Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Winnie 30B came with an electrical connector for trailer lights only. It is a 6-pin type (5 in a circle with 1 in the center) and the pins are round. The wiring in the manual just lists connections for lights. What do I do now to get set up for trailer brakes? I know that I need a controller and I have to replace the connector with the standard 7-way plug, but how do I wire it for the brake signal and power? Never done this before, so don't know if I'm even asking the right questions!
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Art,
Try this site. It shows the variety of connectors and how to wire each. You'll find the 6 and 7 pin toward the bottom of the page.
www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Art,

You'll need a 12v wire from the battery, a ground wire, a wire from the brake light switch, and a heavy duty wire to the trailer connector, all terminating at the location you'll be installing your brake controller. Click here for a wiring diagram. These wires may be already there.

At the trailer end you'll have the aforementioned heavy duty wire from the controller and a ground wire in addition to the right and left turn signals and tail lights. These circuits will work in a 6 wire connector configuration and may be already wired by the coach or chassis manufacturer. Take a look for a heavy gauge blue wire, if there your coach may be already wired for towing.

The circuit that'll be missing in a 6 wire connector versus a 7 wire is the back-up lights.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Art,

I installed my brake controller on my 02 Adventurer. All the wires were there starting from the grey connector by the steering column to the BLUE wire neede for the trailer brakes tucked up under the spare in a wiring harness. You just gave to search for them.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks ever so much for all this guidance. I'll do a wiring check on the MH and let you guys know what I find.
Thanks again.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If it is a Ford chassis the wire for your brake controller on the chassis is approx where Ford stopped and Winne added. It should be blue. On the dash end there should be a plug dangling somewhere under the dash which the haress plugs into. I wired mine to the factory 6 (for toad) and used an adapter to go to RV 7 (for trailer)

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hotrod 32! Nice to see you here! Didn't we hash this out once before??? LOL I guess it all worked out and you found the blue wire!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I did and it was only fair that I pass the help on. That being said I have yet to trailer the car anywhere. Hope all is well with you.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well if you've been reading my saga of basement air failure.......otherwise all is well. Hoping to get it back tomorrow and head to middle of Pennsylvania where there's no flooding.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

At least the Harley isn't acting up! Hey I treated myself to noe this year for my 50th. It's only a 1200C but as soon as I get a buyer for the hotrod.... Road King (or similar) here I come.
How's that single axle trailer backing up with MH?

1997 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Trailer is no problem with the camera. The best thing is I can hook it up by watching the monitor with "no outside help" isf you get my drift!

Road King is nice, check out the Heritage Softail. They come with rubber mount engines now.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have the Winnie 30 B as well. I just had a brake controller installed professionally. The installer never could find the factory brake wire - so he ran a separate wire. He even called the factory for help - tech said its there just keep looking.

I have 6 x 12 cargo trailer for my Harley.
I used to own a Road King Classic and now have an Ultra. I dont know why but I find the Ultra easier to ride even though the two bikes are on the same frame. Maybe the Ultra is easier to steer because the seat is about 4 inches closer to the front. Just my nickels worth.