Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TPMS Prep 2108FBS Micro Minnie(2021)

What does the "TPMS prep" mean for the 2021 Micro Minnie? Are there TPMS sensors in the wheels already, or is there a repeater built in, if so what brand is it? What do I need in order to be TPMS finished, other than wheel sensors and TPMS monitor?

Thanks
Bret
bbelsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbelsher View Post
What does the "TPMS prep" mean for the 2021 Micro Minnie? Are there TPMS sensors in the wheels already, or is there a repeater built in, if so what brand is it? What do I need in order to be TPMS finished, other than wheel sensors and TPMS monitor?

Thanks
Bret
To prepare for a TPMS you should have metal stems installed in each wheel. The wheels don't come with sensors built in. This is the TireMinder TPMS that I use and really like it. It does come with a signal booster. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metal stems

Booster mounted in top of propane tank cover

Monitor sitting in console
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks
Bret
This is one that I highly recommend looking/asking very pointed questions and gettting very precise answers from really reliable folks. Like maybe eyeball for yourself!
I'm afraid we are seeing far more "marketing hype" than we might guess as it is no longer a real offence for folks to tell us lies!

TPMS prep might be as lowball as having metal stems or as good as having a specific brand of TPMS equipment installed! But which is it is really an open question as there are lots of different systems, some needing repearers depending on how the signal may need to be processed and how much trouble it has getting from the tires to the monitor you look at in front. It isn't just how far but also things like what metal is in the way can change how the signal travels.
Remember how you can lose a radio signal going through a metal bridge? Works the same for tire pressure signals and it is not always obvious until tried.
Newer cars often have TPMS built in and the sender is inside the tire and one would be hard pressed to spot it.

I would want to have somebody show me what is there and then know what else is needed. It's not much help to have a sender built in the tires only to find you have to spend 2-3 times as much for the other parts than if you added the whole thing from scratch.

Unfortunately there is much less info online for trailers than motorized, so we have little to go on to help and if somebody does come along witht he exact same trailer, one may have options installed that another doesn't, much like when we shop cars. You have to check the exact one you are buying to know for sure what is there.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Richard, I guess Bret didn't like our comments since he never replied.
Ken
Old 01-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Richard, I guess Bret didn't like our comments since he never replied.
Ken
Ken/Richard,

LOL...I appreciate your responses. I am more curious as to what Winnebago's specification/intent of TPMS prep is. If I decide to install TPMS I think I will do internal wheel sensors with a repeater and monitor. Still undecided.

Thanks Again!
Bret
Old 01-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bret, here is Winnebago Customer Service for your answers (574) 825-5250. I never heard of RV trailer wheels with internal sensors. I learn something every day. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ken,

Thanks for the number...thats a big help! As for the internal yes they have them and are a bit proud of them too >
https://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor...kaAhQqEALw_wcB

Bret
Old 01-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

“TPMS prep” sounds odd. I expect they mean they provided wheels and tires.

Unless you’re towing with a Class A or a school bus, I doubt there is any need for a repeater on a Micro Minnie (very short trailer). My external sensor system did fine without a repeater.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ken,

Thanks for the number...thats a big help! As for the internal yes they have them and are a bit proud of them too >
https://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor...kaAhQqEALw_wcB

Bret
Thanks
Old 01-09-2022, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2022 Micro Minnie 2225RL

This is my second Micro Minnie and I have a Tire Minder TPMS. I've found with both trailers I needed the extender to get consistent accurate readings. I'm towing with a Chevy Silverado extended cab. Staying on top of the batteries is also important. Change mine annually when I uncover the trailer and prep it for the road each spring.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The tpms prep is for the docking station installed and pre wired in for the Tire Linc system , requires purchasing a kit and does not use the dock supplied with the kit, uses the dock all ready installed, just ordered a kit for my 2022 2108DS FLX and will order the remote that has an audible sensor and warning light, can also just use the app
Cartex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Cartex1,

By chance do you know where the docking station might be installed within the trailer? I have checked in all the service panel areas and have not run across it.

Thanks
Bret
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Cartex1,

By chance do you know where the docking station might be installed within the trailer? I have checked in all the service panel areas and have not run across it.

Thanks
Bret
Mine is in the pass though above the solar controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TireLinc.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	182767  
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #14
New to this....

I to am curious as to what the TPMS prep means. Mine supposedly has it, but I can find nothing having to do with it.

I have already installed a TPMS system. But I would love to know what them mean by prep... Is it because the installed tires...?
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
I to am curious as to what the TPMS prep means. Mine supposedly has it, but I can find nothing having to do with it.

I have already installed a TPMS system. But I would love to know what them mean by prep... Is it because the installed tires...?
It appears to be just a power docking station for the "tire linc" system. It appears you have to buy the module and tire sensors (didn't come with my trailer anyway). From what I can tell, it links to an app on your phone. I didn't look at it much further, as I really don't want it on my phone.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

What is the Best TPMS

I have read this thread a couple of times. I find it sad, the total lack of respect for dealers.

The Minnie FLX comes with a Tire Linc base station wired in the pass through. In reality all you need to do is connect the repeater to the docking station and you are done. It is not so simple. It seems that Tire Linc and Winnebago are not on the same page. You cannot buy a Tire Linc without the docking station. So, you buy the system and through the docking station away. Winnebago has told me they have no ability to sell an OEM version without the docking station.

I was excited to have a TPMS pre-wired and now I am perplexed. Here us why. The Tire Linc system is expensive, even with the docking station installed. To me a big issue is that the Tire Linc System is only addressable through your mobile phone. To have any idea of what is going on without the phone interface you need to buy a Tire pressure and alert indicator for your cab. This is an additional $84. All it does it give some warning and then you have to open your app to see what is really going on.

Sorry for the long exclamation.

I do want to point out that I looked at the current Tire Linc base station and the wiring to the battery is straight forward. So, replacing it with any other repeater requiring connection to the battery would be simple.

Based on this data i have done an exploration of the following TPMS system. Tire Linc, Tire Minder. EZZ, TST. All system includes 4 AT sensors, booster module, batteries, O-rings, safety locks, and color LCD display, except the Tire Lince system.

Tire Linc - $314 for 4 sensors + $84 for the in cab alert device = 399

Tire Monitor - $278 for 4 AT sensors

EZZ Tire - $389 for 4 AT sensors

TST 507 - $368 for 4 AT sensors

The other thing, I have noticed is that Tire Linc charges a lot more for individual tire monitoring valves. So, to upgrade would be much more expensive with Tire Linc if I wanted to monitor my truck tires as well.

Even though Tire Linc already has the docking station installed, it is the most expensive option even though it is only accessible on your phone through an app.

At this point I am leaning to take out the Tire Linc docking station and replace it with a repeater from another brand. Tire Monitor is the lowest cost and has good ratings. All the other systems seem to have similar ratings.

Welcome any thoughts!
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I looked into the TireLinc system and, like Steph, decided that it was a stupidly expensive option.

I guess I'm lucky though since my 21 Silverado is equipped with the factory towing package that includes trailer tire pressure monitoring. All I needed to do was purchase 4 GM compatible sensors at about $15 each, paid the local tire shop $10 per wheel to install the sensors, so, for $100 I've got a system that is "built-in" to the truck. I almost forgot the $10 for the sensor programming tool (you don't have to have it but it makes it easier).

If you've got a Chevy it's worth looking into.
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I too have the factory towing on my '23 Silverado and use the integrated TPMS. Agree with NomadRider - it is worth looking into if you can use it. I also use the integrated trailer backup camera. Installed it myself in about an hour. Uses the existing screen in the truck. Another great "built in" capability (factory option).
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote