Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trailer plug No Left Turn!!!

I have an '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a WH chassis. This MH has separate amber turn signal bulbs-not connected to the brake light bulb. It requires an electronic adapter to bring the turn & brake lights onto the same wire for the "trailer". There is half-power (6 volts) on the left turn connector at the plug. Before the electronic adapter, I have 12 volts. Both the tail and right turn lights have 12 volts before and after the adapter (I'm not sure if the tail lights go through the adapter). It also seems the brake lights are being affected by this issue. All the MH lights are in good working order.

According to the wiring diagrams for my MH, the Ford chassis does not use the electronic adapter.

Is it possible for the electronic adapter to go bad like this? Can I replace it with an automotive parts store "generic" adaptor? My area has very limited parts resources (i.e. one NAPA parts store in a 20 mile radius). We're heading south on Saturday, and I would like to get the left turn signal (and brake lights) working on the toad before we leave.

Thanks for your quick responses.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Rockwood,
It's quite possible that adapter's gone bad. After all, they're a little "brain" (computer) that translates signals from one system to convert those signals to another signal.

If you go to etrailer.com, and in the upper right corner in the search block, you type in "three wire to two wire adapter", you'll come up with a couple of brands of that adapter. You can have it shipped right to your doorstep. I, in fact, have the exact opposite adapter right behind the left rear tail light of our Honda CRV because the motor home is a combined turn signal/brake light system and my Honda's an amber system. So the need for an adapter was mandatory. Anyway, check out that sight and you can have one in a day or two.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think I have seen them in Walmart in there trailer wiring section.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
I think I have seen them in Walmart in there trailer wiring section.
While it is possible to get them at Walmart and other places like that, just make sure it's the correct one. You see, there's several of those "converter" boxes out there. There's three wire to two wire, there's two wire to three wire, some have the running lights go through the converter and some don't, some have a ground with the converter and some don't so, I'm not advicating NOT to get one at Walmart, just be carefull that it's the correct one.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The device you are describing is usually called a converter, as mentioned by fire up. Hopkins is a well-respected company that makes a number of different converters for different applications. The condition you mentioned is a classic description of an internal converter short and/or meltdown, which makes the thing history. And, unfortunately, it is not at all unusual, especially with the cheaper units.

The main culprit (other than age) that seems to take out converters is amperage overload...too many lights drawing too many total amps for the particular converter's capacity. The things burn out under those conditions. And this is what usually kills the cheaper, lighter converters. It is critical to ensure that the total amperage of the the lights being powered back there do not exceed the converter's maximum amperage rating. If you do, you will be replacing it in pretty short order. Exposure to water, snow, etc., due to faulty or unprotected connections can also take out the converter.

You might want to give the Hopkins tech guys a call...they are very helpful. It will help if you know the total number of lights and the type of lights you are powering so they can estimate your total amp draw. If you like their product offerings, a web search can find the right converter for you at a decent price, but it's unlikely you will have it in time for your trip. Possibly NAPA might have one that will handle your requirements....just dunno'. You might also do a forum search on this subject for additional info and thoughts.

Good luck. If you get a minute, please let us know how you made out....thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised you even have a converter. ALL Workhorse chassised motorhomes don't have separate turn signals. You would think there'd be provisions for both separate and integrated turn signals. I know on the Ford Chassis there are wires for both. A Workhorse wiring diagram is your friend, maybe you can bypass the converter all together.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I'm surprised you even have a converter. ALL Workhorse chassised motorhomes don't have separate turn signals. You would think there'd be provisions for both separate and integrated turn signals. I know on the Ford Chassis there are wires for both. A Workhorse wiring diagram is your friend, maybe you can bypass the converter all together.

In his later years my dad hated left turns. So, 3 rights equaled 1 left
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up Prolem Fixed!

It turned out to be a 2-part problem.

First, the electronic converter was bad, so I went to NAPA and bought a Hoppy 3 to 2 wire converter ($15) and changed out the old one. The pin out on the MH side of the trailer plug showed good voltage when required (tail, stop, left and right lights).

Second...the magnetic mounted lights on the Jeep were not working correctly. My Jeep was set up about 6 years ago with the external magnetic lights. I have a 4-conductor round plug-in (Blue Ox style) at the front of the Jeep, a Blue Ox cable between the Jeep and MH. This was set-up for my old MH at the time and all worked well. Apparently, Blue Ox doesn't use a conventional trailer wiring color code, hence the issue. Once I pinned it all out and moved some wires around on the new 7 pin cable connector for the Blue Ox cable, all is well. All the lights on the mag-mounted lights work as they're supposed to, without cross talk.

Thanks for everyones help, Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
It turned out to be a 2-part problem.

First, the electronic converter was bad, so I went to NAPA and bought a Hoppy 3 to 2 wire converter ($15) and changed out the old one. The pin out on the MH side of the trailer plug showed good voltage when required (tail, stop, left and right lights).

Second...the magnetic mounted lights on the Jeep were not working correctly. My Jeep was set up about 6 years ago with the external magnetic lights. I have a 4-conductor round plug-in (Blue Ox style) at the front of the Jeep, a Blue Ox cable between the Jeep and MH. This was set-up for my old MH at the time and all worked well. Apparently, Blue Ox doesn't use a conventional trailer wiring color code, hence the issue. Once I pinned it all out and moved some wires around on the new 7 pin cable connector for the Blue Ox cable, all is well. All the lights on the mag-mounted lights work as they're supposed to, without cross talk.

Thanks for everyones help, Fran
Hey, that's great!! Glad you got it sorted out in time for your trip. And thanks for taking the time to let us know!