1700BH and are looking to get an inverter generator for those times where we will not be hooked into the luxurys of an all amenity camp site!

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a couple of questions we have. Firstly, any recommendations for an invertor generator that would handle our AC / Microwave etc... I believe we would need something in the viscinity of 3000watts if we are wanting to use our AC whilst off grid.
Secondly, where do you store your inverter when you are travelling? I'm wary about storing it inside the camper or in the back of our SUV due to gas fumes. That would leave the front tongue or potentially a rack attached to the rear of the camper...

Appreciate any thoughts / answers you may have!

Many thanks in advance

Nick the newbie!
Nicksterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
RVCalypso

Most of the folks I have seen with 5th wheels and travel trailers carry them in the bed of their truck. They can easily be locked up with a chain, have good ventilation, and keeps the weight off the trailer. I own a Yamaha we carry as a backup, however, if I had to buy a new one today I would probably look at the champion with the remote start.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome!

I would look to getting a rack on the back of your camper were the generator could sit.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought a Honda 2200 that doesn’t help you. I keep mine in the bed of the truck which also doesn’t help you. However I don’t transport mine with gas in it. I have a turkey baster that I use to get all the visible gas out with then run it dry. That might help you. Then you could keep it in the back of your SUV.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are generators that will run on LPG, some are dual fuel LPG/Gasoline. There are also conversion kits for Honda generators:

https://genconnexdirect.net/honda_ge...kaAstIEALw_wcB

An LPG generator can be transported inside your trailer.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is one of the areas where there are often really big decisions to be made, depending on what your current situation might have.
Towing with an SUV may mean the load/hauling limits are pretty close to maxed when you get the RV loaded, etc. so adding a few hundred pounds more may not work. In either case, I don't see being able to get the generator in and out of the SUV in a way that would not smell too much or really be a drag to do. Even empty gas tanks smell too much for me to ride near them!
So it can get down to mounting on front and rear, if the load limits are okay. But that does often mean some things need to be considered to get the hitch loading correct as adding a hundred pounds so far forward or at the rear does have the potential to throw the balance off.
Perhaps keep in mind adding one small one at front and one at rear to add the power together to get the amount you want would be an option?
Sorry, not sure I see a really good answer.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Nicksterr,
Welcome to the forum. We found out very quickly that the dealer supplied marine battery was going to make our camping miserable. You won’t be able to dry camp for more than a night with your current setup. So, we’re now in The midst of installing a 170ah LiFePo4 in the pass thru. The original deep cycle on the tongue weighs exactly the same as the Honda eu2200i; 47lbs. If you mount your batt in the pass thru, it frees up the front frame to mount your generator with no change in balance. Not safe to put AGM, or any type of LA in pass thru. We’ve gotten lots of help from folks on the micro Minnie thread. You’ll still need to find a place to mount a gas can.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Hi Nicksterr,
Welcome to the forum. We found out very quickly that the dealer supplied marine battery was going to make our camping miserable. You won’t be able to dry camp for more than a night with your current setup. .
The 1700BH comes standard with a 8 cubic ft. gas/electric refrigerator.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all. Did some research last night. Like the look of the predator 3500 which looks like it would do the job and runs nice and quiet. Only concern would be the weight, especially if we were to mount it on the back. Approx 100 lbs which would need balancing out on the front. Did see a frame mount that can be attached to the front which I may look into. Did think about getting two to run in tandem but twice the maintenance and a mechanic I'm not Decisions decisions!
Nicksterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksterrr View Post
Thanks all. Did some research last night. Like the look of the predator 3500 which looks like it would do the job and runs nice and quiet. Only concern would be the weight, especially if we were to mount it on the back. Approx 100 lbs which would need balancing out on the front. Did see a frame mount that can be attached to the front which I may look into. Did think about getting two to run in tandem but twice the maintenance and a mechanic I'm not Decisions decisions!
The rear bumper will need some reinforcement to support any load. The racks that provide a shelf above your propane tanks/battery might be the best route. Below is an example, but I do not own one.

Stromberg Carlson CC-255 Trailer Tray

For a few dollars more than the predator, you can buy 2 smaller "suitcase" generators like the Champion 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight , and parallel them when you need to. The 40 lb Champion would be easy to get up and down from the shelf. A few trips ago I strained a tendon in my left arm, and when it was time to load them back into the truck, Iwas really glad to have the nice light suitcase style generators.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

First you can dry camp for three days, you just can't run your A/C, furnace or microwave. With our 20' T/T we used 15 amp hours each day from our 80 Ah battery. That was just enough to let us camp for three days without getting the flooded cell, lead acid battery below 50% for best life.

Secondly you probably can get by with a 2,200 watt generator- Honda, Yamaha or Champion. You probably have a 9,000 btu A/C and one of these generators will probably start it. But you can't run the microwave at the same time. Turn the A/C off while you use the microwave.

The generator can be mounted on the A frame in place of the batteries if you move them into the pass through. FWiW I wouldn't worry about a couple of AGM batteries in the pass through. Much cheaper than LiPO batteries and 200 Ah of AGMs would last me for a week.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Add a frame trailer hitch to the rear of the trailer. Use a rack that fits the receiver. Secure with locks and steel cable. I suggest the Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

2106FBS Tray

Custom made tray with lift for generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A29EBE-D0DC-4B6D-905B-6C1C1F284FD2.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	176685  
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Champion Dual Fuel 3400. I run it on propane only. Zero fumes, no gasoline cans, just an extra propane tank.It runs the A/C with no problems, even at 9200' elevation.
przero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just picked up a Preditor 3500, the Powerhouse from Northern tool is the same machine. Great units for the $. More and more of them showing up at the dirt bike tracks. I will be removing my Onan Generator in the spring and mounting this in its place.
Cr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I totally agree.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hi and congratulations on your new Micro Minnie.

I am no pro at generators or actually anything, but I have a Champion Dual Fuel 3400W that is carried in the bed of my pickup. I have a sliding locking cover (Roll-N-Lock) and I chain the generator handle to a rail in the bed. Not foolproof, but not quick to walk off with. I’ve only ever run it with propane and there are no fumes at all.
I don’t know why the photo rotated, but it shows where I carry it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201129_154900164_resize_20.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	176689  
Old 01-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your input Amazon. I was just about to buy a Honda eu2200i, but your generator costs less and runs on propane, AND it can run roof a/c without buying an expensive easystart. Ordered the Champion today. Now just have to figure out how an old guy can heft it’s 97lb weight.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You’re welcome Marine359. It’s been a great generator. I can get it into and out of the truck by myself to run it, but if it was any heavier I would not be able to.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Honda eu3000is

Bought my eu3000is used on craigslist 10 years ago for $750 and converted it to dual-fuel (kit was $200). Have had to use it numerous times for power outages. I have a wagon with large tires to transport, but lifting in and out of the truck single-handedly will definitely be a challenge.

Note that propane only gets 85% efficiency compared to gas, so a 3000W will only give you ~2500W.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200612_171913_01.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	176690  
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter