Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Tires ?

Hey all, Our Minnie 2106FBS is a 2016 bought in 2017. Did over 15,000 miles in last year and the JAXXON ST205/75R14 held up very well. Now considering these tires could be 2 years or older I'm think before we set out for another FL to CA, to Mid Atlantic, to FL, jaunt at the end of May I will change them out. Since my name should be Murphy, I'm just thinking precaution plus I would be really pis... if they blew in the middle of nowhere.

So, I'm looking at the same size Goodyear Endurance, Load rating D, speed rating faster than I go, USA built, Goodyear shop network across the USA, and apparently a bit better warranty than most.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires or could recommend a similar tire that might not be at the $540 Goodyear want for 4

Safe Travels
PAT
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a set of those Goodyear tires on my 5th wheel and never had an issue. I was impressed with the quality and know they are very popular with the RV crowd and widely available. They replaced the stock Carlisle tires where I did have 2 blowouts one after the other on I90. Changing them on the side of the interstate was not an experience I want to repeat. When it comes to tires and your vacation, it's worth spending a bit more for quality and check the air pressure each time you leave.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Marty. I'm ordering them this morning
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Just a note to suggest you get them in E load rating if possible. Higher load rating means more plys, usually10-total. They can provide a higher margin of safety.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...SAAEgIAb_D_BwE

When we pulled TTs we were slow to learn this benefit.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pat, I had a set of the GY Endurance 205/75R14 on our 2014 2101DS and when we traded for the 2250DS part of the deal was to swap them from the 2101DS to the 2250DS. I like them that well. Still have a brand new Jaxxon spare.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The GY Endurance are excellent tires. I changed out my China bombs last year and have about 8,000 miles on the Endurance tires. They aren't cheap but I think they are the best tire available for my TT. The weight difference between the Endurance tires and the OEM Chinese tires is significant.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I had a set of those Goodyear tires on my 5th wheel and never had an issue. I was impressed with the quality and know they are very popular with the RV crowd and widely available. They replaced the stock Carlisle tires where I did have 2 blowouts one after the other on I90. Changing them on the side of the interstate was not an experience I want to repeat. When it comes to tires and your vacation, it's worth spending a bit more for quality and check the air pressure each time you leave.

Marty. Unless we know "why" a tire failed we can't make a claim that the failure was the tire manufacturer's fault.
Failure could be because of air loss due to tire valve failure/leak which obviously isn't the "fault" of the tire mfg. This is just one obvious example of the problem of jumping to a conclusion when the subject tire(s) have not been examined by a tire forensic engineer.

While checking inflation frequently is a good idea. The problem is that without a constant monitoring of the pressure still allows for tires to lose air while traveling down the highway for some external reason and as a result, the tire might fail a few miles or a few days after checking the pressure. This is why I am strongly in favor of using a properly set-up TPMS in addition to doing a frequent appropriate inspection.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran & RV Owner

Recommend you checkout Tyron Straps! We had them installed on our Adventurer to help with blowouts.

Www.tyron-USA.com

Our dealer LazyDays installed Tyron straps for us. Not cheap, but it gives me peace of mind knowing they are there!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #9

To determine if your tires have enaugh reserve to laws of nature, you should let me calculate that with my pigheaded system.
If they have enaugh , they can last 6 years or more, to my discussable conclusions.

If not so, you can wait on tire-failure, and replacing for Endurance with higher maxload, would be advicable.
But then higher pressure is needed, probably the full 80 psi, to give the new tires from beginning a safe reserve, and long safe livetime.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
Recommend you checkout Tyron Straps! We had them installed on our Adventurer to help with blowouts.

Www.tyron-USA.com

Our dealer LazyDays installed Tyron straps for us. Not cheap, but it gives me peace of mind knowing they are there!

Yes, Tyron straps can help control the vehicle after a front tire failure. Personally, I prefer taking the actions needed to prevent failure in the first place.

Tags
tires